Thoughts on this breeding plan please.

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Altanbarr
Allowance Winner

Re: Thoughts on this breeding plan please.

Postby Altanbarr » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:10 am

Might not have the commercial upside of Blame or Candy Ride, but Violence is a big, pretty horse that would double up on Storm Cat over Blushing Groom. By, Medaglia D'Oro. Could get dirt or turf. Soundness should not be an issue given your mare's race record.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:17 pm

If you're not put off by 3x3 Woodman, QOTS' running style and pedigree are well suited to More than Ready. A foal by More than Ready out of QOTS would be on the same cross as Verrazano. They run, they win, they'll sell, median sales price is high enough relative to his stud fee that you're likely to make a profit, and if you choose to keep and race, far less expensive than the likes of Tapit or War Front.

If there is a ding on Candy Ride, it's that his foals are not as sound. In 11 crops, only one fewer than More than Ready, he gets 68% runners and 51% winners to foals, as compared to MTR's 82% runners and 61% winners (edited because I backwards numbers made the).

bluejayjack
Suckling

Postby bluejayjack » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:30 pm

I certainly wouldn't write off Lemon Drop Kid. If you look at his performance as both a sire and a broodmare sire - he is one of those under the radar and the nice thing is he can be just as influential on dirt as turf. He appeals to both the American and European market - more than Kitten's Joy it appears these days.
And it won't be long before they pension him so the chances of getting to him are running out given he was born in 1996. Just something to ponder and consider. But you have the leverage with the performance your mare has had on the track - you can get her into just about anyone and have the ability to negotiate with farms. Whether a book is full or not isn't going to matter given her performance and graded stakes status - farms are hungry to breed their stallions to mares like yours.

Best of luck to you!

Worksoplad
Starters Handicap

Postby Worksoplad » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:07 pm

Would this inbreeding be too close up in the pedigree? (Gleneagles/Queen of the Sand. Gleneagles is out of You'resothrilling, a full sister to QOTS's grandsire, Giant's Causeway.)

http://www.truenicks.com/free-reports/h ... and%20(IRE)
"Who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, but he who destroys a good book kills reason itself." John Milton.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:12 pm

The resulting foal would be 3 x 4 to Storm Cat and Mariah's Storm. I don't think that's too close on paper.

I think the deciding factor would be physicals, if you can view him. Since there is a lot more linebreeding than just Giant's Causeway and You'resothrilling, I'd want to make sure the type isn't fixed so strongly that you're likely to double up on major faults.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:34 pm

The best horse so far out of a FootSteps mare has been
http://www.pedigreequery.com/log+out+island

Dark Angel is up to 65,000 euro now.

I still stick by my Candy Ride choice and his latest star Mastery looks a good un.
http://www.pedigreequery.com/mastery10
Edited by Moderator

Worksoplad
Starters Handicap

Postby Worksoplad » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:55 pm

kimberley mine wrote:The resulting foal would be 3 x 4 to Storm Cat and Mariah's Storm. I don't think that's too close on paper.

I think the deciding factor would be physicals, if you can view him. Since there is a lot more linebreeding than just Giant's Causeway and You'resothrilling, I'd want to make sure the type isn't fixed so strongly that you're likely to double up on major faults.

Thank you Kimberly. Obviously, I only have his photograph from the Coolmore Website, but he sure looks great to my unscientific and inexperienced eye.

He was a precocious 2yo, and a brilliant miler at 3, and I don't think he had any injuries

http://coolmore.com/stallions/gleneagles/?farm=ireland
"Who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, but he who destroys a good book kills reason itself." John Milton.

Worksoplad
Starters Handicap

Postby Worksoplad » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:05 pm

dublino wrote:The best horse so far out of a FootSteps mare has been
http://www.pedigreequery.com/log+out+island

Dark Angel is up to 65,000 euro now.

I still stick by my Candy Ride choice and his latest star Mastery looks a good un.
http://www.pedigreequery.com/mastery10

Thanks, Dublino. I did look long and hard at Candy Ride, but I must admit, I am still leaning towards Claiborne's Blame, to line-breed to Thong, with the hope that I could get into their War Front the following year.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:39 pm

Obviously, I only have his photograph from the Coolmore Website, but he sure looks great to my unscientific and inexperienced eye. He was a precocious 2yo, and a brilliant miler at 3, and I don't think he had any injuries.

I think he has a lot going for him, starting with massive coalescing of talent in Mariah's Storm.

Eight of her thirteen foals have black type, a huge number even when considering who she was bred to, and one of those foals was not only a champion but is the most important conduit of his superstar sire and a perennial member of the top 10 in north America. Of the remaining stallion sons, one sired 2 Gr-1 winners off of good but not superstar mares, one was sent to Chile and sired Gr-1 winners there, and one went to South Africa where he was a useful source of talent. Huge strike rate.

Of her daughters, only three are old enough to have foals of racing age and every single one of those has produced a graded stakes winner. The oldest of those daughters is You'reSoThrilling, who has produced three graded winners (including 2 Gr-1) from four foals of racing age. Again, even considering who they were bred to, that's exceptional.

Proven sire family, his sire is off to a good start as a sire of sires, serious talent on his own, coalescing of talent in his immediate family (meaning whatever Rahy and Immense passed on to Mariah's Storm is being passed on and how) and sound.

Worksoplad
Starters Handicap

Postby Worksoplad » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:14 pm

Thank you for your insightful response, Kimberley. I always appreciate reading your responses on this site.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:29 am

Madalyn said a few years ago on this thread it was to early to think about a stallion choice because when the time to choose came to be, there would be many new choices. Well there's a new choice: Lucky Pulpit sire of California Chrome. The winningest American horse of all time is California bred California Chrome. Haul Queen Of The Sand to Lucky Pulpit, he loves the Woodman and Buckpasser in her pedigree. Breed her to LP and then ship her north to a farm like Paradise Road Ranch, Daehling Ranch or Victory Rose where they board mares for a reasonable price. Get the California bred owners and breeders premiums if you run the foal, get another California Chrome. I think Queen of The Sand and Lucky Pulpit could be the thing. The Kentucky crowd will hate it, but the greatest runner in the world right now is California bred California Chrome. 4X4 Mr. P Linbreeding looks to be the ticket.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:42 pm

There's no good reason to send a high-quality turf mare like Queen of the Sand to a dirt stallion like Lucky Pulpit.

Just like you wouldn't send a high-quality dirt sprinting mare to a horse like Flintshire.

Worksoplad
Starters Handicap

Postby Worksoplad » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:18 am

Thanks for all of your input. QOTS is now in Kentucky and I have signed a contract to breed her to Claiborne's Blame for her first foal.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:37 pm

That sounds like a perfect match. And he was your original choice for her. All the best with her, it has been fun following her career.

Worksoplad
Starters Handicap

Postby Worksoplad » Sun May 06, 2018 4:59 pm

QOTS had a b/br filly on February 11, 2018. She was bred to American Pharoah on March 11 on a foal-sharing agreement with Coolmore and has tested in foal.