Tannersmillionaire

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Rez
2yo Maiden

Tannersmillionaire

Postby Rez » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:14 am

What would be a good cross with this mare?
http://www.pedigreequery.com/tannersmillionaire
Live in Washington where speed is favorable

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:48 pm

Go for the gusto. !
Harbor the Gold in Oregon
Private Gold in Wa. are hot stallions
Grindstone is good.
He's Tops and Demon Warlock are second ...

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:14 pm

Since Tannersmillionaire is 4x4 Mr. Prospector, I'd stay away from Mr. P in the sire line, if he's duplicated again, keep it in the bottom of the sire's pedigree.

Matty G http://www.pedigreequery.com/matty+g
would be a great choice, he's among the leading sires in Washington and the Mr. P/Seattle Slew or Seattle Slew/Mr. P nick works very well.

He's Tops http://www.pedigreequery.com/hes+tops

Also a among the leading Washington sires, his dam is a daughter of Mr. P. Foal would be 3X5x5 Mr. P. (3x4).

Storm Cat or Danzig sire lines would be a good choice too.

Have fun choosing a stallion. Good Luck

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:51 am

Hope you don't mind my asking what the likelihood is that even with a complimentary stud fee that you would have a chance of making some money? If you want to breed and race in the north west, is the purse structure sufficient to make it worth your time, effort and money to get a foal raised and to the track?

If so, then Northern Dancer and Mr P are far enough back in the pedigree that I'd focus on the physical traits the mare has, figure out what you want to correct/add to and then see what stallions might be a good match that way first. If your mare is 17 hands would you really want to breed her to a 15 hand stallion just because of the genetic match or would you prefer to find a few stallions you think would produce a superior physical to your mare?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:18 am

I actually like her a LOT with Preachinatthebar - doubling up on Spectacular Bid on the bottom and bringing in some speed. Very best of luck to you !

One of the earlier suggestions in the thread - it is a good idea to critically evaluate your mare's conformation, and then physically see, in person, the horses who end up on your "short list" so that you can rule out some and hopefully end up with a nice foal.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Rez
2yo Maiden

Postby Rez » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:34 pm

Thanks for input. I like He's Tops alot. This mare has nice conformation an good bone.
Its funny with Preachinatthebar, his offspring were no sales at the last WTBA sale at Emerald, couldnt get the minimum $1000 bid.

Tappiano- Its gonna be tough to make any money running in the Northwest, but with the purse structure in Portland changing to $5000 bottom purses its worth a shot. We run in Oregon and Washington occasionaly the bushes in Interior BC circuit. We have some really nice fillies coming up from a new stud Salt Water, whos half brother sold for 57,000 at the WTBA sale. I was just looking for a proven stud for this mare. Family business of racing, just get tired of buying other peoples problems. Want one good one before my dad retires.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:02 pm

Harbor the gold is proven and gets results at the sale.

Rez
2yo Maiden

Postby Rez » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:17 pm

Very true with Harbor the Gold.....