Looking for mating advice for this mare

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

hpkingjr

Petionville

Postby hpkingjr » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:30 am

Another proven Mr. P line stallion would be Petionville. Four lines of female Buckpasser plus Petionville gets runners. Price is less than 6K if you foal in PA.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php? ... lor=000000
Give the Pope and the King of England a horse and in thirty days, they'll be stealing halters.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:43 am

wgc517 wrote:Madelyn,

Thanks for the explanation very helpful.

I just happened to be on "The American Thoroughbred Review" website and they list Eddington as a worst buy. Not that I put too much stock into any one source but what are your thoughts about this website. For what it's worth they also named Artie Schiller as a worst and I have one on the way.

http://www.ThoroughbredReview.com/StallionWatch.htm

That is his opinion and it's based solely on looking at the leading sire lists and the sales averages. You did your due diligence when you made your stallion choice and if you are breeding to sell and saw a sales average of 30K and you thought that was a great number do you care that someone else thinks anything less than 50K is not? He's just another one who's trying to sell a "service" so he took a few minutes to look at a stallion list. He'd sure be willing to charge you money for a detailed analysis on Artie Schiller though :roll: .

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:56 am

madelyn wrote:I really, really like this mare with Eddington.

ditto

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:09 pm

Here's another one I like, also standing at Hill N Dale,

http://www.hillndalefarms.com/indygo-shiner/

Stud fees in the higher range, but if your aim is to produce a foal that will sell well at auction, the higher stud fee horses are the way to go.

I love this pedigree of Indigo Shiner over Hen Reception,
Hen Reception is ND over Buckpasser very top and bottom of her pedigree, and that is just what Indigo Shiner's broodmare sire is; ND over Buckpasser, breeding back the best in the sire's dam. Then again, we got a In Reality sandwich going on here, Buckpasser over In Reality over Buckpasser. We know In Reality and Buckpasser love to be together in a pedigree;
just Believe It http://www.pedigreequery.com/believe+it

Find a website somewhere that tells you the auction price of the weanlings, yearlings and 2 year olds of these studs would give you a good idea of who's a good stud prospect for a foal intended for auction.

Jeff

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:28 pm

Here's another one I like, also standing at Hill N Dale,

http://www.hillndalefarms.com/indygo-shiner/

Stud fees in the higher range, but if your aim is to produce a foal that will sell well at auction, the higher stud fee horses are the way to go.

I love this pedigree of Indigo Shiner over Hen Reception,
Hen Reception is ND over Buckpasser very top and bottom of her pedigree, and that is just what Indigo Shiner's broodmare sire is; ND over Buckpasser, breeding back the best in the sire's dam. Then again, we got a In Reality sandwich going on here, Buckpasser over In Reality over Buckpasser. We know In Reality and Buckpasser love to be together in a pedigree;
just Believe It http://www.pedigreequery.com/believe+it

Find a website somewhere that tells you the auction price of the weanlings, yearlings and 2 year olds of these studs would give you a good idea of who's a good stud prospect for a foal intended for auction.

edited to add: look at that El Gran Senor over Hen Reception's 3rd dam Court Hostess, you can't get better line breeding in a pedigree. Matches up beautifully, gives me goose bumps.

edjted to add: oops, 2x3 A.P. Indy probably to close linebreeding for an auction foal, I still like it though, it's sex balanced and he's a chestnut and she's a bay, some gentetic mix there.

Jeff

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:49 pm

Ready's Image X Hen Reception

$5,000 fee at Walmac, bred to over 120 mares last year so he's HOT, would be a good auction foal.

My #1 pick. :D

wgc517
Allowance Winner

Postby wgc517 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:31 pm

Jeff,

Thoughts on Outflanker, I know the commercial appeal isn't there but it gives me the RF factor, Buckpasser, ND

If I could afford Not for Love would he be on the short list?

Eddington creates a very interesting DP profile with her.
7-14-7-2-2 (32) I am not sure if anyone else looks at this but I noticed that when there are numbers in all 5 spots it seems to produce a decent horse.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:00 pm

wgc517 wrote:I am not sure if anyone else looks at this but I noticed that when there are numbers in all 5 spots it seems to produce a decent horse.

