Dynamic Sky

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Jane
Allowance Winner

Re: Dynamic Sky

Postby Jane » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:49 pm

I don't expect that Casse can be all that selective as to where these horses run. In this case he has two horses that like to run in the same type of races that are owned by two different people, how would you explain to the owners that you are favoring one horse over the other?

Have a look at today's Alywow Stake at woodbine... Casse has SEVEN horses entered in that one race and I think he was running 17 horses in total on todays Woodbine card. With so many horses I half expect to see races filled only with Casse horses before long.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:32 pm

Jane wrote:I don't expect that Casse can be all that selective as to where these horses run. In this case he has two horses that like to run in the same type of races that are owned by two different people, how would you explain to the owners that you are favoring one horse over the other?

Have a look at today's Alywow Stake at woodbine... Casse has SEVEN horses entered in that one race and I think he was running 17 horses in total on todays Woodbine card. With so many horses I half expect to see races filled only with Casse horses before long.

I think that you are right. Once a horse wins 3 stakes/allowance races or so, then it is sometimes tough to find a suitable race.

Dynamic Sky and Patrioticandproud are in the same stable, so maybe they know each other from around the farm, and don't like each other.

Mark Casse does train a lot of horses, and some are still at Churchill Downs. Can't really argue with how he does things, being that he has been so successful. I think that he has a bunch of good 2 year olds in his barn this year. About 3 of them (that I know of) have already won maiden races.
Shawklit Won.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:03 am

I don't find him incredibly remarkable at all. He has A LOT of horses and he seems to get some really well-bred, expensive horses from yearling and 2-year-old sales that run well at 2, but fizzle at 3. I think if you look at the money spent on these horses compared to the money they make, it's not as remarkable as you think. He had SEVEN horses entered in a stakes (wtf?) and he didn't win it.
Take the Woodbine Oaks filly, Lexie Lou. She was sold 2 races back, so yes he just won the Oaks with her, but he didn't develop her as a 2-year-old.
I don't like trainers that have barns like factories. I prefer hands on, small numbers, one-on-one care. He's got assistants and assistants of assistants working the various barns.

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:26 pm

I own Lexie Lou's half sister and she's for sale. Shameless plug!

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:50 pm

Cree wrote:I don't find him incredibly remarkable at all. He has A LOT of horses and he seems to get some really well-bred, expensive horses from yearling and 2-year-old sales that run well at 2, but fizzle at 3. I think if you look at the money spent on these horses compared to the money they make, it's not as remarkable as you think. He had SEVEN horses entered in a stakes (wtf?) and he didn't win it.
Take the Woodbine Oaks filly, Lexie Lou. She was sold 2 races back, so yes he just won the Oaks with her, but he didn't develop her as a 2-year-old.
I don't like trainers that have barns like factories. I prefer hands on, small numbers, one-on-one care. He's got assistants and assistants of assistants working the various barns.

You might be right about Casse. I really don't know that much about it. His horses do usually seem to be ready when they race; at least the ones that I have seen.

Barns like factories reminds me of Baffert. Lucas used to be like that too, I think. I think that Lucas has cut back a lot in recent years. Sometimes Baffert runs a bunch of horses in a race (usually a stakes race).
Shawklit Won.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:52 pm

hi Shawklit Won...hi Cree

Shawklit Won wrote:
Cree wrote:I don't find him incredibly remarkable at all. He has A LOT of horses and he seems to get some really well-bred, expensive horses from yearling and 2-year-old sales that run well at 2, but fizzle at 3. I think if you look at the money spent on these horses compared to the money they make, it's not as remarkable as you think. He had SEVEN horses entered in a stakes (wtf?) and he didn't win it.
You might be right about Casse. I really don't know that much about it. His horses do usually seem to be ready when they race; at least the ones that I have seen.

Barns like factories reminds me of Baffert. Lucas used to be like that too, I think. I think that Lucas has cut back a lot in recent years. Sometimes Baffert runs a bunch of horses in a race (usually a stakes race).
Bob Baffert and Southern California seem all but synonymous. Clearly Baffert has accomplished a whole lot in SoCal...I mean a WHOLE lot.

