NY stallions

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

3nutmeg
Maiden Special Weight

NY stallions

Postby 3nutmeg » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:40 am

Does anyone have any thoughts on Premium Wine and Trickmeister as regional stallions in NY? I'm thinking of breeding my mare Wheely Pink this breeding season. I'm breeding to race. I realize these 2 stallions are not proven, but they have to start somewhere. From what I know Trickmeister was trained by Rick Dutrow, so I'm not sure how much of the horse was in the race. I do think he was badly used. I don't know why Premium Wine has a $5,000 stud fee, I could go to Posse for that much, which I'm also considering. My mare was lower level, but I like her siblings. I appreciate your thoughts on these 2 stallions and any other NY stallion at $5,000 or below. Would be looking for a well balanced stallion, the mares pasterns are a little upright.

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Re: NY stallions

Postby ct2346 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:09 am

Good to hear that you are breeding to race and that you realize that she represents a bit of a longshot. If she were mine, I would try to spend as little as possible on a fee, until you get one on the ground and see what she can throw...ie does she throw to the stallion or herself?. To that, I would consider Bustin Stones and Simmard. But visit them first and check out the physicals. I would think that you'd be able to arrange deals on either. I have one of the latter on the ground here and I think it may be because of the mare, but she's very big and very regal. The former will likely bring some speed into the picture which probably wouldn't hurt Wheelaway...

3nutmeg
Maiden Special Weight

Re: NY stallions

Postby 3nutmeg » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:30 pm

Thanks CT, I appreciate your thoughts on this. Could you you tell me why you chose BustinStones and Simmard, besides the stud fee? They're doubled up on Mr.P and ND. I'd like to not have too much of them in a pedigree. I know that sounds naive. More info the more I can learn. Thanks.