Storm Cat and Nijinsky

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

TomFool
Allowance Winner

Storm Cat and Nijinsky

Postby TomFool » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:13 pm

I am starting to look hard at pedigrees of stakes winners that share these two sons of ND. Anyone that has some more to add plus do so as it would be greatly appericated as of now I have:
G1 winners
Black Minnaloushe
Nebraska Tornado
Grand Armee
High Yield
Good Reward

G2 winner
Tale of the Cat

Stakes winner
Cat Genius

TomFool
Allowance Winner

Postby TomFool » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:43 pm

add Pure Prize to that list, also for anyone that has seen him in the flesh how bad are his knees? Thank You

freddymo
Maiden Special Weight

Postby freddymo » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:23 am

I know that 8 mil colt at Keeneland fit the bill.. Storm flag Flying I think is going to be bred to Seeking also.

freddymo
Maiden Special Weight

Postby freddymo » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:26 am

Shug has a 2 year sensational choice

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:38 am

Add Sky Mesa.
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

freddymo
Maiden Special Weight

Postby freddymo » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:59 am

my bad again lol Seeking is not Nijinsky.. Heavenly prize gets him from damn side

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:57 pm

TomFool, I saw Pure Prize last spring and was shocked by how much he toes in bilaterally. But for all the hype about how he doesn't pass it on to the foals, the sales averages of his weanlings wasn't very high for some reason. I suspect the younger foals looked great, then became more toed-in over time.
Rocking H

KAL
Starters Handicap

Postby KAL » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:59 pm

Not sure where the info concerning the Pure Prize sales averages is coming from... Stallion Register lists his 2004 weanling average to be $53,000 (and more importantly the median is $42,000), while even in the absolutely dismal Keeneland January sale, the average was $60,000 (and the more accurate median $20,000).

His January numbers, while not good are still better than many, many other similar stallions, and probably are not in any way reflective of what to expect in the future... except to possibly point to the fact he may not have gotten the strongest group of mares from top to bottom.

Either way, poor mares or no, those are decent numbers for a $7,500 stallion. Also, since we have seen several of the Pure Prizes, including the one we feed everyday, I will attest that I haven't seen anything to suggest that he passes on those hideous legs on a consistent basis, or that his foals have consistently toed-in... of course, perhaps, they still might. Nature can achieve some rather remarkable things.

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:07 pm

KAL, have you or others seen many of his foals? I wonder if he is one of those transparent stallions that allows the broodmare's characteristics to shine through rather than stamping them himself. As I recall from going through the Keeneland yearling results, Pure Prize had a large range of sales prices. Don't know if it was because of the mares, the stallion, or both.
Rocking H

KAL
Starters Handicap

Postby KAL » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:28 pm

I saw all the ones in Keeneland February, a few at a couple different farms, and I have one of my own. I had a couple pictures sent to me of a couple in the Keeneland Jan sale, and discussed them with someone who was there.

I cannot really say he is transparent, because I don't really know what all the dams looked like. However, only a couple of the ones which have been offered were truly miserable (which is a couple less than many other stallions). On the other hand, because of certain "practices", you cannot count the very top sellers as being "special" enough to truly warrant those prices.

Overall, the Pure Prize foals seem to have good size, good bone, be fairly correct, and none showed any signs of having the front-end woes of their father. Personally, having seen Heavenly Prize many times, and looking at the severity of Pure Prize's problems (and truly watching him walk and move) I am not convinced his problems are totally genetic, rather they could be a form of defect. As such, I was hoping to see what I have seen so far, no signs of the problems being passed along.

Some of the limiting factors for the sales of his foals will be less about conformation and the input of Pure Prize, and more about the actual "page" of the foal. He got some decent mares, but he got a lot of questionable ones also. I also don't think we have seen his best yet, either. I think we will see some real good ones in F-T July and Kee Sept. It will be very interesting to see how the foals progress and grow and how the mareket reacts to him.

freddymo
Maiden Special Weight

Postby freddymo » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:24 am

Kal, what are your thoughts with respect to Heavenly Prize's confirmation?. I have not seen Good Reward up close ,but he took to the grass beutifully. I still think they would like to get at least a grade 2 win on the dirt with him. Any thought on why the Seeking the Gold/ Storm Cat cross is so potent?

Respectfully