first year mare

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

perryT200
Weanling

first year mare

Postby perryT200 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:06 pm

my buddy says first year mares are not the best because the foal doesn't have the room to grow as much as a second+

but sometimes he likes to talk about stuff I don't know anything about so i just have to check to see if he is full of crap

thoughts?

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Re: first year mare

Postby pfrsue » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:53 pm

Both Arrogate and California Chrome were first foals. They seemed to do pretty well.

perryT200
Weanling

Postby perryT200 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:16 pm

I never said my buddy was smart; let alone a student of history.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:28 am

There are other factors. First foals can be "small" especially if the dam is a very young filly. If the mother is not fully grown you might end up with a small horse. Both Arrogate and California Chrome were out of '06 mares so Arrogate's dam was 6 and CC's dam was 4 when each was bred. Some people will breed a two year old filly because they Can. Even a three year old if she is not fully developed may not be ready. Think about the mother as having a finite set of energy, nutrition and minerals required for her own body and now having to put that into factory production and share it. You might consider wanting the mother's body to just not need that to finish her own body's production or what can happen if you make her split it with a foal. Some TB's are precocious and have long bone growth concluded at 25-28 months and some not until 30+ months. It's really a case by case kind of thing.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....