RIP French Seventyfive

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

zipperfoot
Weanling

RIP French Seventyfive

Postby zipperfoot » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:35 pm

Earlier today, I received word that French Seventyfive (Boitron X High Pheasant) apparently broke his shoulder in a freak pasture accident and was put down.

Foaled in 1987, he was the last known North American stallion of the Ambiorix sire line. His last foals (3) will be born later this year. We are fortunate to have 2 mares in foal to him, as well as a 2 year old filly by him.

Despite his advanced years, his elegance and quality were unmistakable.

RIP Frenchie.

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:28 pm

RIP. He was bred by a very good friend of mine and was a tough racehorse. He shared the same female family as DAHLIA and, as I recall, was a superior turf runner himself.

You may know that his sire, BOITRON, was fitted with a prosthetic hind leg after he broke down. He was a gifted racehorse who excelled on the turf, as did French Seventyfive's dam, HIGH PHEASANT (Ack Ack). Boitron stood in California for many seasons on that articificial leg at Wally Dollase's farm in Atascadero (later Cardiff Stud).

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:32 pm

Good luck with your future foals. I saw Frenchie run years ago. Sure would be great if one of your babies kept the Ambiorix line going.
"Politicians should be limited to two terms, one in office and another in jail." Anonymous

zipperfoot
Weanling

Postby zipperfoot » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:49 pm

Getting a colt would definitely be a mixed blessing. It would be great to carry on the Ambiorix line, but we're not really set up for a stallion. Then there's deciding whether said colt is good enough to remain intact. And then getting it to the track or showring. So much to worry about...

It's hard not to hope though, especially since one of the mares has 3 crosses to Tourbillon, one via Ambiorix, so the resulting foal will have 5 crosses to Tourbillon, 2 via Ambiorix. Mare is also tail female to a Byerley Turk mare.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:26 am

FRENCH SEVENTYFIVE http://www.pedigreequery.com/french+seventyfive

Interesting pedigree. I wonder why he was crossed with mares carrying so many non-mainstream names. Seems like they were trying to preserve his legacy with non-commercial names. Would like to read your comments on this angle.

zipperfoot
Weanling

Postby zipperfoot » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:12 pm

Until last year, he stood in Oklahoma, where I suspect--but don't know for sure--he was bred primarily to his owner's mares and to a limited number of outside mares. Since he didn't have the "popular" bloodlines, he probably didn't appeal to most mare owners. Again, this is just speculation on my part.

His best runner, Miss French (stakes-placed, $101K+) was out of Miss Rowdy, a stakes winner (again with less-common bloodlines--Kahuna Kai X Rowdy Gift X Rowdy Fleet). So maybe the outcome would have been different if he had been bred to better runners.

Our 2-year-old's dam Shocking Number (What a Shock X Cool Little Number X Ulan) has more common bloodlines and also won a little ($45K). It would be interesting to see what her filly would do on the track, but I don't think we're headed there with her, at least that's not the plan right now.