Black Hawk

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Black Hawk

Postby ZiaLand » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:39 am

I'd like to hear any insights on the stallion Black Hawk(GB) - by Nureyev out of Silver Lane - especially from our forum members Down Under, since I understand he shuttles from Japan to Australia (may be old information). Has anyone seen this stallion or his progeny firsthand and what are your comments or opinions? Anyone know what percentage of SW he's producing and does he have any GSW? Does he have any progeny in the US? (The database is only listing one offspring probably due to most being foreign.)

Also, can someone clarify Black Hawk's earnings for me. There seems to be some confusion. Is it 652+ million YEN which translates to $5 million dollars US, which is how I'm reading the database info? Or is it 5 million yen which I think is around $400K US, which is what someone else stated previously in another thread?

Thanks!
Laurie
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:53 pm

* bump *

Trying again. 8)

Flight
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Flight » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:40 pm

Hi Zialand

I haven't seen Black Hawk as he shuttles to Eliza Park Stud in Victoria and I'm located in New South Wales. I do remember a feature of him on a weekly breeding show some time back and he looked OK to me. But then again, they all do when running and playing in their paddocks. :)

His first crop are only yearlings over here. As far as I am aware only seven have gone through the sales ring at this stage which was last month at the Magic Millions Gold Coast. Top priced lot was $170k and they averaged $73.5k which is not bad for a $13,750.00 fee (inc tax). I did have a good look at the lot out of Balmacara given that she is an aunty to one of our young mares. He was a very nice type and I thought he would make more than the $65k that he fetched. The local buyers are usually cautious with first season shuttle stallions. Too many have been burnt in the past.

He served 103 mares in his first season and 70 in his second. Not sure about last season as yet.

He also has about eight yearlings catalogued for the William Inglis Melbourne Sale next month. Haven't checked the Magic Millions Adelaide sale but I would assume he would have a few going through there.

Sorry, but that is the best I can do. There doesn't appear to be any comments on one of our local breeding forums either so I can't even ask someone that may have sent a mare to him for their opinion.

BTW, his prizemoney was 652,670,000 Yen.

Cheers

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:31 am

Flight, thanks so much for the info. Very helpful. :D

Laurie