Roses in May

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Heidilady
Eclipse Champion

Roses in May

Postby Heidilady » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:47 pm

Hey just wanted to ask a favor of anybody who wanted to be able to see how horses like Roses in May are doing progeny wise in Japan. It's harder to keep up with them in general, I know. I'm sure there are other Japanese owned, US-bred stallions that need more progeny info here, this is just the one I happened to try to look up, the lucky devil. Of the couple dozen he had listed, there were a few muddled up or non-existent, hypomating foals. That caused me to try to see if he was really just bred to a limited book. Turns out nope, so there's a lot of work to do. Not trying to pretend I've got the vapors from patting myself on the back too much for wanting to work on it, I'm just dreading the prospect of tackling that many adds.

He's got a serious lack of progeny updates for what's in existence. It'll take awhile to go through them to add the various horses and all pertinent info. I can get to it eventually, but it could be awhile, so if anybody wants to do a few here and there, it'd be super helpful. I'd say start somewhere around Tosen Amaterasu on the list of Roses in May's various winners on this Weatherby's Stallion Book site (which is by no means conclusive because I'm sure he's had foals registered but not start or who just haven't won ever) : http://www.stallionbook.co.uk/pls/production/osts201 The races info listed is number of races run in total and money earned but not the breakdown of what was win, place, show. Some of the progeny are in the PQ database sans earnings so that could be tweaked, I guess. The dams aren't listed on Weatherby, just the BM sires, but if you go here: https://members.breederscup.com/nominat ... ility.aspx You can look up the horse and find out the dam, sex status (H, M, f, c, g), etc.

I know it's monotonous, I just thought if anybody was bored/interested in Roses in May, they could give it a go.

PS. Feel free to talk about him as future stud barn mate of I'll Have Another. He's at Big Red Farm, himself. Interesting that those two (a Derby/Preakness and a Dubai World Cup winner) and Conduit who won the BC Turf twice are all gonna be there. Kind of a nice group they're putting together.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:12 am

Hi Heidi,

Thanks for the info on Roses in May. I really liked him, as I love his sire Devil His Due and I am partial to the all black horses!

Its too bad our horses are getting shipped overseas like this.

Someone else on the board (sorry can't remember who) called the I'll Have Another story long before it was decided. They said he'd end up in another country as a stud and sure enough, he's going to Japan also.

My question is: 1) the owner of IHA, J. Paul Reddam, claims he's upset and wanted to breed to him. Well, Mr. Reddam, you have enough money of your own that you do not need to send him anywhere!! How ridiculous. If there was not any "interest" in him here, which I don't know is true or not, I'd just keep him as a personal horse, possibly geld him, and keep him in good health and happy to thank him for what IHA did for the owner! I wonder what type of agreement they have so that nothing happens to the horse if he does not turn out to be a good stud? This country is using up the horses by the time they are three years old and thus the over population of stallions. Makes me mad, they run the hell out of the 2 years olds in the under tack shows, sprinting them, and they are injured before they even get a chance. I don't know, what do you think? :?:

thanks!
We will NEVER see another Ruffian......

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:10 pm

The Japanese team approached Reddam before the Belmont about a stud deal. That horse did not have a tendon injury, I'm sorry but it's just true. The deal was brokered with the connections at Three Chimneys, who operate in Japan as well.

The Japanese spend a lot of money on American TBs. Look at the 2 year old sales, particularly OBS.

People in the high spending end of this business are there for money, graded stake wins, and money. They are not in the business of gelding in demand horses and making them back yard pets.

Money talks and that why they are here. I don't blame them at all. He will be fine and has many years to prove himself. Our farm exports horses all the time for high end buyers. They don't pay the export fees just to buy dinner. They are buying this horse as an investment. In 10 years if it doesn't work out I'm sure there is a return policy where he will come back to the US. Lord knows the KY horse park would jump the gun and want to put him next to Cigar.

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:47 pm

Hey Crystal, :D

HOW ARE you doing??? Been a long time sista!

Anyway, you are 100 percent right. Money talks, everything else walks, I guess.

If they kept him out of the Belmont preventing him from having a possible Triple Crown, that is bad. Don't care who it is, that is history, the sport in this country needs the attention of a TC winner. We had Zenyatta and just when she was getting the sport into a fever pitch, she is swept away from racing on a loss, at that, an now the once beautiful Queen Z looks like an overweight Quarter Horse. Pregnancy did not do her justice and now she's pregnant again. :( JMO

I do remember some of the sportscasters on Belmont day making short 'on the side' comments about paperwork regarding IHA and then they'd say nothing further. In other words, they gave the public the strong impression that there was something other than what bullshit we were being told.

Something about this industry is just making me want to get out.
We will NEVER see another Ruffian......

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:13 pm

I love Roses in May. While hard to estimate effectiveness in Japan, he has had a good 2012 with a couple of Graded winners recently.

http://www.bigredfarm.jp/e_index.html

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.