Schramsberg

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

skywatcher
Maiden Special Weight

Schramsberg

Postby skywatcher » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:51 am

..just received an announcement that he is going to be standing here in Alberta for 2012.

Any thoughts on him? What kind of mares do you think will be best suited for racing in this area?

http://www.pedigreequery.com/schramsberg

http://barnoneranches.com/#!/schramsberg/

Derby2004
Starters Handicap

Postby Derby2004 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:17 pm

Given the fact two stakes wins came on the turf, he should do well with Woodbines surface. He did run fairly decent on dirt also. The fact that Grand Reward hasnt really lit the world on fire at stud, I would be hesitant with him. Take After Market and Courageous Cat for example, I turned down a season to CC just due to the fact his brothers lack of success. This is just my opinion though. But the market does bear weight on sibling stud success. If you are planning on staying in Canada to race, I would take a turfy type of mare to him. And one that was an early runner or form early lines. How is he conformationally and did he sell at an auction?

skywatcher
Maiden Special Weight

Postby skywatcher » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:31 pm

I havent seen him in person yet..just the race photos.

Dont think they got him at auction, but not sure...he was a quick replacement for Chocolat Candy, who they brought up but had a terrible accident in his paddock and was euthanized.

Derby2004
Starters Handicap

Postby Derby2004 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:19 am

He did RNA at KeeSept for 1.4 million. So he must be a decent physical. Im sure a lot of that was inflated by his siblings running ability. When I heard about Chocolate Candy, I wanted to cry. I liked him a lot and thought he was going to be the next big thing in Canada. You would be taking a gamble on Schramsburg (every breeding is a gamble). His brother Harlington has his first babies running this year. If he hits, it will help you, if he flops, it will hurt a lot. That would be two big name stallions out of that mare that didnt make it.

Derby2004
Starters Handicap

Postby Derby2004 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:25 am

Also, from the looks of it, he was supposed to stand at James Ranch in OK for 2500 breeding TBs and Qhs. That would be enough to tell me what the stallion farms in the major states thought of him or his chances. I would pass. ill eat crow if the time comes

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:27 pm

Derby2004 wrote:He did RNA at KeeSept for 1.4 million. So he must be a decent physical. Im sure a lot of that was inflated by his siblings running ability. When I heard about Chocolate Candy, I wanted to cry. I liked him a lot and thought he was going to be the next big thing in Canada. You would be taking a gamble on Schramsburg (every breeding is a gamble). His brother Harlington has his first babies running this year. If he hits, it will help you, if he flops, it will hurt a lot. That would be two big name stallions out of that mare that didnt make it.

Believe Harlington is a half.

aurora
Starters Handicap

Postby aurora » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:26 pm

A live foal season to Schramsberg was offerec at the Dec 18th Iowa stallion season auction (2nd chance) with a $500 reserve. He was listed as standing at James Ranch in Oklahoma. It did not sell.

The farm's deal is they have a $75 chute fee plus if your mare does not produce a foal from the breeding there is another $250 fee. YIKES. I consIded sending him a nice mare UNTIL I FOUND THEIR WEBSITE..... !!PASS!!.

skywatcher
Maiden Special Weight

Postby skywatcher » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:17 pm

thanks for the input...$3000K is also quite high for an unproven stallion up here...so I think I will see what kind of babies he"s putting on the ground