Please slowly step away from the mare.

If you are bored I suggest Lego or a jigsaw.
Edited by Moderator

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:46 pm

wgc, I havent had time to respond to your PM on this subject. I must agree with Dublino, E DUBAI seems a logical choice for this mare, although if you want to sell the foal in KY he wont turn any heads. I tried to buy this mare a few months ago, so we share good taste in mares.
:lol:
I would caution you that you also received some off-the-wall advice here which isnt worth the cyberspace it occupies. Neophytes who havent a clue about the real world really should keep their opinions to themselves. You have a nice mare capable of producing a marketable yearling, and a racehorse. It might be best if you consulted a professional.

Oh, and PLEASE ignore crackpot schemes like DOSAGE and NICKSTER products. YOU are their target market so I urge you not to take the bait.

wgc517
Allowance Winner

Postby wgc517 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:00 pm

Barcaldine,

Thanks for words of caution, I have read enough of the posts on this board to get a sense of whose opinions I put more stock in. Although I appreciate all the responses as it can sometime foster good discussions.

As for all the gimmicks, I would never base any opinion solely on them but we must admit that even though everyone knocks them, we all probably use them to find a starting point. enicks, G1 Goldmine etc. In the end, I try to take all the info (weighted appropriately of course) and form an educated opinion on the right stallion. I wish it just didn't take 3 years to get your results....

Oh, and PLEASE ignore crackpot schemes like DOSAGE and NICKSTER products. YOU are their target market so I urge you not to take the bait.

ak1
Allowance Winner

Postby ak1 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:38 pm

I think the suggestions of E Dubai, Petionville and your suggestion of Outflanker have a great deal of merit. I do think Outflanker would limit your sales audience to the MidAtlantic, however, which could be good or bad depending on your goals. Certainly MD and PA purse structure is on the improve.

For unproven sires, Bullsbay caught my eye as Tiznow has had success with Hennesey mares. Ditto for Fairbanks.

One proven sire if you care to travel to NY is Alphabet Soup. I rather like this one for breed to race.

Best of luck with your decision...look forward to hearing what you decide!

AK

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:39 pm

wgc517 wrote:Jeff,

Thoughts on Outflanker, I know the commercial appeal isn't there but it gives me the RF factor, Buckpasser, ND

If I could afford Not for Love would he be on the short list?

Eddington creates a very interesting DP profile with her.
7-14-7-2-2 (32) I am not sure if anyone else looks at this but I noticed that when there are numbers in all 5 spots it seems to produce a decent horse.

Outflanker works for a Maryland bred, and Eddington works for a reasonable Kentucky fee. Call some of the Kentucky farms and speak to stallion managers and they will be happy to discuss options for this mare. Research offspring auction prices for stallions you are interested in and that will give you an idea of potential value. Congratulations on obtaining such a nice mare, lucky for her too.

Jeff

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Postby Bohemia » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:24 am

[quote]Certainly MD and PA purse structure is on the improve.[/quote]

Maryland; yes. Pennsylvania - wouldn't be surprised to see purses on both the thoroughbred and standardbred side start declining a bit. Check out this article from yesterday:

http://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=103354

stlouiskid
Maiden Special Weight

Postby stlouiskid » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:06 am

I like your mare. You made a good value purchase in November. Classy family, the 4th dam is the reines-de-course Claiborne mare Homespun. Pure class, she produced the great two year old Folk Art.
What are you trying to accomplish with this mare? Are you breeding to produce the best possible mating to race? Or is your goal to try and sell the foal at perhaps a yearling sale? This would be the dams third foal, so still has some commercial appeal if bred to a proper sire.
Any breeding decision would be quite different for me based on what the goal is.

wgc517
Allowance Winner

Postby wgc517 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:01 pm

stlouiskid,

The goal is to produce something within my budget that has commercial appeal for the MD FT yearling sale. If I have to race then I would but ultimate goal is to sell.