Storm Cat inbreeding

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

jagger
Grade III Winner

Storm Cat inbreeding

Postby jagger » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:06 pm

Any thoughts on Storm Cat inbreeding? Good or bad.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:47 am

You might get a double bad actor.. there is always temperament to consider.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:56 am

The pedigree query has a for pay feature; the 'inbreeding' that lists all the horses that are inbred to Storm Cat, so you would be able to look and see if they are good runners or not.

accommodation can always be made for a runner, regardless of his disposition. A nice disposition is nice, but we'd all put up with an ass for a couple hundred grand. This is all about race horse, not nice horses.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:04 pm

Another thought on Storm Cat line breeding; what are you going to do with the resulting foal? Are you going to raise it and handle it yourself? Keep it at home? Do you want to deal with an energetic fractious hot colt?

Or are you going to keep it boarded at a farm until it's either sold at auction or sent to the trainers and the race track and pay somebody to deal with the disposition whatever it is?

I bred my mare this year to the horse with the teddy bear disposition as opposed to the one who likes to bite because race records being about even; I'd rather deal with a sweet tempered colt at home as than an evil tempered one. The sweet tempered one will have a better opportunity for a home as a pleasure or sport horse after his race career to boot.

I don't think my trainer would care much either way if the resulting colt could win races though.

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:22 pm

I have employed it with good results, as far as I can tell.

Here's the pedigree of a 2yo colt I bred. http://www.pedigreequery.com/handsomeness2

He is level-headed (darn right sweet!) good boned and very correct. 16 hands and built like his breeding indicates. He wont race until he's three.

Have several other young horses bred on the same principle. All of them are big, correct and even tempered too.

When I inbreed I am careful about the types I use. If using Storm Cat I will only breed correct and good tempered stock. No use in inviting disaster.

Here's the pedigree of a very fast colt who is inbred 3 x 3 Storm Cat. He's earned almost $1 million: http://www.pedigreequery.com/bridgetown6

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:41 pm

http://www.pedigreequery.com/istanford

If I lived in Kentucky and owned a Storm Cat grand daughter I'd forget the Storm Cat inbreeding and send her to Istan over at Airdrie stud.

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:07 pm

I have seen quite a few storm cat horses here being turned into barrels and other sports and found their temper to be very good.
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...