Broodmare to be. How 5k can be 1000000

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Jusanothafox
Newborn

Broodmare to be. How 5k can be 1000000

Postby Jusanothafox » Fri May 11, 2018 11:36 am

I was very intrigued and thought that I would share some information on a horse that I am considering for purchase.

I wrote some of this myself and some is the opinion of a very wise handicapper that does not even own a horse. You may call me crazy, but the reality is I support this and I am going to invest and put everything I can into my thoroughbred adventures.

I would like first to look at the horses I am talking about in comparison. Leslies Lady, dam of Beholder, Into Mischief, and Mendelessohn. Also Leslies Ladys dam, Crystal lady....

Insight from him,
"It really matters little what a filly does on the race track because breeding is another entirely different part of the breed. But breeding has always used the philosophy that "breeding the best colt runners with the best filly runners will give them a potential champion and bring huge prices at sales". The latter part of that statement can not be more true, but the first part has proven to be flawed time after time. Breeding the best with the best will get you a solid runner occasionally but it is far from being reliable. However, owners do overpay for that type of breeding and that will always be the main reason breeders will continue to breed those types.

Crystal Lady made have won only 2 of 6 starts but her bloodlines in impeccable. A couple of her dams were bred on both sides to distance late runners and the results were breeders got horses that sat too far back to make an impact in distance races, much less sprint races. However, Crystal Lady's sire, Stop The Music, was a high class 2 YO that raced against Secretariat 4 times and could not beat that horse, but was awarded the win in the Champagne S when Secretariat tried to salvage him as the latter was going by for another win. Stop The Music also set the track record at Belmont for 5 1/2 furlongs as a 2 YO and the mile record at Belmont as a 3 YO. So while Crystal Lady showed flashes of Stop The Music's speed, she really did not get the opportunity to stretch out to a distance that would flatter her bloodlines. But the potential was in her to produce a top horse.

Leslie's Lady was the result of putting more speed in her breeding through Tricky Creek, a mid distance runner that showed a lot of speed throughout his racing career. And while she won one small stakes sprint and ran 2nd in another, when she has been bred to mid distances son from the Storm Cat sire line, she has produced graded stakes winners with 3 of her 4 chances. But when bred to other lines, including Curlin twice, she has produced very little and only a maiden winner in 6 tries.

So understanding when a foal needs more speed or when distance needs to be added is more important than breeding the best with the best. And if you look at the breeding of all Ky Derby winners over the last 40 years, you will be hard pressed to find one winner with both the sire and dam who were major winners as runners. Not saying there are none, but there are many more who had only one side of their pedigree that performed well on track and near the distance of the derby."

Now hereThis is the horse that based on this opinion I believe will produce a possible Horse of A Lifetime. Yes she is still for sale, why post this because she reallyan amazing mare. Not only is she grey, but all aspects are she will produce an amazing horse as long as she is bred to a stallion that enances her style. Grey Goddess pedigree suggest she wants at least a mile on her sire side and even more than that on her broodmare sire side. Starting with Mizzen Mast and going to Grey Sovereign, this line perform their best at a mile, especially on grass. actually, her great grandsire, Caro, is also the sire line of Uncle Mo through another one of his grandsons. Uncle Mo was also a miler and he is producing horses than stand out at a mile, also.

But Grey Goddess broodmare sire, Bet Twice, finished 2nd in the Ky Derby & Preakness before winning the Belmont S by 14 lengths, foiling Alysheba bid for a triple crown in 1987. Bet Twice was a solid runner that got stronger the further he raced. Not many heard of him as a sire but that was because his owner was only in the racing side of the game and not the breeding side.

Now if you look at Grey Goddess race record, she raced 29 times mostly on dirt, but did not compete in any race further than 6 furlongs, even though her breeding suggests she would need at least a mile to be competitive. So it does not surprise me at all she was only able to win twice. She basically was a horse that was asked to do something her pedigree suggested she would struggle at. The fact she finished in the money nearly 50% of the time only points to a horse that wanted to succeed, but was comprised by trainers not believing and/or using pedigree to guide her. A Huge Mistake that is very common in the racing world!!

Her current price is I believe some place like $3000.00, Yes three thousand...
Wow....Comments please?????