Swain as a BM sire

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

TomFool
Allowance Winner

Swain as a BM sire

Postby TomFool » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:01 am

How do you all think he will do as a broodmare sire? I think there is potential here. Nashwan like Swain was a very nice horse but not the greatest sire. He was ok but nothing special. Swain seems to be pretty hit or miss as a sire so far & is overpriced at 25k. If you take a look at his top three & 3 out of his 5 stakes winners they are Dimitrova who is out of a Caerleon mare. Muqbil whos second dam is by Nijinsky & Stanley Park who is out of a Storm Bird mare. He seems to be fitting the bill with the Blushing Groom/Nijinsky nick. I throw Storm Bird in as well with him being bred similiar to Nijinsky. Of course they are young and unproven but are not setting the world on fire in the sales ring which is good for me. I remember when you could barley give those ugly Dynaformer young mares away. Overall his books of mares have been average with Shadwell supporting him well. He is def worth a look for me & my taste & was curious as to others opnions on this topic?

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:19 am

His CI is 2.47, indicating that he has gotten some pretty fair mares, and his pedigree is chock-full of the names of great broodmares and great broodmare sires. If you have the chance to grab a nice young Swain mare from his first couple of crops at a decent price, I think you'd do well to take it. You'd have to be more careful picking and choosing from mares sired during his "bubble years" because the quality of a stallion's book often drops off then, and for a broodie prospect you want the female family as well as the sire.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:45 am

I'm a great believer in buying broodmare prospects by very well bred stallions that perhaps haven't set the world on fire themselves, which is why I picked up a filly by Coronado's Quest last year. Swain, like Coronado's Quest, was bred to some wonderful female familes, many of them owned by Shadwell themselves. If you can tap into one of those, then I wouldn't worry about the fact that Swain is the sire.

By the way, in the interest of full disclosure, I have a certain fondness for Swain as I own the Storm Bird mare that produced his runner Stanley Park. :wink: