Sarava vs. City Place

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

LC
Maiden Special Weight

Sarava vs. City Place

Postby LC » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:30 pm

Which of these will have the most commercial appeal? Why?

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:31 pm

hi LC...

Kind of like asking...what would you rather have for dinner...Liver...or Ox tail ? Neither choice might be considered very "appealing" to many.

Sarava could run all day and is by Wild Again...Yawn.

City Place was bred to run a quarter in .21 flat but didn't make it to the races...and is by Storm Cat...Yawn.

Answering your question though...I suggest that sons and daughters of Sarava might appeal to racing stables that are not necessarily looking for a brilliant...early two-year-old...but recognize he showed some genuine ability on G1-Belmont day...and is out of a Deputy Minister daughter (to boot).

City Place on the other hand might have some appeal to pinhookers...since he was bred to be fast and early...and is out of the brilliant millionaire Glitterwoman.

Sarava and City Place...opposites in so many ways.

Respectfully

ef
Maiden Special Weight

Postby ef » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:41 pm

Hi LB,

City Place worked like a champ but was retired last year because of a broken foot. I keep notes on horses I follow, and I had copied the little DRF article his retirement was reported in. Here it is (I apologize if this violates any copy copyright laws; I'll remove it if it does!):

DRF:
"McLaughlin said City Place, a 4-year-old maiden for whom McLaughlin had high hopes, has been retired because he broke his foot.
City Place, a son of Storm Cat out of Grade 1 winner Glitter Woman, was nearing his career debut when he injured himself in a work at Palm Meadows on Easter Sunday. City Place's last five works at Palm Meadows were bullets.
"He was cut out to be a real nice horse," McLaughlin said. "He's a grand-looking horse."
City Place, who is owned by his breeder, Joe Allen, will enter stud next year. McLaughlin said it's unknown where City Place will stand."

While City Place is just another Storm Cat, he is a very nice looking horse who had real talent. On the other hand, he had a variety of problems, culminating in his fracture of P3.

Sarava, on the other hand, was a classic winner. However, he was, in my opinion, one of the slowest classic winners you'll ever see (right up there with Commendable, IMO). Sarava also seemed to have soundness issues.

I personally think City Place is the better bet. He has a good deal of class, though he never got to show it.