look at this pedigree please

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

3nutmeg
Maiden Special Weight

look at this pedigree please

Postby 3nutmeg » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:34 pm

Could someone look at this mare's pedigree and see any good points in it? Pedigree wise is there any potential or usefulness as an out cross?

http://www.pedigreequery.com/theoakportduchess

Thanks. This may be a no brainer to some.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Re: look at this pedigree please

Postby dublino » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:46 am

She is a 15yrd old mare with 2 foals and no winners.

I wouldn't be rushing to reccomend her to be bred.
Edited by Moderator

3nutmeg
Maiden Special Weight

Postby 3nutmeg » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:07 am

Thanks Dublin.
I'm interested in out crosses to Mr.P and ND.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:53 am

Unfortunately she comes from a family of not very talented runners on both the top and bottom of her pedigree. She seems unlikely to produce a racehorse no matter how she is bred.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:51 pm

I concur. But there are some old lines represented in the pedigree of some interest for curiosity sake.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

3nutmeg
Maiden Special Weight

Postby 3nutmeg » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:15 pm

Joltman, hypothetically, what old lines interests you and how would you utilize this pedigree?

By the way, the purpose of breeding a thoroughbred doesn't always have to be for racing.

3nutmeg
Maiden Special Weight

Postby 3nutmeg » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:58 pm

Though I realize this is a racing site, I'm interested in older lines.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:32 am

3nutmeg wrote:Joltman, hypothetically, what old lines interests you and how would you utilize this pedigree?

By the way, the purpose of breeding a thoroughbred doesn't always have to be for racing.

Since you asked on a racing site, you got racing opinions. If you're interested in breeding her for a sport horse, the best place to ask your question would be here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/forum.php

3nutmeg
Maiden Special Weight

Postby 3nutmeg » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:50 pm

Thanks LB I realized my mistake later. I appreciate your opinion. I was also looking at another mare that was unraced but had several foals who earned good money. I understand about whether has a good race record or family, I'm interested in unusual or old blood lines. They're not always well bred. Has there been any raceorse that has outran his pedigree?

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:44 pm

3nutmeg wrote:Thanks LB I realized my mistake later. I appreciate your opinion. I was also looking at another mare that was unraced but had several foals who earned good money. I understand about whether has a good race record or family, I'm interested in unusual or old blood lines. They're not always well bred. Has there been any raceorse that has outran his pedigree?

There have been many horses that have outrun their pedigrees but trying to breed one, unless you are blessed with tremendous luck (and in that case you should be buying lottery tickets) would almost certainly be a money losing proposition.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:19 am

If the desire is so strong to look "past" the pedigree to get a racehorse (ie: a horse that could outrun its pedigree) then the paramount considerations at that point are functional conformation, airway, distance aptitude, etc. You might be better off doing this with a cheaply bred mare that earned six figures the hard way and going to a stallion like that also. In something like 75% of all the US TB's around, you will find "old" bloodlines.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:51 pm

3nutmeg wrote:Joltman, hypothetically, what old lines interests you and how would you utilize this pedigree?

well, to look for something positive, one could find interest in the presence of Alibhai twice on the dam side but somewhat far back. He had some influence in siring a Derby winner (Determine) and as bm sire to a couple of notables (Flower Bowl). But I find little to like in the sire - Broadway Bill. Only other thing is that up close she is an outcross from most major sires in American pedigrees - ND, MP, Secretariat, Seattle Slew, et al. But their ancestors do show up in the rest of the pedigree, so she's not that unusual.

There's something to like in every pedigree - but race results in the sire and the female family indicate she is not likely to sire a runner of note.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

3nutmeg
Maiden Special Weight

Postby 3nutmeg » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:41 pm

Thanks Joltman for explaining your point. I appreciate it.