Mating Advice-Mistymoon Lake

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Re: Mating Advice-Mistymoon Lake

Postby Jeff » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:40 pm

lytpracing wrote:I am new to the breeding side of racing and would like to get thoughts on a possible cross. She is currently in foal to Drinkwiththedevil and I would like to use a IA/MN/IL sire unless something from KY comes up in the state auctions. I am looking for a horse that can be competitive on the IA/MN circuit with possible trips to Hawthorne.

Here is the link to equineline:
http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pedig ... Y&x=35&y=1

On eNicks it was rated an A+ 1098%.

Thanks for taking a look.

Lyptoracing,

Since it doesn't sound like you'll be running a horse in Kentucky, I think you'r very wise to to select a stallion from one of the states you plan to race in, the Iowa, Illinois breeding incentives look to be pretty nice.

Again, I think the initial choice you'v thrown out there; Live From Apollo http://www.pedigreequery.com/live+from+appollo is a very nice selection.

His durability, combined with the likely speed of your mare Mistymoon Lake http://www.pedigreequery.com/mistymoon+lake is likely to be a very nice runner for the Ill/MN/Iowa circuits that you plan to compete on, there's always a possibility that Mistymoon Lake could produce a stakes winner for you, she certainly has lots of stakes winner ancestors.

Undefeated Triple Crown Winner Seattle Slew didn't have the hoity toity pedigree that those snooty types like, but he shoved it right up their gazoo didn't he :D

Sunday Silence didn't have that hoity toity pedigree they like, but he shoved up their gazoo too.

I think that Live From Appollo, a horse who won a 1/4 of a million bucks running on the race track, is as good a choice as any, considering where you want to run, and what you want to spend. If a Kentucky stallion that you like comes up cheap in a state auction, like you said, that would be a consideration too.

lytpracing
Newborn

Postby lytpracing » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:54 am

Just received a new option of a free breeding to Added Edge so more options.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:25 pm

lytpracing wrote:Just received a new option of a free breeding to Added Edge so more options.

I like him a LOT better than Live from Appollo:

*Better performance on the racetrack. He was a multiple Gr-3 stakes winner who was quite consistent. I did notice from his performance record on Equibase that he did need a race or two after a layoff. That said, he beat some familiar names like Alumni Hall (multiple Gr-3 winner), Wando (champion), Soaring Free (champion), M B Sea (multiple Gr-3 winner), etc.

*Better female family. He and his siblings ran out almost a million dollars despite being sired by useful-but-not-superstar stallions (Smart Strike being the exception). His dam's sisters also produced good-quality winning racehorses.

*He's proven and has been siring some quality. Some stakes winners, plenty of good running horses.

Pedigree-wise, I like the Mr Prospector line, I like the Crimson Satan (to tie into Storm Cat), I like the added cross to Myrtlewood, and I like the fact that his sire was a runner who sires runners, and dam was a runner who produces runners.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:25 pm

lytpracing wrote:Just received a new option of a free breeding to Added Edge so more options.

I like him a LOT better than Live from Appollo:

*Better performance on the racetrack. He was a multiple Gr-3 stakes winner who was quite consistent. I did notice from his performance record on Equibase that he did need a race or two after a layoff. That said, he beat some familiar names like Alumni Hall (multiple Gr-3 winner), Wando (champion), Soaring Free (champion), M B Sea (multiple Gr-3 winner), etc.

*Better female family. He and his siblings ran out almost a million dollars despite being sired by useful-but-not-superstar stallions (Smart Strike being the exception). His dam's sisters also produced good-quality winning racehorses.

*He's proven and has been siring some quality. Some stakes winners, plenty of good running horses.

Pedigree-wise, I like the Mr Prospector line, I like the Crimson Satan (to tie into Storm Cat), I like the added cross to Myrtlewood, and I like the fact that his sire was a runner who sires runners, and dam was a runner who produces runners.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:30 pm

I think that double Tudor Minstrel at the bottom of his pedigree makes Added Edge a possible knock it out of the ball park kind of sire. Gotta agree with KM on this one.

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:04 pm

And anything with Tudor Minstrel up close or at double dosage is bound to be durable
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...