Continuing the California thought, and considering many points you've raised/touched on, I wouldn't be surprised if Mark Casse sends a number of horses to SoCal to test the current waters there.

Gotta remember though...the water can be very deep there.

Respectfully

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:20 pm

FOS wrote:hi Shawklit Won...hi Cree

Shawklit Won wrote:

Bob Baffert and Southern California seem all but synonymous. Clearly Baffert has accomplished a whole lot in SoCal...I mean a WHOLE lot.

Continuing the California thought, and considering many points you've raised/touched on, I wouldn't be surprised if Mark Casse sends a number of horses to SoCal to test the current waters there.

Gotta remember though...the water can be very deep there.

Respectfully

Yes, Baffert has been one of the top trainers in the country. Like Casse, he buys expensive horses, and he has a pretty big outfit. His horses always do seem ready to run when they hit the racetrack. He has won a bunch of big ones too with Silver Charm, Real Quiet, etc.

Getting back to Dynamic Sky; there was an inquiry in his race, and a DQ, but I don't think that his rider (Husbands) put in an objection, probably because Patrioticandproud is also trained by Casse. I don't think that trainers like it when their jockeys file an objection against one of their own horses.

If Husbands did put in an objection, and I just don't know about it, then forget what I said about Dynamic Sky's race.
Shawklit Won.

Jane
Allowance Winner

Postby Jane » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:30 am

What? That inside horse (Patrioticandproud) was being hit left handed by the jockey and and totally altered course right into Dynamic Sky's path. I was shocked at what a bad ride that horse got from Alan Garcia, he should be fined for a dangerous ride on top of getting DQ'd.

I'm also shocked that you would suggest that the trainer would prefer that there would be no inquiry between the running of his two horses. If I am the owner of Dynamic Sky and my trainer was ok with another horse in his care causing me a foul and being allowed to get away with it..... well, first of all it's CRIMINAL (defrauding the betting public) and IMMORAL.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:26 pm

Jane wrote:What? That inside horse (Patrioticandproud) was being hit left handed by the jockey and and totally altered course right into Dynamic Sky's path. I was shocked at what a bad ride that horse got from Alan Garcia, he should be fined for a dangerous ride on top of getting DQ'd.

I'm also shocked that you would suggest that the trainer would prefer that there would be no inquiry between the running of his two horses. If I am the owner of Dynamic Sky and my trainer was ok with another horse in his care causing me a foul and being allowed to get away with it..... well, first of all it's CRIMINAL (defrauding the betting public) and IMMORAL.

Good points. Of course, you are right. I am a little surprised that the rider of DS apparently did not lodge an objection, but maybe he waited to see if there was an inquiry first, then felt that he didn't need to.

That is the first time that I have ever won (kind of) by a DQ, even though I did not have a bet on the race. At the track (or the OTB), I have never won as a result of a DQ, but I have lost a number of times.
Shawklit Won.

Jane
Allowance Winner

Postby Jane » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:58 pm

Before the horses had even pulled up the stewards had already posted the Inquiry Sign, no need for Patrick Husbands to claim foul... it had already been done for him by the stewards. You can't claim foul twice for the same incident.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:28 pm

Jane wrote:Before the horses had even pulled up the stewards had already posted the Inquiry Sign, no need for Patrick Husbands to claim foul... it had already been done for him by the stewards. You can't claim foul twice for the same incident.

I didn't know that. I watched the race on the net and did not know about the inquiry until about 3 minutes after the race was over. Actually, I have seen both an inquiry and the jockey place an objection after some races that I have watched.

I am happy with the way Dynamic Sky is racing. I think that he is almost back to where he was when he was at his best before. I thought that DS raced well in his last race as well, but was blocked, so the result was misleading.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:19 pm

Dynamic Sky's brother (sort of) named Sky Captain won the Dominion Day Stakes (G3) at Woodbine today. Sky Captain is bred similarly to Dynamic Sky. They both have the same sire (sky Mesa) and are both inbred to Mr. P 4x4 (Sky Captain also has Mr. P in his 5th generation), and both have some Northern Dancer (4x5 for Sky Captain and 5x5x5 for DS), and both are 5x5 to Secretariat on the sire's side.

