How to breed this mare?.... Clever Song

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Hanesph
Suckling

How to breed this mare?.... Clever Song

Postby Hanesph » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:37 pm

Wanting advice on how to breed this mare. Her name is Clever Song by Unbridled's Song out of a Clever Trick mare. Wanting to breed in KY. Is she quality enough to breed for a race prospect? I was looking into Darby Dan and Spendthrifts breed secure options.... Thanks!!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:48 am

Wait until next season.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Hanesph
Suckling

Postby Hanesph » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:51 am

Yes I am definitely waiting for early next season. But starting to research a little now so I can make plans. Seems the werkhorse site refers me to a pulpit bred stallion for her...

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:07 am

Have you spoken to the farms where the stallions are standing at? Its a good time to breeding season is calming down now..

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:28 am

If you are going to breed to race, why not breed her to a state program like NY or PA?

Breeding in Ky makes no sense (to me anyway).
The two runners listed on this Db by the mare are regional/state bred quality.

Posse in NY or Smarty Jones in PA - would by my 2 cents worth.
Edited by Moderator

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:48 am

Depending on conformation, I like her with Temple City.. you have not really given us much. How much do you want to pay for the stud fee (I would recommend staying in the $5K or under class with this mare, but maybe you think more of her than that - what is she like physically?) You will likely be racing the offspring - I do not see this mare as commercially appealing enough to bring something to the page for a commercial sales foal.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Hanesph
Suckling

Postby Hanesph » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:11 am

She is big 17 hands, very big boned, correct legged, and balanced. She is a little long over the back so would like to breed her to something more compact. Not sure how to attach photos here or I would. I also have two other mares I'm looking to breed. Dance Recital by Dynaformer and Such Time As This by Teton Forrest. Thanks for the info and suggestions!

Hanesph
Suckling

Postby Hanesph » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:12 am

Yes 5k and under stud fees...

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:22 pm

Dance Recital to in NY El Corredor in PA Jump Start
Such Time As This to in NY Touch Gold in PA Petionville

I would put these in a regional program also.
Edited by Moderator

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:46 pm

I know that you are looking for something under 5000 but Have you thought about Perfect Soul?

I saw a winner from him at Emerald Downs in Wa. There is something about him that makes me want to put his name out to you.
Call it a huntch,.

I am sorry I need to go back here. Maybe Perfect Soul for Dance Recital?

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:02 pm

I think this mare is certainly worth a shot. She comes from a significant Canadian female family...deep and strong. I wouldn't judge her totally from her two LA foals. i love Clever Trick in the BM sire positions (and not in top male)...i'll come back with some specific recommendations.

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:29 pm

I don't know whether it is possible, but PURELY on page and price range i think K One King represents a very interesting choice for this mare. I get that he hasn't exactly set the world on fire, but page wise i think he does really well with your mare. Its not easy to find Native Charger blood any more and if there's any family that it fits with, its here. Plus, you should be able to hit that for very little.

Good luck...again, I think your mare has a nice page.

Hanesph
Suckling

Postby Hanesph » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:17 pm

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am looking them up as you recommend them. Here is a link to a photo of Clever Song. Like I said, she is 17 hands tall, big boned and bodied, and very lengthy. I'd like to breed her to something that is more compact and maybe a little more refined. Her dam earned over $477,000 on the track.

Hanesph
Suckling

Postby Hanesph » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:19 pm

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:24 am

1. On paper I like her with Henny Hughes. Unbridled's Song has a huge strike rate with Meadowlake/Hold Your Peace, and has done well with Storm Cat. The cross (HH/UBS) has produced 2 stakes winners already, AND HH's best runner Beholder is out of a mare by a son of Clever Trick. According to TrueNicks, Hennessy and his sons have 73 foals out of Clever Trick-line mares, 7 of whom are stakes winners and 2 more SP. His fee is more than you said you wanted to pay but it may come down, or you may be able to get one at a season auction.

2. I think that French Deputy might be another good line for your mare. Your mare's dam's full sister has a very good runner by Forest Camp, who is now exported to Korea. Forest Camp is by Deputy Minister out of a Hold Your Peace mare--French Deputy is bred on the same cross. The Deputy Minister would hook into the important mare Victoriana and the Hold Your Peace would hook in with just about everything else your mare has. In Kentucky you can get French Deputy through Notional, in Florida through Overdriven (I actually like this cross a LOT), and in Louisiana through Smooth Air. Of those three I like Overdriven the best even though you're looking for a KY stallion.