Dayjur died this week

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

erins isle
Grade III Winner

Dayjur died this week

Postby erins isle » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:51 am

At the age of 26 years old Dayjur (the horse that jumped over a shadow) died in Kentucky. The son of Danzig was a sprinter trained by major Dick Hern and ridden by Willie Carson. R.I.P.

http://bloodstock.racingpost.com/news/b ... 36747/top/
The more I get to know people, the more I love animals.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Re: Dayjur died this week

Postby FOS » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:00 am

hi erins isle

erins isle wrote:At the age of 26 years old Dayjur (the horse that jumped over a shadow) died in Kentucky. The son of Danzig was a sprinter trained by major Dick Hern and ridden by Willie Carson. R.I.P.

http://bloodstock.racingpost.com/news/b ... 36747/top/

Very soon after his retirement from racing, I viewed Dayjur at the farm.

When I arrived at the office, I asked if Dayjur might be available for viewing.

I was kindly advised, that someone would bring him up. I waited outside and, soon after, what appeared to be a very tall fellow (maybe in the vicinity of 6'4"/6'5") was seen walking about with what appeared to be a VERY small horse in tow. My first thought, maybe he was a groom walking a pony-like teaser to a turn out paddock.

The very tall gentleman waved me in his direction, and asked if I was there to see Dayjur. I told him yes, thank you, and thought maybe he'd tell me he'd go get Dayjur after turning the teaser pony out.

To my surprise :shock: he said this is Dayjur.

I had read that Dayjur was small, but didn't think much of it; after all, what does small really mean. With a rider on his back, as I had seen him in publications and on TV (in the Breeders' Cup), I didn't get a sense Dayjur was this small. Maybe it was the reality that Dayjur was being handled by such a VERY tall fellow, that affected perception. Whatever, Dayjur was SMALL.

Regardless, he was clearly an outstanding, world class sprinter; worthy all the respect and accolades showered upon him 8) .

He was a very good one; yes small, but a VERY good one :) .

He will be remembered.

Respectfully

erins isle
Grade III Winner

Postby erins isle » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:21 am

Thank you FOS for this interesting story.

Remember that Hyperion was very small too. There is this book worth reading:
Hyperion introduced by The Earl of Derby and edited by Clive Graham. 202 pages.
The more I get to know people, the more I love animals.

mini's mom
Allowance Winner

dayjur

Postby mini's mom » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:38 am

and wasn't mr propsector sort of a runty small unsound horse - saw fernand & diesies at claiborne in l993 - diesies was on the smallish side but fernand was a huge chestnut horse with terrible feet -

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:49 am

Northern Dancer was very small too,advertised as 15.2 was hardly 15 hands,but what a presence and attitude...
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

mini's mom
Allowance Winner

dayjur

Postby mini's mom » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:10 am

you know it takes a small horse less energy to get going and running - a larger bodied horse takes for ever to get going and is prone to injuries - smaller ones stay sound longer - and they easy keepers - and stay sound -

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:16 am

"Small".. quite typical in sprinters as opposed to long-distance horses.
I think that the mold established by Native Dancer, along with the mold
later established by the Unbridled's Songs and others has changed the traditional concept and propelled a new ideal mold.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Re: dayjur

Postby FOS » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:47 am

hi mini's mom

mini's mom wrote:and wasn't mr propsector sort of a runty small unsound horse - saw fernand & diesies at claiborne in l993 - diesies was on the smallish side but fernand was a huge chestnut horse with terrible feet -

Mr Prospector was NOT a runty small horse. In his advanced years at Claiborne though, he did appear to be a somewhat a smaller/shrinking version of the impressive individual he was in his younger days at the races, and while standing in Florida.

As for unsound that's a a big word; too all encompassing (to my way of thinking). Likely all VERY Fast horses have an issue or two, or more :wink: . In the case of Mr Prospector, he wasn't simply a VERY Fast horse ... he was FREAKY Fast :!:

Respectfully

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:14 am

FOS is right! According to John Sparkman Mr. P was a "medium-sized, lengthy horse with a very long, powerful hip and slightly plain head, Mr. Prospector himself turned out his right front slightly but was otherwise correct."

Here is Sparkman's astute assessment: http://www.drf.com/news/john-p-sparkman ... zing-speed
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

Fireslam
Allowance Winner

Postby Fireslam » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:57 am

Mr. P was a sale topper as a yearling, and you're calling him runty and small?