Invasor [ARG]

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Brigitte
Restricted Stakes Winner

Re: Invasor [ARG]

Postby Brigitte » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:17 pm

Lady Invador finished 3d of 8 in a 6f allowance at Arapahoe. She finished well to get the show place after breaking out of the gate then advancing wide from the back and making a 7 wide bid.
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 15USA8.pdf

Brigitte
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Brigitte » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:54 pm

Thanks, Shergar. You put your finger on why I wondered if Equibase had the latest information. Al Faatik's early race record is a negative and it doesn't even make sense. With a very strong distance pedigree and a turf GSW dam, he was entered in sprints, sprints and more sprints with an occasional mile and mostly on synthetic. Sometimes he showed a flash of talent, sometimes nothing, as if he was disconnected from the racing project. He got better with age, lesser competition, especially in his early cheap claimers was a confidence builder, he was more compatible with his new trainer, and became a race horse that would go at it hammer and tongs for 9.5 furlongs. I'm proud of him! His connections did a great job!

Maybe standing locally is all his connections want. If not, Al Faatik needs some flashy wins in the wider world. Invasor has 2 stakes winners on turf including Ausus who won the 1 3/8 mile Modesty G3 on turf and Al Faatik's dam was a turf G3 winner. So if Al Faatik's owners are ambitious they'll try turf. It will be interesting to see what happens next.

Brigitte
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Brigitte » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Betray the Dark won a 5 furlong dash at Fort Erie. She was the favorite and won by 6 3/4 under "light handling". The track record is 56.07, Betray the Dark 's time was 56.67.

Brigitte
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Brigitte » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:14 pm

It's depressing to watch the large 2012 cohort of Invasors bred by Shadwell head off to nowhere under his secondary trainer. It's a good rule of thumb not to race Invasors at two. Very few Invasors look good at 2 and those don't train on. The Shadwell cohort of 2012 get raced at 2 in sprints with poor results, then at a mile, maybe a shot at turf, then dumped into claiming races to get a win. By then they have a poor record and will be filler in sprint and mile races. So what? If a horse doesn't show up at 3 they're no good. that's the strongly held belief here and in Europe. That's why early speed and precocity are where the money is here.

Invasor's stakes winners were raced lightly (as Invasor was) and won some but didn't show real speed until 4 or 5 when they surprised their trainers. There's no way to know how many Invasors would have been stakes horses if trained that way instead of being used up. Photon was pretty good at 3 but his fastest mile was just under 1:36 and he had a sawtooth record so he never moved up. Dutrow raced him twice a week sometimes and he accumulated $300,000 the hard way. I was so looking forward to seeing him older, and faster but ankle issues ended his career. At the lower end Kollos was a $1,200 horse that finished up the track every time. His owner/trainer raced him a few times a year and at 4 he improved and actually won a race. At 5 he won 3 and placed in a couple more at the 10-12K claiming level. Not Invasor but incredibly improved from the throw out he was originally.

If I had the money to own racehorses I'd go looking for lightly raced young Invasor claimers in good condition, built for distance, who showed something (even if they didn't win). Fateel who has a great closing kick looks good to me. Turf good. Spaced out races with a wily trainer like Street Invader's trainer (make 'em look good until they get good). At 4 train for endurance and try longer races which are the weak spot for typical US horses. The game would be fun and I'd hope to break even or a bit better. If I got lucky ...

Brigitte
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Brigitte » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:29 pm

Phangio was 3d of 8 in his first official steeplechase at 3 miles 1f. (He previously was 1st & 2nd in two amateur steeplechases called Point to Point races.)
http://www.irishracing.com/result?prn=K ... 1508211910

Brigitte
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Brigitte » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:52 am

Grandson hits the turf!

Gotsomemojo by Paddy O'Prado out of Invasor Beauty won his debut in an Arlingtom MSW at a mile on turf.
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 15USA6.pdf

Brigitte
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Brigitte » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:34 pm

Invading Humor is running in the Yaddo Stakes at Saratoga Aug 28.

The deserving favorite will be Discreet Marq, a front running G1 winner with the highest speed at the distance.

Invading Humor got her highest speed figure when she tried to steal a 1 1/2 mile G2. She lasted 1 1/4 with the fastest horse in the race, a front runner, tracking her. They both finished up the track, though, and there are closers in this race. Invading Humor's next fastest speed figure was when she won at a mile, less than a second off the track record. The times Invading Humor was buried at the start she didn't run her race. She doesn't need the lead but has to be showed the front end.

