Thoughts on this breeding plan please.

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

jellac
Grade I Winner

Re: Thoughts on this breeding plan please.

Postby jellac » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:24 am

Worksoplad -

Glad to hear that QOTS scoped out great and appears no worse for her first attempt for Black Type in a very 'salty' Grade I stakes as it turned out. Ah, well - she will learn from this AND it was intriguing that the increased distance of that race (over previous outs) + all the extra footage of her many paths wide trip did not do her in - just used up any extra kick she might have had at the end.

Have to say I'm also tickled to hear that QOTS will be campaigning in 2015 - I look for her to move up/improve her resume and am delighted to be on the lookout for her future races(!)

Worksoplad
Starters Handicap

Postby Worksoplad » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:23 pm

Thanks Jellac. I just read the following in Jay Hovdey's column in the DRF today and am really surprised:

"There is little doubt that rival agents were speed-dialing Jerry Hollendorfer and Richard Mandella before Mike Smith even hit the ground at the top of the stretch in the Rodeo Drive Stakes at Santa Anita, run 75 minutes after the Gold Cup.

Smith had just ridden Beholder to victory in the Zenyatta Stakes for Mandella, setting her up for a defense of her title in the Breeders’ Cup Distaff, and in the next race on the card he was riding the unbeaten Shared Belief for Hollendorfer in the Awesome Again, their final prep for the Breeders’ Cup Classic.

Smith went flying from John C. Mabee winner Moulin de Mougin when the filly got her left foreleg hooked by the right hind of a veering Queen of the Sand with less than a quarter of a mile to go.

“There was a shift of horses from the inside,” Smith said. “But that was all right because I wasn’t going to let her run until we straightened away. Then they shifted again. I didn’t anticipate that.”

Both horse and rider skidded across the grass. Smith was quickly on his feet, while Moulin de Mougin did a Wicked Strong and ran off after the field."

I viewed all of the replays at the Trakus website, the Telecast, the Jockey view, the aerial view, and the side view and didn't see any contact between Mike Smith's filly and QOTS. It looked to me, and the DRF chart itself states, that his filly just slipped up on the bend.

In any event, glad to see both fillies and Mike Smith came out unscathed.

http://www.santaanita.com/horse-racing/ ... ve/trakus/
"Who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, but he who destroys a good book kills reason itself." John Milton.

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:09 pm

Worksoplad - Yeah I think it was the slightest of contacts between QOTS and Moulin - I saw an interview with Mandella, the next day where he was asked if Moulin had come out of the race OK and he said she seemed to be fine. Went on to say she had a huge brush burn/scarpe down her one side, where some of her skin was kind of drawn up in what thankfully was a mostly surficial scrape from sliding on the grass but she was happpy and bouncing around her stall that morning. Then he went on to say something about Mike was cutting the corner at the turn, making a big sweeping move up on the outside when he indicated he may have made that cut a little too tight - there was some slight contact with the horse to his inside. I think there might have been a quick cut-away to an interview with Mike where he said he may have cut it a bit tight and 'just' clipped the hind hoof/foot of the horse inside of him. What I thought I saw was almost more like a quiver or shiver in your horse indicating the barest of contact with Moulin, but immediately my attention was drawn to Moulin, who fell dramaticly, her legs sliding out from under her as if she'd suddenly lost her grip on the turf, falling on her haunch/flank, spinning like a top and it seemed QOTS was untouched, continuing on, never lost her stride, never took an extra step or hopped, etc. It all happened so fast with no obvious sign of contact and then all eyes/the camera was on the fallen Moulin, quickly moving away from that. QOTS was poised/positioned to make her own move - IF she still had it in her - but I think the extra long trip she'd already run plus the unexpected contact may have just shut her down as far as getting fired up in the lane. Still she did not waver, fade, or appear totally worn out and racing at that distance, in that company was a BIG step up for her so I think she has every reason to improve as a race mare from that experience. I was relieved to learn later in the day that Mike Smith was indeed OK - going on to major race success later that day. Also relieved to hear the next day from Mandella that Moulin appeared fine if a little bruised/skin scraped for her misadventure.

I'm very glad all involved have come out none the worse for the wear.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:21 am

tatts horses in training catalog out now
http://bloodstock.racingpost.com/news/b ... 28095/top/

http://docs.tattersalls.com/cat/autumnh ... it2014.pdf

filly's rated similar to Queen of the Sand lightly raced 2yr olds
lot 151 Arriana
lot 152 Puck Fair
lot 206 Folk Law (rated 6lbs higher than QoTS)
lot 101 Cadeaux Power (3yr old still a maiden)

with american prize money so good I don't know why more owners don't buy nice young proven horses than breed.
Edited by Moderator

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:56 am

Point well taken. Thanks for link to catalog.
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:59 pm

American bred horses are the best in the world, that's why little green thing.

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:58 am

Jeff wrote: "American bred horses are the best in the world..."

This parochial opinion certainly wasn't borne out by the worldwide buyers assembled at Tattersalls. Its elite Book 1 sale just set the highest cumulative aggregate ($134,169,659) in the history of a European Thoroughbred auction and a Galileo colt sold for $4,400,448, the highest price for a yearling in the world this year. Of the 414 horses offered, 336 changed hands for a cumulative average of $399,315 and overall median of $253,872, also both records.
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:34 pm

The object of this thread is mating advice for Queenofthesand to an American stallion. It's trollish to go beyond mating advice and suggest the owner go buy one in Europe instead; It's nasty and rude. It's exactly why there is sparse postings on these threads.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:32 pm

Jeff, I did not find it so. The OP bought Queen of the Sand, a European bred mare who raced only in Europe prior to being acquired and brought to the US to run in California. It was, perhaps, off topic, but actually since the OP plans to continue to campaign the mare the whole stallion selection thing has been somewhat tabled for now.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:07 pm

The topic starter: Worksoplad- has been more successful choosing horses to purchase, and making breeding decisions that resulted in success, certainly more so than anyone who has commented on the thread. :)

Mac
Allowance Winner

Postby Mac » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:52 pm

Worksoplad....congratulations on the stakes win! I hope the first of many!!!! She beat some quality fillies. Very cool....

Worksoplad
Starters Handicap

Postby Worksoplad » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:45 pm

Thanks Mac. Can't watch the race too many times!! She was ultra impressive. Mike Smith didn't have to move a muscle!

http://www.calracing.com/live-video/replays/

http://www.drf.com/news/smith-queen-san ... day-stakes
"Who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, but he who destroys a good book kills reason itself." John Milton.

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:37 pm

Worksoplaid -

Congratulations! I had an appointment yesterday afternoon/evening (I'm two hours later in Texas from the Santa Anita program) so did not get to see the race until I watched the replay at the link posted. Most excellent run by QOTS and Mike Smith's comments on her demeanor and way of going say it all - this race mare is in great form and ready to deliver on the promise of some of her earlier races. Well done, well done indeed!

Worksoplad
Starters Handicap

Postby Worksoplad » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:47 pm

Thanks Jellac.

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:22 am

...and most important of all - you got your picture published in TDN (along with a nice writeup).

Congratulations. I have a feeling that KEENOV 2015 may be a distant option?