Rachel's Valentina

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Affirmed1
Allowance Winner

Rachel's Valentina

Postby Affirmed1 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:38 pm

Now that she is retired from racing, who would you pick for her first mate?
8)

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Re: Rachel's Valentina

Postby Toccet02 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:19 pm

I doon't know her body type, but Trappe Shot might be fun for 4 X 3 AP Insy and a Fappiano dupe, too . . .
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:18 pm

http://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php? ... lor=000000

TIZNOW

Nice 4X4 inbreeding/linebreeding in the 4th generation, just like Les Brinsfield likes. http://www.i-announce.net/IAN/load.phtml?id=pedigree

Also, http://www.pedigreequery.com/morning+line5 Grade I winning millionaire Tiznow over A.P. Indy cross for an example to copy cat.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:27 pm

Valentina is a small filly, and because of that I would exclude any of the larger stallions for her first foal. Tiznow looks amazing on paper but he is a very large horse. Same with his sons. Nobody from the Unbridleds Song line, definitely not Midnight Lute, no sons of Dynaformer, and although pedigree-wise they match up extremely well, not the Empire Maker line.

Good thing that leaves some excellent horses.

War Front is attractive for a couple of reasons: Danzig over AP Indy works well, he's the right size, his physical type shouldn't conflict with hers, and he has that Rubiano line. With a cross to Quiet American on her sire's side and Cure the Blues on her dam's, she has plenty of the old Tartan Farms blood, and it likes to be bred back to itself.

Distorted Humor is as classy a class act as you can get. Size won't be a problem with him, and, like War Front, physical type shouldn't be a huge disadvantage. Next year might be the year to use him, since he's getting up there in age. Of the two of them, I like War Front better, but that's personal preference.

Speightstown is also a top class stallion and not too large. I put him behind War Front and Distorted Humor as his niche is exceptional-quality speed and she has that already. Pedigree-wise there's nothing wrong, but nothing really to like such as Rubiano and Quiet American together.

Outside the box is Munnings, who has everything good about Speightstown with three powerful advantages his sire doesn't have: Holy Bull, Lord at War, and La Gueriere. That matron brings in a line to Secretariat without extra Storm Cat or Gone West and is a source of considerable class. Holy Bull ties into Quiet American and Cure the Blues (I'm a Chatterbox's second dam is by Cure the Blues), and AP Indy sired a multiple graded stakes winner on a full sister to La Gueriere and three winners out of four named foals out of Lord at War mares. Pulpit was similarly successful with Lord at War, as is Malibu Moon. On top of that, Munnings has a stakes winner out of an El Prado mare and another out of a Medaglia D'Oro mare. If Valentina is being kept as a foundation mare for a powerful broodmare band, Munning not only looks to be doing everything right, he brings in everything I'd want to see for breeding successful daughters...and his current results are all off of a $10k fee.

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:48 am

Curlin! He's 16.2, so perhaps too tall, but a nice cross.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:08 pm

I thought about him, but passed by due to his size.

Strictly on pedigree for Valentina, Dominus is the son of Smart Strike I like best.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:18 pm

What about English Channel?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Keith
Grade III Winner

Postby Keith » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:32 am

Lemon Drop Kid is who I would consider

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:42 am

Madelyn, Valentina's breeding is mostly dirt as far back as her 4th dam...of the group Medaglia D'Oro is the best turf talent. Bernardini has sired some good grass runners, most of whom are down under.

If RV had any grass breeding or moved like a grass horse, English Channel might be a good first foal, especially a filly. Since she doesn't have grass breeding and doesn't move like a grass horse, I'd be afraid of getting one that doesn't run well on either.