Looking Ahead to 2020--Mating Advice Requested

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

jpshindel
Newborn

Looking Ahead to 2020--Mating Advice Requested

Postby jpshindel » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:43 am

I'm curious as to the group's thoughts on mating options for my mare Rowd E Allie, by E Dubai out of Pining (Pine Bluff). Her page is here: https://www.pedigreequery.com/rowd+e+allie

Allie herself was the product of some mating advice received on this forum: https://www.pedigreequery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29573.

Allie won 7 times in 27 starts and earned a little over $292k. She was a dirt sprinter on the track and 6.5f was the maximum distance where she competed well (we tried 7f in a couple of stakes--including the GII Barbara Fritchie--and she couldn't quite carry her speed that far). She performed in stakes but never hit the board to get the blacktype, though she finished 4th in a couple minor stakes races.

She is 16.0hh and correct (perhaps a little long-backed). She raced from 3-6 and never had any significant injuries, though at the end of her career she had a little bit of wear and tear in one ankle from racing and training.

She currently is believed to be in foal to Mineshaft. The resulting foal on paper will be very similarly bred to Effinex, who also is by Mineshaft out of an E Dubai mare with Pine Bluff as the broodmare sire of the granddam.

This is purely breed to race and primarily I race in PA (sometimes in MD, DE, NY and NJ as well), so the foal will be PA-bred to take advantage of those rewards. My current thought is to breed her to Weigelia. The Danzig/Mr. P nick is well-known. Allie also has Cosmah twice in her 5th generation (once through Halo and once through La Dam Du Lac). Weigelia brings in 2x Northern Dancer, which means the resulting foal would have multiple lines of Almahmoud, which IMO can only be a good thing. It's an extra bonus that Weigelia stands at the farm (WynOaks) where Allie is boarded as a broodmare, so there will be no travel, and I will get extra incentives under the PA-bred program for having a PA-sired (in addition to PA-bred) foal.

The downside I see is breeding pure sprinter to pure sprinter and potentially getting a foal that can't carry the speed even to 6f.

Regardless, I know enough to know that I might be missing something and would be grateful for any insight as to other options out there. Thanks in advance!

madelyn

Re: Looking Ahead to 2020--Mating Advice Requested

Postby madelyn » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:35 am

Wow that is a lot of Northern Dancer. Just wondering if Warrior's Reward is still at WynOaks - I might like him better for your mare. Longer distance and more pedigree punch in my opinion.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

jpshindel
Newborn

Re: Looking Ahead to 2020--Mating Advice Requested

Postby jpshindel » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:21 am

Thanks!

Warrior's Reward is still at WynOaks. Very good point about the distance; I will take a closer look at him. I initially leaned more to Weigelia because (IIRC) Warrior's Reward's AEI is pretty significantly below his CI, which always gives me some trepidation, while Weigelia has improved some pretty weak mares. Having looked at the hypo-mating of Warrior's Reward and Rowd E Allie again just now, I do like the cross on paper.