Keen on Kash quarter horse mare

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Keen on Kash quarter horse mare

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:22 am

I am thinking of frozen semen of Dash ta Fame...What do you guys think?close linebreeding.
Factoring all the costs that will be a $12000. baby when it hits the ground. May be safer to do 2-3 embryos...
And looking to choose a TB for a couple more embryos for racing.any suggestions?
I do have some free breedings to a couple of them but no speed horses.
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:12 pm

HOnestly, I mean to say this in good nature. Being in the west, I have seen ALOT of QH come our way to get ready for the Slaughter holding facility in Utah and I would say to you, buy the Qh horse as a foal than bred the QH mare. THere are so many QH out there that need homes that you can use to race. I am not trying to start a fight it just, if you can see the horid conditions of the holding grounds- it's to steer away from breeding Qh and Paints. There are large amount in Tx that are racers that are headed to auction that were seized a while ago. Just buy them.
Karen

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:46 pm

I know that.... having a refuge for years I picked up hundred of horses from those feed lots,including my old pony. I was in trouble here on the forum for telling people "do not bred cheap horses" and "be responsible of what you produce".That mare is one of the last daughter of one of the best producer of quarter horse racers of all times and broodmare sire and is in all our top barrel horses here and abroad,she is a stakes producer from an exceptional female family,all dams are stakes horses and producers.These are the ones that should be bred not the average ones. As a matter of fact she is so highly regarded as a broodmare that every single farm I sent her name to approved her,even for the most exclusive stallions.So I have to pick and choose.
And,I always keep track of my horses,some people here know me well and can testify to that.She is not going to be bred for a fast buck,and will not be carrying a foal with her knees and all.I will do embryo transfert. I never throw away the non runners.If she stays she has a home for life and her babies will not only have the best sires I can afford but will be followed tru their entire life. Until my demise I mean.But all my animals are in my will,to be humanely put down when that will happen. and they have the best of care here, just ask the old geezers hanging out in my fields.For the ones who know me,my old appy pony is here,the one who ran the pony races in LA,the mare I ran in Florida in 1993,she was a rescue then and is in my paddocks here and name a horse I ran I will tell you where he is and what he does .I do keep tabs,always, and if all of you people would do the same,there would be no unwanted horses.
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:55 pm

By the way I was not looking to buy horses,I just happened to hear that mare was going to the meat auction and I called the guy and bought her sight unseen because she is so valuable for the future and I felt sorry for her and for what she represents.I offered her here to real breeders,no takers so far and being an old sick bored woman I got into my head that I would bred her to preserve that line and enjoy myself in my last years. So I am studying what is better and how to do it,I have no experience in embryos and insemination you know so I hired the best and is checking all this,real interesting.Everyone advice is welcome...

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:52 am

I had never thought about going to the slaughter pens to find race prospects..

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

IcouldbeU
Maiden Special Weight

Postby IcouldbeU » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:09 am

Sylvie Hebert wrote:I offered her here to real breeders,no takers so far and being an old sick bored woman I got into my head that I would bred her to preserve that line and enjoy myself in my last years. So I am studying what is better and how to do it,I have no experience in embryos and insemination you know so I hired the best and is checking all this,real interesting.Everyone advice is welcome...

Maybe you should have advertised her to QH folk and not to the TB forum. After all your lectures on not breeding, all I can say is DO NOT BREED THIS MARE...you yourself said, you are a sick old lady...how many times have horses been put into a spot because their sick old owners could no longer take care of them????

Skipitgirl
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Skipitgirl » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:38 am

Im afraid I agree on not breeding her. You are going to spend WAY more on embryo transfer, breeding fee etc than what you will get back. WAY more. You arent preserving a line. Its just the natural progression of certain lines becoming further back in the pedigree. Let the mare live a nice retirement.

