Thoughts and opinions on who to breed to?

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Thoughts and opinions on who to breed to?

Postby Mood Swings » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:54 am

I have a mare that I would like to send to KY. I'm very indecisive at the best of times. She is currently in foal (Haynesfield) and due in April. My objective is to breed for the commercial market .These are the stallions I've narrowed my list to, I've already taken some off and then put them back on.
~Gio Ponti
~Tale Of The Cat
~Quality Road
~Mission Impazible
~Tapizar
~Gemologist

Quality Road is the one I'm leaning towards, however the $25k is certainly blowing my budget and that is where I'm struggling most.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/she+aint+much

Appreciate any opinions.
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:17 pm

Have you thought about midshipman @ Darley for $10,000
Edited by Moderator

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:40 pm

I like the Quality Road angle, especially because your mare's $250,000 stakes winner is sired by another son of Elusive Quality, the vastly inferior Omega Code. Quality Road is a tall, very racey type who probably needs some substance in his mares. If your mare looks anything like her sire PHONE TRICK, I think this match makes perfect sense.

Another good reason to breed to Quality Road is that his first several books included some knockout mares owned by Mr. Evans. Those foals will be two and three years old when your foal hits the sale ring and I give him a high probability to hit some home runs from these mares.

Jane
Allowance Winner

Postby Jane » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:52 pm

Love Quality Road for the same reasons Barcaldine lists but I understand the price concerns you are having. Things have not been easy for us here in the Ontario market.

I always found Lanes End very good to deal with, maybe they can help you out a bit with the price... can't hurt to ask.

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:22 pm

Unfortunately (for me) QR is popular and they won't budge on his fee. I really like him and it is an easy decision if I'm willing to take a chance on losing $25k ...but I don't know that I am :?

Dublino - I looked up Midshipman's info and I like his first dam and race record, especially his speed. I don't know how popular he has been though? According to the Stallion book (which I realize doesn't include November or January sales) his average as a covering sire wasn't very exciting.

What do you all think about Henny Hughes? I didn't know he was back standing in KY. He's certainly affordable and was fast, my mare has thrown sprinters thus far.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:49 pm

Late night number crunching:

Tale of the Cat had 64 yearlings offered in north america in 2012 (numbers from the bloodhorse, excluded aussie and kiwi sales figures b/c they are irrelevant here). Of those 64, 48 sold for an average price of about $74,000 and a median sales price of $47,000. For stakes-producing dams, the average sales price was $92,670 and the median $42,694 (that's right, lower than the aggregate!). These foals were bred on a $30,000 stud fee, meaning that even amongst the stakes-producing dams, over 50% lost money. The ones that did hit, though, hit big. He's a very useful horse and for about $15,000 would be a better chance at making a profit. $25,000 is risky, especially for Ontario right now.

Henny Hughes' sales figures from 2012 were average $27,000, median $22,000. That's sort-of good, when the two are close it means that it's pretty well what you can expect. For stakes-producing mares, the average was $25,000 and median slightly higher at $23,000. For a $7500 fee, 50% or more of his foals will make 3 times the stud fee. Although it remains to be seen how well his foals will be running in 2 years, the horses who are running when a foal conceived this year will be bred from good mares that Darley picked--potentially a good thing. If more horses like Beholder pop up, that's potentially a very good thing.

Obviously I can't do this kind of calculation for Mission Impazible, Gemologist, Tapizar, or Gio Ponti.

Quality Road's first weanlings were VERY well received; he'll be on the bubble so it could be feast or famine at the sales. Agree that given your mare's production, he's the obvious choice.

Gio Ponti was well-received as a covering sire, but his female family has yet to have a successful sire in North America (the best chance, Cigar, is sterile). He was also a turf horse, and the north american market does not always look kindly upon those.

Regarding Mission Impazible and Midshipman, market support for sons of Unbridled' Song has started to wane, given that not a single one of them has really done well at stud (not even First Defence with Juddmonte behind him). Also, not sure if this would impact your decision but Mission Impazible will be standing in New York.

If you feel like spending big money, Quality Road. Henny Hughes is lower fee, lower return but given your market and your mare, he may be the one that will make you a profit. Good luck whatever you choose.

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:40 pm

Best of luck with whoever you choose. I am a big Tapizar fan and think he will be an outstanding stallion. From a commercial standpoint he is somewhat of a gamble but when his foals hit the ground my bet is he will get more commercial in a hurry.
"Politicians should be limited to two terms, one in office and another in jail." Anonymous

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:19 am

Hi Kimberley - just wanted to thank you for your well thought reply to my post. I appreciate the time you put into that :)