G1 "project" mare

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Affirmed1
Allowance Winner

G1 "project" mare

Postby Affirmed1 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:25 am

The mare in question is by Lasting Approval and is a Grade 1 turf winner.
Her dam produced 4 stakes horses. All four stakes horses produced
by the dam were fillies, all ran on turf, and all had Lord at War somewhere
in the stallion's pedigree.

The subject Lasting Approval mare has been a bust so far as a producer.
She has a gelding by Giant's Causeway who is a winner, but did little.
Her colt by Ghostzapper has one minor Graded stakes placing, but did little
Her colt by Tiznow never raced.
Her filly by Medaglia de Oro placed once on turf.
Her colt by Awesome Again never raced.
She has a yearling filly by Animal Kingdom.
She lost her Point of Entry foal and is bred to Silver Max.

Who would you pick for her subsequent mates? Do you write her off as a poor producer
at this point, or do you try to breed her to someone turfy, maybe even a European
stallion? Do you try to get her to a stallion that carries Lord at War, since that
cross seemed excellent with her dam?

I've followed this mare and family for awhile now, and I'm wondering what the board
thinks. :?:

Altanbarr
Allowance Winner

Re: G1 "project" mare

Postby Altanbarr » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:16 pm

Smart Strike produced Dominus out of a similarly bred mare. How about another son of Smart Strike, e.g., Lookin at Lucky. Or, they could get real aggressive and use Dominus.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:38 am

Lasting Approval is out of a Lord At War mare. If Honey Ryder is the mare in question though, well the stakes sibs were actually BY Lord At War. Also Honey Ryder appears to have been bred "commercially" ie: to high priced stallions to try to ring bells in the sales rings without consideration of the anomalous nick that produced her. Lasting Approval produced nothing else like her, Ever. I wonder what in that match caused lightning to strike? Since Dominus is out of her half sister I don't see that as a strong strategy. But Smart Strike has hit a few times with that family and that might be a starting branch. Maybe English Channel?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:08 am

Since it seems to be Lord at War with that family (and Lasting Approval is out of a Lord at War mare), I'd look at good racehorse stallions with a line to Lord at War.

Munnings immediately comes to mind, who not only doubles up on Lord at War but super-producer La Gueriere: Lasting Approval and Munnings' dam are half siblings. Pioneerof TheNile is out of a Lord at War mare, and an excellent stallion, but at this point is probably too much for Honey Ryder.

English Channel I like based on the Smart Strike line but more importantly he sires good racehorses who run and win and earn their living.

The other line that might work with her is Dynaformer...too bad she lost her Point of Entry foal. Dynaformer did very well with mares with Lord at War, including Purim (out of a daughter) and Rainbow View (out of a granddaughter). I like Temple City (with first three dams by Danzig, Mr Prospector, and Green Dancer) better than Point of Entry (with first three dams by Seeking the Gold, Pleasant Colony, Nijinsky) for getting the Dynaformer line but not so much stamina there's nowhere to run the foal.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:02 pm

I too like the Dynaformer line too bad Brilliant Speed is gone. He might have been another good choice. That Buckpasser on the bottom...
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:37 am

The more I think about Munnings, the more I like him here.

He's doing well with just about every mare he sees, he's improving his mares by a lot (and not just because of I'm a Chatterbox), he's clocking in at 7% SW from foals with his first foals only 4, and he's doing so at a very reasonable fee.

Affirmed1
Allowance Winner

Postby Affirmed1 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:46 am

Thanks to everyone who responded. I really appreciate the opportunity to learn. :)

qb2dan
Weanling

Postby qb2dan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:06 pm

Breed her to City Zip . He is by far in my opinion the most successful underrated Stallion in the country . He can breed a Donkey and get a runner !!!!