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:11 am

You did not read all,did you?all my animals are in my will and I do not think that older people are the ones sending horses to the auctions,killers or rescues,majority are wealthy owners and trainers,just check the tattoos on most like most rescues do.And don't tell me that the Asmussen are sick and old....And I will lecture again:Do not breed cheap useless horses that you cannot keep tabs on.I have a "fiducie"(sorry in french) to take care of everything once I am gone and my will is very clear thank you.
And sadly I see again that TB people are prejudiced against ather breed racing.Too bad the standarbred people are like that too, if we had been able to unite years ago in the 80's and we tried again in the 90's there would still be racing here,but standarbreds did not want to share facilities for the summers,now no more racing....
Even recently QH people wanted to built a racetrack here,I and a few others suggested to lease an existing(Trois-rivieres) non demolish racetrack well located midstate next to an highway and in the middle of horsemen services(vets,tack,feed)with everything,gambling permit,club house restaurant and all.The only need would be a removable surface so depending on the season standarbreds would use it for their meet,and gallopers for their mixed meet.They turned it down,wanting a track in their area on their own land(Beauce area),far from everything and no other breed,well a complete flop again.
Lot's of people have the means to do it but only if they team up with others,sadly they would rather not have anything than having to share.And here no more racing...
Quarter Horses are "made" with TB's and their industry right now is healthier than ours,Standarbreds far in the past also based on TB,Appys and paints and morgans and more the same.We should team up all the racing industries,whether TB,QH,SB,Arabs,Appys,Paints ...pulling carts or riding,otherwise we are doomed in some venues. Snobery and prejudice do not reward our sport.We are in trouble and fighting each others will kill us.
Divide to conquer they say....I say unit to survive...

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:32 am

And Griff I never tought of going to the killer pens for racehorses either...let's go together and sponsor a rescue race for broken down slow horses...without papers.
I did run on barrels and raced some horses considered "meat"
by others but shopping in those pens???Come on this is absolutly ridiculous. Why not going after the ones who send them there? Or bred them without any regards as to where they will end up?
Lot's of TB'sent up there too(some tracks have resorted to punishing trainers and owners if found out) and QH in these pens are not all racehorses,most are simply riding horses and young ones too.
Lot's of big race breeders and owners are now sponsering retirement centers,I wonder when the riding horse people will get involved in this.
In the past few years at "meat" auctions lot's of Haflingers down our way.It is like dogs,after the dalmatians movie lots of dalmatians in the rescues because of a fad, as humans are the same all around the world.But we digress,last post on this remote subject.

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:35 am

So,my daughter is considering Swissle Stick a TB, he was an incredibly fast short horse,and really well made,his price tag considering his breeding can testify to that and contrary to the Green Monkey he did race as fast too. She is thinking QH racing or/and Barrels evidently.Anyone knows that horse ?

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:33 am

Sylvie,

http://www.stallionsnow.com/stallion-ad-59623

Preferred Platinum, he didn't race due to injury, but he has a stellar pedigree at a reasonable fee. By Chicks Beduino, out a Dash For Cash mare 2nd dam by Easy Jet.

Jeffr

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:37 am

Please take QH discussion to the allbreed board. If you use pm's you can discuss qh or anything else but please keep threads and posts on topic about Thoroughbreds.

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:58 am

Swissle Stick is a TB half to Brother Derek. He stands in New Mexico was bought by Bob and Beverley Lewis for $600,000. very fast work at the sale and after too.Always first out of the gate and blazing quarters. He also is a very colored stallion for the color people here with white face and white in his mane and white legs plus outstanding conformation.Look at the pictures.He sold one filly of his first crop at the select yearlings of Ruidoso for $23,000 not bad for a $1000 stud fee but after I checked found the dam is graded stakes winner Alice K White...and his first foals are 2012 yearlings.Anyone saw some of them?

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:00 pm

Snowbound Thoroughbred by Meadowlark would be a good choice too, he stands at Doc Allred's Rollimg A. Ranch at private treaty, migbt get a good deal on him for a mare bred like that. Looks like we better keep this about TB stallion choices Sylvie :D

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:01 pm

Pedigree is too devoid of early speed.I think he is a gorgeous horse but weak close female family