And another stallion to Ontario....

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

And another stallion to Ontario....

Postby Mood Swings » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:18 pm

"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

brogers
Allowance Winner

Postby brogers » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:02 pm

Alan Porter did the mating for him. He was a very nice horse. Had a few little things as a young horse that probably stopped him from being really top class and ending up in KY. Loved the synthetics which if his progeny inherit should help.
Byron Rogers
Performance Genetics
http://performancegenetics.com
Keen Ice...Verrazano...Fontiton...Divisidero...Breaking Lucky...Hoss Amor...

HJ
Weanling

Postby HJ » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:05 am

Question for Canadian breeders, has the setting up of a satellite operation in Canada by Adena Springs upset the natural order in the commercial world of stallions ? I see that the Adena stallions have taken centre stage and that some formerly commercial sires have had their service fees adjusted downwards again this year as a result. What is the general feeling out there about these developments ?

AscotStud
Grade III Winner

Postby AscotStud » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:18 pm

I think the top commercial stallions will keep rolling on just fine stud fees intact, they may have taken away from the mid range stallions.
I didn't go through all the Ontario JC numbers, but took 3 Ontario leaders, none have sired a Graded Stakes horse (as of 2012 stud book) and they out bred the entire Adena roster.

Old Forester - 112 - $10,000
Philanthropist - 96 - $10,000
Where's the Ring - 71 - $6,000
Total Mares - 279

Giant Gizmo - 46
Mast Track - 29
Milwaukee Brew - 45
North Light (IRE) - 32
Showing Up - 25
Singing Saint - 29
Wilko - 28
Total Mares - 234

Back to the original topic, nice to see Marias Mon has another going to stud, a great stakes resume for Ontario
too weird to live...too rare to die
www.ascotstudfarm.com

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:55 am

Ascot Stud - when you are referring to the "top 3" - are you meaning in terms of mares covered? Like you've illustrated above? Just curious, if that's the case then I just wanted to point out that Where's The Ring sired G.1 placed Gypsy Ring (he was third in the Nearctic). :) Overall I agree with you.

I can`t think of any commercial stallions whose fees have dropped as a result of the Adena stallions. In fact as AS pointed out above Philanthropist is standing for $10,000 - that`s a $5000 increase from last year.
Old Forester also $10,000 was standing for $8,500 last year.
Where`s The Ring is remaining the same at $6,000.
Perfect Soul is down to $7,500 from $15,000 (Kentucky) last year.
Adena stallions are remaining the same with exception though is Plan who stood for $2,500 (Kentucky) last year and is standing for $4,000 this year, despite covering only 18 mares I believe :?
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

AscotStud
Grade III Winner

Postby AscotStud » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:34 pm

Thats why I put (as of the 2012 stud book) my source of data, I was looking at the Adena numbers and when I looked at Wilko I saw Where`s The Ring numbers and added the 2 others, point being the Ontario based sires out bred the Adena imports. Going more off topic but the first thing I noticed about the Canadian stud book was the Adena stallions with runner all had their Statistical Summary's removed from their pedigree pages, this seems very odd to me that you would want a few extra Allowance or stakes placed horses showing over your overall stats unless you want to hind your percentage
too weird to live...too rare to die

www.ascotstudfarm.com

NORTHSTAR1
Yearling

Postby NORTHSTAR1 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:06 pm

HJ-----asked about adena affecting stallion market ------

last year 1500 mares were bred in ontario----it is reasonable, given that low number, to assume every stallion addition will affect the market

NORTHSTAR1
Yearling

ontario stallions

Postby NORTHSTAR1 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:16 pm

adding more stallions in ontario is actually quite good for those that are having current success ----

it is very difficult to maintain good performance percentages if the races are packed with your own progeny ----

a field of 7 old foresters will produce 3 in the money and 4 not in the money-----and only 1 winner per 7 starters ------much better to have 1 enrty and 1 winner