I am glad for Sky Captain, but I am still more partial to Dynamic Sky. There are other similarities. They both have the same owner and trainer and both have had extended vacations after apparently being hurt last year.

Sky Captain has done most of his winning this year, winning a couple of allowance races this year plus the Dominion Day Stakes today. Last year, Sky Captain only won a maiden race.

Dynamic Sky did most of his winning before this year, winning a stakes race at Woodbine at 2 and a couple of stakes races last year before getting hurt. So far this year, DS has only won an allowance race at Woodbine due to a DQ. I would like to see him in a graded stakes sometime this year. Nothing to do now but wait and see what happens.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:06 pm

Oops! It was as a 2 year old that Sky Captain won his maiden race. Sky Captain was purchased for 210 K at the September 2011 Keeneland yearling sale, so a lot has been expected of him. It was a big setback when he was hurt at age 3 and did not return to the racetrack for a year and a day. He seems to be racing pretty well now, and there could be some more stakes wins in his future, which now looks pretty bright.

Dynamic Sky, on the other hand, was purchased for only 25 K in an also September 2011 yearling sale, but in Canada. Quite a bargain for 25 K. Anyway, DS apparently has been quite an overachiever for John Oxley and company.

I noticed that about the only stakes races that Dynamic Sky could enter at Woodbine in the near future are on turf. Dynamic Sky has never raced on turf, but I wonder if he could do well on the grass. He does have some pretty good grass sires in his pedigree (5x5x5 to Northern Dancer, Storm Cat, Storm Bird, Danzig, Round Table, and Secretariat (5x5) who raced well in turf races). Maybe DS could be a good turf horse, but I don't really know.

As for Sky Captain, I would not be surprised to see him entered in stakes races at different tracks other than Woodbine. Sky Captain was bred in Kentucky, so he would not be eligible for some of the bonuses at Woodbine.
Shawklit Won.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:30 am

Casse is just demolishing this meet. Big fish in little pond at Woodbine.
He's leading the trainers standing by $1.6 million. He had 165 starts, 35 wins, 34, 2nds, and 18 3rds. The second place trainer is R. Tiller with 101 starts and $990,000+ in earnings.
He just has so many horses, he's running multiples in races (like the stakes race a few weekends back when he had SEVEN ? entered).
I'm keeping tabs on his big 2-year-old winners, I am curious to see how they develop.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:56 am

Cree wrote:Casse is just demolishing this meet. Big fish in little pond at Woodbine.
He's leading the trainers standing by $1.6 million. He had 165 starts, 35 wins, 34, 2nds, and 18 3rds. The second place trainer is R. Tiller with 101 starts and $990,000+ in earnings.
He just has so many horses, he's running multiples in races (like the stakes race a few weekends back when he had SEVEN ? entered).
I'm keeping tabs on his big 2-year-old winners, I am curious to see how they develop.

Casse's 2 year old colts include Skyway, who is already graded stakes placed. Other 2 year old winners for Casse/Oxley are Sky Bistro, Adrosa Sky, and Sky Racer. I believe that Skyway was the first 2 year old winner in the U.S. this year.

Getting back to Dynamic Sky, I noticed that he is nominated to the Singspiel Stakes this Sunday (7/6) at Woodbine. The race is a grade 3 on turf at a mile and a half. That doesn't mean that he definitely will be in the race, but he could be. Sky Captain and Patrioticandproud are also nominated to that race, but both just raced yesterday, so I am sure that we won't be seeing them.

Should be interesting if Dynamic Sky is entered. If the grass doesn't bother him, then he should be able to get the 1 1/2 mile distance because he just ran 1 1/4 miles on dirt 3 weeks prior. I hope he runs in it.
Shawklit Won.