I'm guessing Invading Humor will track the leader, not let her get away, and beat the closers to the move. She has Javier Castelleno.

http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_viewe ... m3=1505205

Brigitte
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Brigitte » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:42 pm

Invading Humor stalked in the Yaddo Stakes. Unfortunately the speed went too fast and didn't hold. The pacesetter, Lady Kreesa, got displaced near the eighth pole and fell back, finishing 9th. Invading Humor, the presser, went from 2nd to 3d in the stretch, still only 1/2 from the front then tired and finished 8th. The tracker in 3d place, G1 winner and 0.55 favorite Discreet Marq, briefly put her head in front a furlong form home then faded at the 16th marker and finished 5th. The winner came from 14 lengths back.

Invading Humor was never further than a length from the lead well into the stretch until she tired. It was too close. But she ran her race, unlike the times she was covered. Discreet Marq was further back, 3 lengths, got within a length only near 3/4 and it was also too close. She was the deserving favorite. The Inner Turf favored late runners overall this meet and this race fit the pattern. Tough.

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 15USA9.pdf

Brigitte
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Brigitte » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:12 pm

Exciter is running in the Peace Country Stakes at a mile tomorrow at Grande Prairie.
It's always great to see a new Invasor participate in a stakes, but Exciter only ran once this year and finished unplaced. He's the last betting choice so it would be a big step up if he placed. Best racing luck to him!
http://www.equibase.com/static/entry/GP ... tml#RACE10

Brigitte
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Brigitte » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:14 pm

Exciter finished 4th in his stakes debut. The chart is so Special I thought I'd share it. The two most striking features are that the PPs exactly match the start position and that the 8 horses finished head to tail. Nobody on Lasix (true on all the Grande Prairie charts, I guess they don't use it there - cool). The footnotes are laconic. They must Party Hearty in Canada.
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 5CAN10.pdf

Maybe Exciter will place in a stakes and the chart will look credible.

Brigitte
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Brigitte » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:15 pm

Good News from Saratoga. Distorted Beauty moved up to 1 1/8 in an $80,000 AOC and won in style. She got a great ride from Jose Ortiz who put her in 4th behind the pace & presser, got the jump on the favorite and second betting choice and was gone by the time they went outside and made their moves.
Video
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... on-8-31-15

Chart
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 15USA7.pdf

Brigitte
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Brigitte » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:49 am

Balqaa was 2nd of 8 in her racing debut at Delaware. She worked on dirt then made her debut at 5f on turf. She pressed the pace, took over, but was caught at the end in a good effort.
http://www.equibase.com/premium/chartEm ... y=USA&rn=3

Balqaa is 3. I hope Shadwell leaves her at Delaware to work through her conditions. She will start to become the racehorse she will be at 4 if she gets to develop at her own tardy pace.

Brigitte
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Brigitte » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:28 pm

I'm hoping Invasor gets another GSW this year, the obvious candidates are Expression, Invading Humor and Distorted Beauty. I'd love to see another of the horses I've followed collect a graded stakes win.

Of course older stakes winners and older GSWs, even lots of them, won't redeem Invasor as a US stallion. Buyers, especially syndicates, can't tell partners to be patient and pay up until their horse is 4 or 5. Buyers want TC horses. Successful young horses make or break a stallion's reputation.

Don't take my word for it. "Two time BC Turf Champion Conduit is relocating to Ireland as a dual purpose stallion in the Irish National Hunt ranks after 6 years at stud in Japan where he sired 63 winners from 149 starters. 'He didn't have a great strike rate with his first 2 crops of 2 year olds. There was no kind of history of precocity in his family anywhere. It was fairly certain his stock was going to take awhile to develop.' " The last sentence is a death sentence at major racing venues.

I don't think the story is going to change for Invasor's US offspring. Maybe, like his sire Candy Stripes, he will be successful in South America if precocious speed hasn't yet taken hold. Candy Stripes has a worse US record than Invasor.

Brigitte
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Brigitte » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:42 pm

Invading Humor is running in the John Hettinger Stakes at 1 1/8 at Belmont Sept 20 on the Inner Turf. She won the race last year. PPs:
http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_viewe ... m3=1063920

She ran a terrific race on her first outing this year, in her second she was covered up and didn't run her race, in her third she attended a hot pace closely, won the speed duel and tired to finish 8th on a track that favored closers. This time the track is favoring speed on the rail, enough so that her pp of 10 is listed as a liability. So she'll most likely be used early to get a favorable forward position but not so much that she tires late. The slightly longer distance should help to reduce the early speed. Javier Castellano had her too close to a pace that was too fast last time, let's see what happens. She has the fastest turf speed at the distance.

Brigitte
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Brigitte » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:58 pm

Invading Humor was a trainer scratch.