Adena Springs

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Adena Springs

Postby Cree » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:52 pm

They will now be standing Fort Larned and Point of Entry, am I right? These two horses are very impressive and have great pedigrees. I'd be interested to see what breeders comments are on them.

Fort Larned had speed and stamina.

Point of Entry definitely had stamina, and had a good turn of foot.

Mac
Allowance Winner

Postby Mac » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:52 pm

Cree,

I would like to see both of these stallions make it.

As a small breeder with three or four mares, I'll throw out some initial impressions, and preface it by saying that genetic strength is a mystery to me. Like why exactly could Mr. Prospector convey such speed, so consistently, to his progeny even without good mares in the early going? Or a more recent example, War Front?

Fort Larned, pro's and con's.

Solid racehorse, retiring sound after a decent number of starts, with a close-up Mr. Prospector heritage combined with the stamina, grittiness, soundness and all the other accolades you can attribute to his broodmare sire Broad Brush. This next part is really fun, I like that he's out of a mare whose dam is the one and only Bayakoa. She was such a freak of nature and I am so glad that she has produced this kind of representative. So yes he is kind of a sentimental like for me.

Bayakoa's various sirelines that are meaningful to breeders like me include Bold Ruler, Nashua, Princequillo. She was so crazy talented that whatever culminated to produce her seems at least possible to have a shot at being carried on.

Fort Larned is definitely sort of a fun wild card with a princely yet blue-collar heritage, so it would make me cheer if he becomes a successful sire.

On the pro's and con's of Point Entry...

I think a ton of American breeders want Point Of Entry or at least one of the other recent Dynaformers to make it at stud.

If he can overcome the question mark of Dynaformer being a sire of sires, I think Point of Entry has a lot going for him. His first four dams, best I can tell, have produced a lot of grade one winners. In contrast, some of the earlier Dynaformers at stud may not have come from the quality of mare crops that Dynaformer has had more recently.

One of the recent sons at stud, Purim, who died a year or two ago, did have a good dam family and he has produced a few high class graded stakes winners such as Twilight Eclipse in the recent BC Classic, so there's definitely hope.

I'd love to see this stallion make it.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:41 am

Thanks. I think both stallions are attractive. I also agree about Point of Entry. I thought Purim was a useful sire considering how short-lived his career was.

Looking forward to these two in the future.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:27 pm

I loved Dynaformer, but so many of his good runners were gelded. I was so disappointed that Purim died so early, and I am rooting for Point of Entry to carry on that Dynaformer line.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:39 am

Fort Larned is set at $20,000
Point of Entry is set at $25,000