Dynamic Sky

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Dynamic Sky

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:56 pm

Dynamic Sky (Sky Mesa-Murani by Distorted Humor) is a very good racehorse (IMHO). He has won 3 stakes races, but none graded, and he has placed in a couple of graded stakes. In fact, Dynamic Sky has raced in nothing but stakes races so far in his 11 race career.

His last race was in July, 2013, in the Queens Plate at Woodbine, where he finished 3rd. He apparently was injured in that race or sometime afterwards. Dynamic Sky has been working out lately, so he should be racing again sometime in the near future. Of course, after a layoff that long and the injury, I am not sure that Dynamic Sky will be as good a racehorse as he was before.

His pedigree looks good to me, although I am not an expert. His sire is Sky Mesa, and his BM sire is Distorted Humor. He is inbred to Mr. Prospector 4x4 and Northern Dancer 5x5x5.

I wonder what his chances are as a stallion and what kind of farm he is likely to end up at, based on what he has done at the racetrack and his pedigree. I would like to see him end up where his sire is, Three Chimneys, but maybe that is too ambitious.
Shawklit Won.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:20 am

I think he needs to step up and win a big one in order for him to make it to Three Chimneys.
I could see him standing in Ontario, or some smaller region.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:41 pm

Cree wrote:I think he needs to step up and win a big one in order for him to make it to Three Chimneys.
I could see him standing in Ontario, or some smaller region.

Thanks for the input, and you could be right. Ontario might be a likely place for Dynamic Sky because his owner is based there, and DS won a couple of his stakes races at Woodbine.

I think that Dynamic Sky was very capable of winning a graded stakes race, finishing 2nd in two of them (one a grade 1). I hope that he does win a graded stakes if and when he races again, but not sure he will be as good as he was before.

Dynamic Sky was pretty consistent, finishing in the money in 8 out of 11 stakes races and 4th in the Tampa Bay Derby. He will get better breeding opportunities at Three Chimneys or one of the big Kentucky farms. As a regional stallion, I am sure that his owner would support him with some good mares to breed with, but he would get more at a Kentucky farm like Claiborne, Lanes End, or Three Chimneys, I think.

I know that other states have good farms, and he could be more than a regional sire at some of them, but the biggest ones are in Kentucky.
Shawklit Won.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:23 pm

True, Kentucky has better mares, but is he actually going to attract them? General Quarters is a Sky Mesa son who won a Grade 1 race at 3 and 4, he is $5000 LF.

I think DS fits in well in Ontario. He may be capable of winning a graded stakes race, but being "capable" and actually winning a graded stakes race are two different things.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:06 pm

Cree wrote:True, Kentucky has better mares, but is he actually going to attract them? General Quarters is a Sky Mesa son who won a Grade 1 race at 3 and 4, he is $5000 LF.

I think DS fits in well in Ontario. He may be capable of winning a graded stakes race, but being "capable" and actually winning a graded stakes race are two different things.

General Quarters is standing in Kentucky (Crestwood Farm) this year after standing in Florida for the past 2 years (Hallmarc Stallions). He was bred to 67 mares in both 2012 and 2013. I don't know how many stakes winners or stakes producers or daughters of such mares that GQ was bred to.

General Quarters has a nice pedigree, IMO. I hope that his foals come out running when they hit the racetrack.

The farms usually get a piece of the horses that they stand, so they would also contribute some mares to Dynamic Sky. Farms like Claiborne and Lanes End have wonderful mares that they would breed to their stallions. So, if DS does get to Claiborne, Lanes End, Three Chimneys, etc., he would probably get mares from the farm and his owner and maybe some clients to breed to.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:24 pm

Cree wrote:True, Kentucky has better mares, but is he actually going to attract them? General Quarters is a Sky Mesa son who won a Grade 1 race at 3 and 4, he is $5000 LF.

I can see where Ontario could be a good fit for Dynamic Sky. DS has raced at Woodbine a few times and has won a couple of stakes races there (and looked good doing it), so he probably has somewhat of a fan base there, and the horse owners know about him there. Maybe Ontario would be best for him, but I don't know.

I would like to see him where his daddy is. Sky Mesa has the same owner that Dynamic Sky has, so maybe he would have some clout with the Three Chimneys people. I guess that remains to be seen, as well as what DS does at the racetrack, if and when he races again.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:52 pm

Dynamic Sky had a workout Saturday (3/1) for 5 furlongs, so he apparently should be racing again sometime in the near future. It was his 5th work since training again. As Cree pointed out, his quest probably will be to win a graded stakes race in order to maybe get him to one of the top farms.

His first race back would probably be a regular stakes race or an allowance race (his first one as he has raced in nothing but stakes races, which is very rare) and see if DS is hitting on all cylinders. If he does well, then I expect that his handlers will be looking for a graded stakes race with a soft field (not an easy task).
Shawklit Won.

da hossman
Allowance Winner

Postby da hossman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:10 pm

Three Chimneys has new ownership, so old relationships may no longer be as tight. Dynamic Sky has not accomplished enough to stand at a major farm in KY. As said before, his best placement at this point would be Ontario.
A difference of opinion is what makes horse racing and missionaries.

