Unbridled's Song mare.

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

windyr
Maiden Special Weight

Unbridled's Song mare.

Postby windyr » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:21 am

I have a young Unbridled's Song mare out of a stakes winning Flatter mare. She was a $170,000 yearling and is 16.1 hands. In would appreciate recommendations on stallion options in the 20,000 - 30,000 range.

Kari
Allowance Winner

Re: Unbridled's Song mare.

Postby Kari » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:19 am

http://www.truenicks.com/free-reports/h ... tic%20Eyes

I am NOT at all qualified enough to make any kind of recommendation, but I was able to generate these reports. There's always the physical attributes of each individual to take into account, as well as whether you are looking to breed to race or sell, where you want to foal, etc. etc. I'm looking forward to the input of someone who is qualified to make a recommendation! :D

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:48 am

Unbridled's Song's best offspring tended to be from four main lines: a return of Unbridled's ancestors (Fappiano, In Reality, Aspidistra), Dehere, Hold Your Peace, and Dehere. Your mare's recent family is not very strong, although some of that is the stallions they've been bred to: when your mare's 2nd dam was sent to a GOOD stallion (Flatter), she got a stakes winner.

Pedigree-wise, that makes Midnight Lute look very attractive. He already has a stakes winner out of an Unbridled's Song mare. He is a big horse and his offspring so far aren't especially early. It's not hurting him, but being that big and with your mare by a sire who throws big, it's a consideration. Another consideration is that your mare's family has had some success with Deputy Minister (Badge of Silver) and Dehere brings that in.

Bringing in Storm Cat and Holy Bull is Munnings, who is off to a solid start as a young stallion. He started out as a modestly-priced horse and has done extremely well, so there is potential for big commercial upside here. He also has a stakes winner out of an Unbridled's Song mare.

On the bubble this year is The Factor. This horse was very fast, and he brings in Rubiano via War Front's dam. He's gotten really strong yearling sales from both the US and Australian buyers....so somebody is liking what they are seeing. That said, his immediate female family has been tailing off except for him, and he doesn't have any really good stallions under his first three dams.

I'd rank them Munnings, Midnight Lute, The Factor on pedigree. Munnings gets the tip over Lute based on consistency. On physical is a different matter.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:44 am

First Samurai @Claiborne $15,000

http://www.bloodhorse.com/stallion-regi ... st-samurai

One of his best runners out of a Fappiano line mare resulting in Justin Phillip

http://www.pedigreequery.com/justin+phillip
Edited by Moderator

windyr
Maiden Special Weight

Postby windyr » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Kimberly, thanks for the detailed analysis. I totally agree about Munnings. I think he is a steal at $25K. Any thoughts on Tonalist ($40k)?

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:11 pm

If your budget stretches to $40k, go for City Zip. They run, they win, they'll sell, a filly will be gold as a broodmare prospect.

Tonalist has AP Indy/Unbridled through Tapit, plus the large Pleasant Colony as a broodmare sire. Both UBS and AP Indy are large, heavy-bodied horses. If you double up on that, you may wind up with a moose. The other thing about Tonalist is that his best wins by far are going long. Is your mare's family a sprinter/miler one? If so a miler-type might be a better fit.

Below your budget at $15k is Twirling Candy, who was 2nd on the first-crop sires list (behind Uncle Mo who is off to a blinder of a start). He has a Gr-2 placed colt out of a UBS mare and he ticks a lot of boxes for UBS: Fappiano via Cryptoclearance, In Reality via Chester House, and Lady Juror (a key mare for the Tartan legacy) via both Lyphard and Blushing Groom. I'd put him third behind Munnings and Midnight Lute.

hpkingjr

Postby hpkingjr » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:43 pm

Another low budget thought would be Morning Line. Incantation inbreeding has resulted in about a 12% black type strike rate. The AP Indy 3x4 inbreeding is a little iffy. ML also had In Reality and Lyphard.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php? ... OTIC+EYES2
Give the Pope and the King of England a horse and in thirty days, they'll be stealing halters.

windyr
Maiden Special Weight

Postby windyr » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:27 am

Munnings is fully booked. I have applied for a season to City Zip and will know what they decide tomorrow, since the stallion is getting down in age. If not, I will try for Twirling Candy if he is still available.

hpkingjr

Postby hpkingjr » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:59 am

Pennsylvania Stallion auction ends tonight. Twirling Candy for $8,000.00
Give the Pope and the King of England a horse and in thirty days, they'll be stealing halters.

windyr
Maiden Special Weight

Postby windyr » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:03 am

Mare bred to Tonalist and confirmed in foal.