Buckle Down Ben AND Duckhorn in IL

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Joie
Maiden Special Weight

Buckle Down Ben AND Duckhorn in IL

Postby Joie » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:42 am

Buckle Down Ben and Duckhorn will be standing in IL in 2012. Introductory fee of $1000 ($250 booking fee and $750 when foal stands and nurses).
Four Leaf Farm
Proud Breeder of Trakehner and Anglo-Trakehner Sporthorses

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:02 am

Has Buckle Down Ben had some success at stud? I own his now retired from the broodmare ranks stakes winning half sister. I thought he stood for about $500 when he was in Indiana and then I kind of lost track of him.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:44 pm

Yes I would like to know to. Since I have his 3/4 sister. Doc and I have some of the family related to Buckle Down Ben.
k

Joie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Joie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:52 am

I am sure you guys more about the racing side of things than I do, but from what I understand, he produces large foals, that mature late, and most people just don't want to wait to start them. I am not sure that's accurate, though, since I've only had him a year, and that year has been focued on retraining. He is a very good horse, and I am excited to see what he produces with my sporthorse mares. I LOVE this horse, and I mean love...he is super smart, hard-working, and he will do ANYTHING for "his" person. He is incredibly athletic, with an incredible jump and perfect canter. He is 100% sound, even at his age.

As I mentioned, I am not into racing, but from what I understand he hasn't sire a lot of foals, actually. He has had 8 winners, though, and is listed as the #8 leading stallion in IL for 2011, even though he has never bred a mare in IL. This is their first year listed as IL stallions.

As for the stud fee, that is set by the stallion farm. I do not have the time or facilities to deal with outside mares currently, so both boys are standing and training at THANKSALOT farm in Carlock, IL. The girls there would be happy to answer any racing-related questions if anyone is interested.

Thanks!
Four Leaf Farm

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:23 am

Joie wrote:I am sure you guys more about the racing side of things than I do, but from what I understand, he produces large foals, that mature late, and most people just don't want to wait to start them. I am not sure that's accurate, though, since I've only had him a year, and that year has been focued on retraining. He is a very good horse, and I am excited to see what he produces with my sporthorse mares. I LOVE this horse, and I mean love...he is super smart, hard-working, and he will do ANYTHING for "his" person. He is incredibly athletic, with an incredible jump and perfect canter. He is 100% sound, even at his age.

As I mentioned, I am not into racing, but from what I understand he hasn't sire a lot of foals, actually. He has had 8 winners, though, and is listed as the #8 leading stallion in IL for 2011, even though he has never bred a mare in IL. This is their first year listed as IL stallions.

As for the stud fee, that is set by the stallion farm. I do not have the time or facilities to deal with outside mares currently, so both boys are standing and training at THANKSALOT farm in Carlock, IL. The girls there would be happy to answer any racing-related questions if anyone is interested.

Thanks!

Good luck with him. My mare is 22, she is a diva in the pasture but an absolute sweetie to work with.

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:43 am

Doc Jocoy,

Off subject but curious about your handle. Doc Jocoy was both a famous CA vet and an excellent racehorse. I'd be interested in knowing your connection, if Im not being too nosey!

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:21 pm

You know Joie I replied along time ago to a thread that had said that the Halo horses are mean. And you and I have good well mannered horses from the family and I think so to with Doc.
We bred his 3/4 sister to Songandaprayer. And your telling us that he hasn't had any get thats has any two year old interest than that help out alot, because from what I was told ( I haven't seen the baby) She looks the spitting image of Go Go Diablo. I don't know what Buckle Down Ben looks like and I both Doc and I would love it if you had pictures to show him off.
hint hint! :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:27 pm

Oh I forgot too the filly that was born was large too.

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:33 pm

Thought I'd help a little. Buckle Down Ben when he stood in PA:

http://www.xanthus-farm.com/xanthus_far ... 45&hh=1004

Ben didn't get a lot of mares & most of his foals went to local trainers on a deal. I don't know how well they were handled so I wouldn't read a lot either way into his foals' lack of racing success.