Will Rogers

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:55 pm

da hossman wrote:Three Chimneys has new ownership, so old relationships may no longer be as tight. Dynamic Sky has not accomplished enough to stand at a major farm in KY. As said before, his best placement at this point would be Ontario.

Thanks for posting.

You are probably right, and maybe Ontario would be a good place for DS, and I am pretty sure that his owner would support him with some good mares. Maybe he would get some more from whatever farm he ends up at, and their clients.

A lot depends on what Dynamic Sky does when he gets back to the racetrack. I wish that he won the Sam Davis Stakes (G3). He just missed in that one.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:43 pm

Dynamic Sky had a 5 furlong work today at Palm Meadows Training Center. It was his 6th work since beginning training again. DS should be racing pretty soon. I don't know where, but my guess is Gulfstream, although I am not sure how much longer the meet is (I should look it up).

Sorry to keep repeating myself, but I sure hope that he has not lost anything due to the injury and the layoff. Can't wait to see him race again.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:15 pm

I have been looking through the condition book at Gulfstream and I couldn't find any races coming up that Dynamic Sky would qualify for. I thought that he would qualify for an allowance race (never won 3 races other than) on this Friday (3/14), but I forgot that DS has won 3 stakes races, which would put him out of even that condition (DS never raced in a maiden or allowance or claiming race).

So, Dynamic Sky should be racing sometime soon, but I have no idea when or where.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:36 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:I have been looking through the condition book at Gulfstream and I couldn't find any races coming up that Dynamic Sky would qualify for. I thought that he would qualify for an allowance race (never won 3 races other than) on this Friday (3/14), but I forgot that DS has won 3 stakes races, which would put him out of even that condition (DS never raced in a maiden or allowance or claiming race).

So, Dynamic Sky should be racing sometime soon, but I have no idea when or where.

My mistake. Dynamic Sky is eligible for that Friday (3/14) race mentioned in the last post. I didn't notice that the condition book added that horses that have not won since September 14, 2013 are eligible, so DS could be entered in that race. That doesn't mean that he will be. The race is only 6.5 furlongs, so Dynamic Sky's handlers could be waiting for a race that is over a mile. I think that there is a race like that about a week later at Gulfstream.

For now, I wait until Friday's entries are posted.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:48 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:
Shawklit Won wrote:I have been looking through the condition book at Gulfstream and I couldn't find any races coming up that Dynamic Sky would qualify for. I thought that he would qualify for an allowance race (never won 3 races other than) on this Friday (3/14), but I forgot that DS has won 3 stakes races, which would put him out of even that condition (DS never raced in a maiden or allowance or claiming race).

My mistake. Dynamic Sky is eligible for that Friday (3/14) race mentioned in the last post. I didn't notice that the condition book added that horses that have not won since September 14, 2013 are eligible, so DS could be entered in that race. That doesn't mean that he will be. The race is only 6.5 furlongs, so Dynamic Sky's handlers could be waiting for a race that is over a mile. I think that there is a race like that about a week later at Gulfstream.

For now, I wait until Friday's entries are posted.

Dynamic Sky is not entered in Friday's race (3/14), because there is not such a race (allowance (N3X)) that day. There is not anything at Gulfstream until 3/26 (according to the condition book) for DS. There is an allowance race (N3X) that DS is eligible to run in on that date at 1 1/16 miles, if they have that race (maybe they have trouble filling it at that condition).

If not, then maybe on Florida Derby day (3/29). There are a bunch of stakes races that day at Gulfstream. Some are on turf, or for fillies and/or mares, or are not as good a distance for DS as the possible allowance on 3/26. We will just have to wait and see what happens.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:58 pm

Ontario might just be the best place for Dynamic Sky to stand at stud, regardless of whether DS wins a graded stakes race or not.

I just found out that Woodbine is going to give some pretty good bonuses to different winners of certain allowance races and maiden races that are Ontario bred and/or sired. I think that this will make it very attractive for breeders to breed their mares to Ontario stallions.

I guess that this could be an important point when it comes to where to stand horses for stud, and that includes Dynamic Sky.

I still can't wait to see DS race again.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:24 pm

Dynamic Sky did win the Plate Trial Stakes at Woodbine with a purse of $147,000. It seems like that would be at least equal to a some grade 3 stakes with a purse of $100,000.

Of course, the Plate Trial stakes as well as the million dollar Queens Plate stakes are considered state bred stakes, which I don't know if it means only horses bred in Canada, or only horses bred in Ontario.

I think that the million dollar Queens Plate should be bigger than any $100,000. G3 stakes. I wonder if that would hold true for the $147,000. Plate Trial Stakes?
Shawklit Won.