SMART GOSSIP

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

SMART GOSSIP

Postby mightyhijames » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:58 am

we're thinking of breeding SG back this year and would appreciate suggestions. ideally to a Maryland stallion but open to mid-atlantic and Kentucky, about $10K range. thanks.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: SMART GOSSIP

Postby Cree » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:47 pm

I am no expert, but Smart Strike mares with AP Indy sire line do well. There are some real gems in Maryland from that sire line. The Friesan Fire's look fantastic. Super Ninety Nine is a new one for Maryland by Pulpit. There are a couple new Tapit sons at stud there too.
Cal Nation has AP Indy as a broodmare sire.

I also think Smart Strike does well with the Storm Cat sire line. I can only think of Lion Hearted off the top of my head there.

They are all under $10,000.

Ice Box in KY for $7500 gets you Pulpit/Tabasco Cat.

vaponydoc
2yo Maiden

Postby vaponydoc » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:31 pm

I will put a plug in for my stallion, J J's Lucky Train. He is starting his career in WV this year. By Silver Train (A.P. Indy line), JJ is a graded stakes winner of over $463,340. He won the G3 Bay Shore S., Miracle Wood S., and placed in multiple other stakes races.

His sire, Silver Train, had two stakes horses that I know of out of Smart Strike mares -- Mollys MissB'havin, out of Sunup, and Cee n' O, out of Gone Bye Bye.

I would be happy to answer any questions you have about JJ. He has a website with lots of details, including contact info, www.jjsluckytrain.com, plus a page on the Blood-Horse Stallion Register.

Hope you have a successful breeding season,
Anna

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:57 pm

On pedigree, Dance with Ravens is a no-brainer. He has a horse who won almost $200k out of a Smart Strike mare (looks like the only one out of a Smart Strike of racing age) and he has 5 winners out of 6 to race by Broad Brush, of whom 2 have won more than $100k. No stakes winners out of the lot, just good ham and eggs runners.

If you're willing to spend up to $10k and you're interested in AP Indy, Jump Start in PA is the best of that bloodline in the mid-Alantic by a long, long way.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:34 am

Doesn't that put the resulting foal inbred to Classy 'n Smart really close up??

I love love love Jump Start, never thought of Pennsylvania.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:06 pm

A foal by Dance with Ravens would be 3x3 to Classy'n'Smart.

I had a closer look at Great Notion and for $500 more than Dance with Ravens, he is doing a very useful job. Improving his mares, getting 5% SW.

Jump Start is still miles the best in the mid-Atlantic, but Great Notion might be better for a racing prospect than Dance with Ravens in Maryland.

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

Postby mightyhijames » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:38 pm

thanks for the thoughts. dance like a raven was my first thought when I originally purchased SG but we went in another direction. funny, but my racing partner has been talking about great notion for a while. he'll be thrilled to hear he got a shout out.