Breed mare back to English Channel?

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Mac
Allowance Winner

Breed mare back to English Channel?

Postby Mac » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:58 pm

Partner and I bought a mare out of the November sale, Elegant Prospect by Mr. Prospector. She's 13 years old and is in foal to Point Given (D or F cross). Her 4 year old by English Channel recently ran a credible 5th in the gr 2 Bayakoa, and the 3 year old also by English Channel who I am involved in might be nice. He is recovering from chip surgery. So on the mare, if we go back to English Channel, it is rather in-bred on Mr. P. I am getting the stud fee pretty reasonable since I've been backing English Channel and have sent another mare to him. Basically I think I am afraid NOT to go back to a cross that has produced one and possibly two reasonably nice horses, although on paper it doesn't strike me as optimal. Thoughts? And thanks for any feedback.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:47 am

Pleasantly Perfect @ 10k looks good.
Edited by Moderator

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:47 am

Morning Line; puts her Mr. P right next to his Seattle Slew dam line, get the full effect of that Mr. P/ Slew nick. He'd be less than 10K, though Pleasantly Perfect is a very nice choice too. Nice Mare!

Good Luck
Jeff

http://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php? ... T+PROSPECT

Mac
Allowance Winner

thanks dublino and jeff

Postby Mac » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:52 am

Appreciate it! Pleasantly Perfect is actually one of our best other options and it is very nice to have that confirmed. Morning Line looks wow on paper as far as a cross Jeff. My partner and I usually go with "proven" as we are breeding to race, but I absolutely see what you are saying on the cross. Thanks both of you.