Meadowlake mare

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Kuhl
Newborn

Meadowlake mare

Postby Kuhl » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:21 am

We have a big (17.1 hand, 1600+lb) Meadowlake mare.

The mare is correct, and appears to throw pretty correct foals.

Her name is Golden Gazelle.

We're seriously considering the following:
Dunkirk - only negative here is hauling her with a foal by her side to KY and back

Songandaprayer - he is closer to us but we're a bit concerned with soundness with him

Grasshopper - he is very close, but being in Tx and being young/cheap, even though his foals look good, it is hard to say what the baby would be worth

We've been told she takes more than one cover to breed, however, we bred her last year to a qh and she took the 1st time (granted that was AI, not LC).

Thoughts?

We would be selling foal either in KY or in the Texas sale.

Kuhl
Newborn

Postby Kuhl » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:24 pm

Take of Ekati is also in the mix since we think that from a body type perspective he may work and we like the general nick.

stlouiskid
Maiden Special Weight

Postby stlouiskid » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:58 pm

Don't think you could go wrong going back to Tale of the Cat. Foal would sell well if ok physicals.

Kuhl
Newborn

Postby Kuhl » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:05 pm

stlouiskid wrote:Don't think you could go wrong going back to Tale of the Cat. Foal would sell well if ok physicals.

25k is more than we have to spend.

Tale of Ekati is in our range though. It looked like his short yearlings were received well in January.

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:11 pm

The Tale of Ekatis that I've seen at the sales looked the part and were well received, so I would think that he is the best bet if you do sell in KY. If you're going to sell in TX, I think Songandaprayer would work just as well at a lower fee.

Kuhl
Newborn

Postby Kuhl » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:24 pm

ct2346 wrote:The Tale of Ekatis that I've seen at the sales looked the part and were well received, so I would think that he is the best bet if you do sell in KY. If you're going to sell in TX, I think Songandaprayer would work just as well at a lower fee.

Tale of Ekati is right on a fee for her.

Songandaprayer is offering no considerations.

We're leaning strongly toward Tale of Ekati even though it is a longer haul for her and foal.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:46 am

ever considered a warmblood stallion. If she can pass th test you probably have a better sals prospect.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:57 am

Here's my two cents - well I guess it is really more like four cents:

Grasshopper - like the pedigree but afraid you might get a moose.

Songandaprayer - too high a fee for LA - he shipped out from KY so you would not send the foal back to KY to sell. Soundness would be my major concern also, and in LA would like this mare a whole lot better with Ide for $2500.

Dunkirk - same soundness question as SAP - that danged Unbridled's Song!! 5-6 starts for a stallion at stud is just too few.. Tale of Ekati is really interesting. But his sales figures, on a $15K stud fee, would have me running the other way. I like this mare a lot with Any Given Saturday, at Darley and half the price - I don't know how well Darby Dan works to support the stallions.

Best of luck to you with whatever you decide!
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:02 pm

I don't have time to do my usual late night statistics of average/median sales prices and so on, but what I do remember offhand is that the horses who tended to sell well at the TX yearling sales were the ones who were sired by good-value money-earning Kentucky horses (think Pleasant Tap) and, increasingly, OK- and LA-breds whose earning potential is enhanced by slot money.

I would be very cautious about sending this mare to the Unbridled's Song line, simply because she is very large. UBS himself is large and gets some large horses--if the mare already throws correct foals with good size, you don't need any more big. I would stay away from the Roberto line (Arch/Dynaformer) and the Pleasant Colony line for the same reason.

If the reason you were looking at the Unbridled's Song line is how well he has done with Meadowlake/Hold Your Peace, two other horses that have done VERY well with that line are Storm Cat and especially Deputy Minister.

Good luck.