There isn't a picture of Duckhorn on the site, but here is a Duckhorn filly:

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:20 am

Barcaldine wrote:Doc Jocoy,

Off subject but curious about your handle. Doc Jocoy was both a famous CA vet and an excellent racehorse. I'd be interested in knowing your connection, if Im not being too nosey!

Doc Jocoy (the horse) was the first racehorse I ever followed as a VERY young kid. My mom actually took me out of school once to see him run, but then he scratched, but I still got the day off school 8) . I met the good doctor (the person) many years later, we had a nice chat. I have his book, which he signed for me. Nice guy.
In his book, interestingly enough, some of his routine practices (and other vets) would raise a few eyebrows if talked about so unguardedly now. The book is quite an interesting read.

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:25 am

KBEquine wrote:Thought I'd help a little. Buckle Down Ben when he stood in PA:

Ben didn't get a lot of mares & most of his foals went to local trainers on a deal. I don't know how well they were handled so I wouldn't read a lot either way into his foals' lack of racing success.

There isn't a picture of Duckhorn on the site, but here is a Duckhorn filly:

Thanks so much for those pictures! My little mare is not anywhere near the size of Buckle Down Ben, but they have similar heads and rear-ends, and she is a lighter bay. That is so fun trying to see the similarities for the two of them. I hadn't seen pictures of her siblings before.

Joie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Joie » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:14 am

Thanks KBEquine! As usual, you are a wealth of good information.

I think Duckie is actually on the "Current Stallion" roster page at Xanthus...I own him in partnership with barbara Rickline, but he will be here with me permanently so I can move him more towards the sporthorse disciplines. Like Ben, he has a really great personality (those who "know" them both seem to say Duckie is sweeter than Ben, but I have to say, I love my Bennie Boy. He is more of a "one person" horse, whereas Duckie seems to like pretty much anyone).

I have pictures of both boys on my website, conformation and candids:

http://www.four-leaf-farm.com/stallions.html

And for anyone interested, I have several photos of foals that I have found that I will be adding to the site soon. For those that can't wait, feel free to drop me a line, and I'll send them via email. :)

Both boys are just enjoying living like horses at this point. After inspections last August Ben came home to spend the Fall with my old broodies at pasture. He learned a thing or two, and now you'd never know he'd like any differently. Duckie as well. I introduced him to an old mare of mine to teach him the ropes of being a horse (she's 25 years old, and always a professional, that mare.) I call them "Salt N Peppa":

Four Leaf Farm

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:48 am

Doc,

That's very interesting. We must be about the same age (57). I remember both of them very well. Doc Jocoy (the horse) was a top-class seven furlong horse, as was his sire, El Drag (who actually had the world record for this distance for decades). If memory serves he also ran in the 1962 Kentucky Derby (won by another Californian, Decidedly). Dr. Jocoy was very well respected. He raced the good stakes winner Peggy's World (Fleet Nasrullah) and was the attending track vet at most CA race meets.

If you're anything like me your memory is much clearer on ancient trivia than on current events, too.

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:22 am

Here's a very short thread (but with a Mahubah analysis of Duckhorn) when he went to stud:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/forum/view ... t=duckhorn

And just to give you another Duckhorn foal's picture, here is Duckzilla, 2007 filly, out of Miribilla by Lord Avie:

We sold her to a trainer in Philly who almost immediately got arrested for something, so she was raced briefly by an assistant trainer & then placed through Philly Park's placement program. I found out about a week after she had been placed, or we would have brought her home. In fact, we made SURE the trainer knew we would take her back. But that's another story for another day.

If you co-own Duckie with Barb, why don't you ask her for pictures of Duckie's and Ben's offspring? There was a discussion of one Ben daughter on the Color Forum here because she was a dark bay with and even darker patch on her side - except I think it wasn't the kind of mark a mare could pass to a foal, so counted as interesting but not something you could breed for. As I recall, the filly was from the family of Fabulous Strike, but my memory might be off on that.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:52 pm

Any pics on Buckle Down Bens babies?
Karen