Pop The Latch mating suggestions

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Pop The Latch mating suggestions

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:44 pm

Okay I want a sprinter/miler not a distance or grass horse and producer of early speed and soundness.The mare was fast,sound and I was thinking of a QH but a TB very fast would be fine too.Stay under $5000. an old horse is fine,color I don't care size I dont care conformation is important.
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:01 am

Sylvie

I do not know how you feel about Storm Cat, but I like her with the California sire Tribal Rule, I know his fee is a little high for you, but on paper I like the match. I also like her with Parker's Storm Cat in Washington with a more realistic fee. He did pretty well in Maryland. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

DDT

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:58 am

My daughter really likes Alphabet Soup in New York...I admire his conformation but he does seem to be more distance/grass oriented,probably the influence of Cozzene dam and sire of Illiterate.
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:37 pm

Sylvie

I think you should listen to your daughter. Alphabet Soup ran 7 furlongs on the dirt in 120.79 and came back in a couple of months and won the Breeders Cup Classic at a mile and a quarter beating Cigar. He was a Cozzene that loved the dirt and he is a very nice regional sire.

DDT

ak1
Allowance Winner

Postby ak1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:05 pm

In NY, I also like Alphabet Soup, as well as, Pollards Vision ($5k stud fee), Disco Rico(love his dam line and he was MD Champion sprinter who is siring sprinters), Catienus, Touch Gold, and Bob and John.

After taking a look, I really do think you can find a great match at the reasonable fee you are looking for in NY. Best of luck!

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:14 am

Disco Rico is everything you are looking for in a stallion--sound, sound, sound horses who run early, run often, and make money. They look good, too, which never hurts anything.

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:39 am

Disco Rico? This is funny as I have an old mare retired here that is bred the same,she is in pedigreequery her name is Brin d'Acier.I did true nicks for fun with her,an A. with Pop the Latch a C+...Anyone believes those systems?

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:44 pm

Sylvie Hebert wrote:Disco Rico? This is funny as I have an old mare retired here that is bred the same,she is in pedigreequery her name is Brin d'Acier.I did true nicks for fun with her,an A. with Pop the Latch a C+...Anyone believes those systems?

I used TrueNicks just to get a hypo mating and it did say C+.....for Dixieland Band and sons with Damascus and sons/grandsons. Since they had to go back 3 generations on each side to find enough horses for the sample, I think it's pretty safe to say that the sample size isn't big enough to make any conclusions based on that.

For something like Danzig over Mr. Prospector-line mares, there is a HUGE sample size and you can make some fairly robust statistical predictions. For a very small sample size, not so much, unless it's something really special.

TrueNicks is also explicitly based on finding stakes winners on a given cross, not on bread-and-butter money winning racehorses. So if your goal is to breed a pair of nice running, nice producing horses with complementary physical type, and the pedigree match doesn't have something glaring (e.g. 2x2 to an unraced broken down nag), it isn't the tool you're looking for.

On a separate topic:

Alphabet Soup has a stakes winner and an additional winner out of two Eastern Echo mares. He also likes added Ribot blood. On paper, he's a really nice choice. Slightly out of your budget but Adena may be willing to deal. One caveat is that Cozzene and his sons will occasionally throw a straight hock--something to consider if that is a conformational weakness in your mare. That gives you two choices, so if one doesn't suit conformation-wise, the other one might. Good luck.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:12 pm

Alphabet Soup is available for well under advertised. I may have a lead for you if you pm me.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.