javana, english channel or e dubai

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Mac
Allowance Winner

javana, english channel or e dubai

Postby Mac » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:04 am

Our mare Javana is in foal to English Channel which we got very discounted last year at $5k right before he picked up some stakes winners, and we can't get to him that inexpensively now but we are still looking at well less than his stud fee. Whereas, E Dubai was $10k last year but now E Dubai is less expensive at $7.5k, has a breeder's cup classic winner, and our mare has a gr 2 placed filly by him. I am probably answering my own question: going back to E Dubai makes a ton of sense. The only reason we are hesitating is we like two turn horses, and English Channel is more likely to throw a mile and a quarter horse, which is why we also like Afleet Alex, Include, Pleasantly Perfect and a few others that can get those 10 furlong types. But hard to ignore E Dubai when she crossed well to him. So, question for anyone, does the English Channel cross look attractive given the double up on Nureyev, and since she sort of nicks with Mr. P herself? Thanks...her sire Sandpit doesn't nick all that well with a lot of sirelines. Appreciate it if anyone has any thoughts.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:43 am

Considering Ring Of Fire is an unraced daughter of Nureyev, I'd avoid using her to linebreed Nureyev.

Going to E Dubai was a successful outcross, might work again, other outcross stallions would be better than linebreeding in my opinion.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:02 am

Well E Dubai is in Pennsylvania.. the others you mention are in KY? Since English Channel's published fee is $25K yet again, if you can go to him for $5K perhaps that is really a terrific deal and you should. On the other hand you haven't seen the English Channel foal yet. Maybe you might be best to wait for that. You can always get a contract done in a day.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Mac
Allowance Winner

Postby Mac » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:17 am

great feedback, Jeff and Madelyn. Very good points both of you. Thanks! I also muddied the water this water by calling and finding out the people standing leroidesanimaux will come down quite a bit for her. the nick is a good one and I like the stallion. but e dubai makes sense, sense, sense too.

thanks both of you a ton!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:14 pm

Isn't Leroidesanimaux in Florida? That is an awfully long haul to send a very young foal to get a mare bred..
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:50 pm

leroidesanimaux; Excellent choice for the distance

Guess you'll be busy making shipping arrangements. :D

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:59 pm

If your willing to ship and are breeding to race Orientate @ 5,000 in MD is an A Nick, G1 winning cross.
Edited by Moderator

Mac
Allowance Winner

Postby Mac » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:09 pm

madelyn you are right, florida is definitely pushing it for a little one. That is the number one hesitation about sending her to Leroi.

Dublino, Orientate is an excellent choice, unless he tends to throw more sprinters than route types and we are very much trying to get the 2 turn horse. But he is a very, very good nick for her. Good call.

thank you Jeff, much appreciate the support if we decide to get the mare to Florida, perhaps even send her now and let her foal out there.

Soooo much to think about....:)

Mac
Allowance Winner

Postby Mac » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:29 pm

apologize on not clarifying Madelyn, my partner's farm is in Iowa. We almost have to ship to find stallions for our type of goal. Should have mentioned that.
thanks again for your feedback.

Ann
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Ann » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:04 am

I have two 2012 Leroi foals here on the farm and they are exceptional individuals and out of two very different type of mares.

Mac
Allowance Winner

Postby Mac » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:23 pm

Thanks Ann! Talk about reading my mind. Are they lean-leggy-scopey types or more muscled and solid-bodied?

Ann
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Ann » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:18 am

The colt is very leggy and elegant yet has a good power plant. The Filly is that solid body type. The colt is out of a Holy Bull mare and the filly's dam is by Dance Brightly. They both are bright chestnut with white star, stripe and snips. The colt has 3 stocking and the filly 1. I could go on and on about how nice they are but, I'm sure you get the idea how pleased I am with them. I'm not good at posting pictures but PM me an e-mail address if you'd like to see pix. Leroi has a super disposition and is a bit of a clown to boot...loves playing in the mud. He's also gets some riding time. They do a lot to keep all the stallions happy.