Marketing Mix

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Marketing Mix

Postby Cree » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:55 pm

Not that I would ever have the chance to own a mare like her, but I was curious about nicks for this mare. I read somewhere she is going to Tapit. I was wondering what would be a good fit for her, she's by Medaglia D'Oro out of a Kris S mare. Ran long on grass, with a nice turn of foot.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:49 am

Street Cry and Smart Strike are the obvious choices from the Mr Prospector line. Smart Strike would make for some interesting inbreeding to Cyane.

Dubawi would be an interesting mating. It would be a reverse cross (Seeking the Gold - Medaglia D'Oro) as Warrior's Reward, and brings in crosses to Lalun, Sir Ivor, Lyphard, Cap and Bells, Roberto, and Beau Pere. Blame would also bring in Seeking the Gold, as well as Special and Kris S.

Lonhro on pedigree for sure. Not sure how the physical types would match.

There's a lot to like about Mizzen Mast, especially with the Sir Gaylord and Prince John through Cozzene and Tom Fool through his dam. On the downside, he has a straight hind leg that he passes on, so physical type would be a major factor.

I have to confess, I'm not a fan of the Tapit mating.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:14 pm

Thanks for the reply. After reading what you said, I'd love to see her go to Smart Strike.

I guess Tapit is a "now" stallion?

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:12 pm

I see what they're doing, they're trying to replicate the cross of Gr-1 winner Laragh (out of an El Prado mare).

That said--Marketing Mix was a long-running turf mare. Tapit, as good a stallion as he is, isn't producing anywhere near the quality on turf as he is on dirt. This year he has 10 stakes winners, only one of whom won a stake on turf. Compare that to Smart Strike, who has 9 SW for 2013, 4 of whom won on grass, or Street Cry, who has a BC Juvenile winner and a Caulfield Guineas winner in the same year.

I'm of the opinion that biomechanics matter. The big money in the US is on dirt. If Marketing Mix had had the ability to run at Gr-1 level on dirt, she would have--her biomechanics are those of a grass horse, though, so she stayed on the lawn. Most likely, she'll pass on those turf biomechanics to her offspring, so you want a stallion who WILL complement those abilities no matter what, and MAY be able to bring dirt/dual-surface biomechanics to the offspring. Smart Strike and Street Cry both do that. Blame is unproven but has the pedigree to do so. Giant's Causeway, War Front, and Ghostzapper also do.

Tapit, as high-class a stallion as he is, does not do that. Neither does Malibu Moon.

More Than Ready and Kitten's Joy are the opposite--they are primarily very high-quality turf stallions who will occasionally get a very good one dirt.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:08 am

Distorted Humor
Edited by Moderator

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:22 am

dublino wrote:Distorted Humor

Awesome on paper. Physical type would be a question.

Just looking at that, I'm kind of leaning towards War Front.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:53 am

Physical Type?
Does it matter what a horse looks like once it can win?

How many AP Indy's/Bernadini's/Street Cry's look great but cant run?
Edited by Moderator

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:12 am

dublino wrote:Physical Type?
Does it matter what a horse looks like once it can win?

How many AP Indy's/Bernadini's/Street Cry's look great but cant run?

Physical type /= just looking great. I'm talking about, if she has some conformation issues that predispose a horse to injury, don't double up on them.

Just looking at that picture, Mizzen Mast wouldn't suit. She looks a bit straight behind, he's definitely straight behind and is passing that on to his foals.