Leading Freshman Sire of 2005...an easy choice...or not?

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Derby2004
Starters Handicap

Postby Derby2004 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:33 am

I did try looking for runners out of crow daughters, and of course you were right. Nothing. Thanks for the input. You have given a lot to think about with Alke.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:53 pm

hi Derby2004

You seem to put a lot of thought into the process...and are enthusiastic to boot.

I am confident you will make a decision that you are comfortable with.

Best to you always.

Respectfully

Derby2004
Starters Handicap

Postby Derby2004 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:21 pm

FOS, what do you think about Gimmeawink or Pure Precision?

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:03 pm

hi Derby2004...

Pure Precision may be interesting. He's an average size but very strongly-made son of Montbrook with plenty of bone...but he has offset knees...and I suggest they are not just ever-so-slightly offset. Certainly that's not a death sentence...but if this is a trait he passes on (to a large degree)...it could create a potential hurdle or obstacle...at least at the sales. But a good one by G3 Sapling winner Pure Precision will probably attract plenty of attention from the pinhookers.

If the mare you might select for Pure Predision has a very good front end (and/or has a history of producing that kind)...he may be a stallion that could do you some good.

Gimmeawink is a nice horse...but as a stallion prospect...I suggest that his racing at Philadelphia Park...Laurel...Mountaineer and Delaware (for the most part) raises some questions...not the least of which may be...Why not Aqueduct, Belmont or Saratoga (since he raced primarily in the northeast)? If he had won (or even placed) in a nice race at any of those tracks, his appeal may have been enhanced (for obvious reasons)...and some questions may have been answered.

As far as his pedigree is concerned...I am not comfortable (for starters) with his dam's sire (T.V. Commercial) as a broodmare sire of sires...and I expect that his female family may come under serious scrutiny.

Regardless...Gimmeawink is a multiple stakes winner by the "hot" and very successful young sire Elusive Quality...and (if for no other reason than that) may be worthy of consideration.

Derby2004...have you narrowed your possibilities to a short-list ?

Best to you.

Respectfully

Derby2004
Starters Handicap

Postby Derby2004 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:49 pm

My short list is as follows:

Gimmeawink
Pure Precision
Snuck In
Flame Thrower

Any suggestions FOS?