Thoughts on this breeding plan please.

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Worksoplad
Starters Handicap

Re: Thoughts on this breeding plan please.

Postby Worksoplad » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:11 pm

Sorry Dublino: I was in Hawaii the last week, sans computer.

Yes, Mymatechris won the 32Red All-Weather Marathon Championships Conditions Stakes at Lingfield. This race was worth £93K to the winner. I bred my mare Splendeur to High Chaparral. I sold him as a yearling for 65,000 euro at Goffs. This was his 5th win out of 11 starts.

Queen of the Sands is running tomorrow at Santa Anita in the Santa Barbara Handicap (G-3).
"Who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, but he who destroys a good book kills reason itself." John Milton.

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:29 am

Best of racing luck today.

By coincidence I read the following in today's TDN and remembered your original post soliciting breeding options for Queen Of The Sand. You might profitably target the British market. For what it's worth True Nicks rates it an A++.

“It was a case of deju vu all over again at the Tattersalls Craven Breeze-Up Sale as a son of War Front topped the event on a bid of 850,000 gns.”
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

Mac
Allowance Winner

Postby Mac » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:41 pm

Congrats Worksoplad! She was magnificent. SOOOOOO happy for you!

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:57 pm

Another graded win! Congrats!

hpkingjr

Postby hpkingjr » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:19 pm

Beautiful win. Congrats.
Give the Pope and the King of England a horse and in thirty days, they'll be stealing halters.

Worksoplad
Starters Handicap

Postby Worksoplad » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:48 pm

Thanks everyone. Yes it was a beautiful race. Mike Smith, QOTS's usual rider was in Charles Town for the ride on Shared Belief, and he recommended Drayden Van Dyke (who he has been mentoring for quite a while) for the ride and gave him a few pre-race tips which he carried out to perfection.

All being well with QOTS, we are aiming her next for the Gamely Stakes (G-1) at SA at 1 1/8mT on May 25th, Memorial Day weekend.
"Who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, but he who destroys a good book kills reason itself." John Milton.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:47 am

She has really been a neat horse to follow.
I am wondering what your thoughts are on breeding her now. Since she is a graded stakes winner, and G1-placed. Obviously, no breeding yet, but have your thoughts changed on a stallion? I read back and Candy Ride and Blame seemed to be the #1 and #2 picks for you at the beginning of this thread.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:56 am

Congratulations, Worksoplad!

Worksoplad
Starters Handicap

Postby Worksoplad » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:34 am

Cree: I am still thinking very seriously of Blame and Candy Ride. I want to try to breed a dirt horse even though most of QOTS's breeding is turf. With Blame, I am kind of intrigued that his and QOTS's female line both trace to Thong. And Blame is starting to show promise as a stallion. Candy Ride has worked really well with Storm Cat line mares. And now QOTS has shown she can get 1 1/4 miles, albeit on turf. She did, however, win three times on synthetic in Ireland at 7f and a mile.

I have already turned down several sizeable offers for QOTS!! My wife and I are having a great deal of fun with her at the Racetrack.

The Gamely Stakes on Memorial Day will be another big step up for her and there will probably be some high flying fillies and mares making the trip from back East for this race. But several of the stakes horses she has been running against have been retired or sold to foreign purcasers at last years Horses in Training Sale. La Tia was just recently retired to be bred. Poor Diversy Harbor was injured in Saturday's race and has also been retired.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:39 am

Enjoy the ride. It's all very exciting. You have 2 wonderful options in Candy Ride and Blame.

Worksoplad
Starters Handicap

Postby Worksoplad » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:44 pm

Well, I have updated this thread because I am now ready to rumble.

QOTS's earnings have gone past $500,000. She is a G-3 winner, G-1 2nd, and Multiple Graded Stakes Placed.

Do I 1)sell QOTS this November; 2) Breed her and sell her next year in foal; or 3) breed her and keep the foal?

I am comfortably off and don't need the money , so one way or another it will not affect my lifestyle.

Would I be able to get her into a top stallion in America, i.e War Front, Tapit, Uncle Mo, etc? Or should I send her back to Europe?

Any other breeding suggestions?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:11 am

I would imagine you could get to any stallion you want. What a lovely position you are in.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Worksoplad
Starters Handicap

Postby Worksoplad » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:22 am

Thank you Madelyn. What would you breed her to if she was yours?

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:04 pm

Congrats on your success with her.
One thing to keep in mind, many of the most popular stallions are likely be full already and probably have for a while. You could look to the TCA auction that runs in January, they always have a few really big named stallions who tend to be full and then convert the NG season to live foal with an insurance policy.

That being said, what are your long range plans? If you are looking to keep racing why not sell her in January (putting her under lights starting in December so she'll be ready to be bred when the shed opens) and look to buy a two year old out of one of the spring sales. She'd attract attention with her race record and may wind up in the book of a stallion that you would not be able to get to.

Worksoplad
Starters Handicap

Postby Worksoplad » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:36 pm

Thanks Tappiano, but there really isn't a decent sale in January. Also, I have kind of had my fill of the racing side of the business, after owning horses since 1989.

I understand the problem about full books, but I do have good connections in Ireland and England so could probably get in to most turf stallions I wanted to over there. However, I would like to try her with a dirt stallion over here. She has quite a bit of dirt breeding in her pedigree (Storm Cat, Woodman/Mr. Prospector, Buckpasser, etc.).

Also, there are quite a few people with shares in stallions who may be willing to sell, even if a particular stallion is booked full already.