Ad for Buddha in 1/22 Blood Horse

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

LSB
Grade II Winner

Ad for Buddha in 1/22 Blood Horse

Postby LSB » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:43 pm

I just got this week's BloodHorse and there's an ad for Buddha on p.429. In the photograph, portions of both his front legs have been rather crudely and obviously redrawn. What makes the retouching so odd is that the photo used is the same one that appears in the Stallion Register--without the enhancements. Anybody have any ideas what they were trying to do? :?

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:55 pm

I suspect they were trying to move the image by computer onto a different background and didn't do a great job.
Rocking H

patrick
Maiden Special Weight

Postby patrick » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:46 pm

He is wind swept in front

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:19 am

He didn't appear windswept when I saw him. Nevertheless, the touch-ups done in the ad wouldn't correct that. And the background is the same as in the stallion register.

It just looks very odd; I can only assume that somebody made a mistake.

toadie
Allowance Winner

Postby toadie » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:42 pm

Excuse my ignorance, but what does "windswept" mean? I saw Buddha not long ago and think his pics. don't do him justice. He's quite handsome.
"Most people hate the taste of beer to begin with. It is, however, a prejudice that many people have been able to overcome."-Winston Churchill

Joe
Starters Handicap

Postby Joe » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:03 am

A Stallion owners best tool is Photoshop Professional. It took awhile to get on to it, but since I use it myself, I assume all stallion photos are doctored unless otherwise convinced. Buyer beware.

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:27 am

Joe, it's not the fact that the photo is doctored...it's that it looks as though a child colored in Buddha's front legs with a non-matching marker. :shock:

toadie, a horse that's windswept has legs that are crooked but both facing the same way. For example, the left front turns in and the right front turns out...they are both turned in the same direction. I believe it's thought to have something to do with the way they were lying in the womb.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:38 pm

Hmmm -- if that's the case, then it wouldn't likely be hereditary. Anyone got further data on the "windswept" condition?
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

Sam
Chef de Race: Intermediate

Postby Sam » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:18 pm

LSB wrote:Joe, it's not the fact that the photo is doctored...it's that it looks as though a child colored in Buddha's front legs with a non-matching marker. :shock:

Having finally received the issue in question .. the photo hasn't been doctored, the printing of the picture was screwed up.

It's the same ad they've run for him before but something must have happened when it went into the system for the layout this time and it looks like water spots. They are all through my copy of the ad ... one below the foot, one on the legs and several more through the print copy.

They weren't trying to 'hide' anything .. someone just screwed up in the lab.