FRIESAN FIRE

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

NORTHSTAR1
Yearling

FRIESAN FIRE

Postby NORTHSTAR1 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:23 pm

anyone have an opinion you want to share, on this newby -friesan fire ---

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:01 pm

nice horse, very nice bottom

wonder why he's not in PA

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:57 am

Look closely at his legs. I have not seen him first hand so can't say for sure but I have heard they are something to be concerned with.

FiftyYearsPlus
Weanling

5x4x5 to Bold Ruler

Postby FiftyYearsPlus » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:46 pm

Interesting pedigree: 5x4x5 to Bold Ruler, sire of 13 champions. Among these, there is frequent evidence of Princequillo (Secretariat's damsire), Sir Galahad, and Discovery.

Virtually all of his descendents as sires come through AP Indy these days, and virtually all of them are out of Mr. Prospector-Raise A Native mares.

Friesan Fire is out of a Dehere mare, Dehere being the damsire of 2 time BC sprint winner Midnight Lute. Midnight Lute is by Real Quiet who is 4x3 to Raise a Native.

This horse was dominant through the 3yo series at the Fair Grounds and was the favorite in the Derby. Was found shortly thereafter to have a stress fracture in one front and a fracture in the other.

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:48 am

He is one of the few A.P. Indy's that has no Mr. Prospector or Raise a Native in his 5 generation pedigree. If his front legs are not a concern then he should cross well with Mr. P/Raise a Native line mares.

DDT

FiftyYearsPlus
Weanling

A point about confirmation

Postby FiftyYearsPlus » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:54 am

Certainly there are fatal flaws in horse confirmation such as cow hocks.

However, in recent years, there has been considerable illuminating research on the effect of time on orthopedic abnormalities. The preponderance of the research (and my experience) shows that substantial correction will naturally occur with maturation. Although the breed to sell crowd has vastly expanded the use of corrective surgery for foals (often without disclosure), I am aware of at least one very prominent clinic that refuses to do such work for the reason cited above. This coupled with a considerable amount of trainers who either don't know or care how to manage the development of a young horse contributes to the statistic that some 30% of young horses never start a race. And I would estimate that of those who do, at least 50% are already injured.

In my experience, some level of training and racing can actually be beneficial to this maturation process, but a considerable amount of observation and discretion is necessary to prevent running these babies over a cliff. Additionally, any capable trainer can train around imperfections in their horses.

As a consequence, when I examine a horse that is reputed to be unsound, I differentiate between those imperfections that are naturally occurring through genetics and those that are caused.

wallinga
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby wallinga » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:09 pm

He's from a great Aussie family, but one thing I will say, the family has thrown some great race horses, but very few of the males have done the job at stud.