Dynamic Sky

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Re: Dynamic Sky

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:54 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:Sky Captain is nominated to the 125K listed With Approval Stakes on 8/31. So, does that mean that he will run in the With Approval Stakes? Maybe. If he does run in the With Approval, could he still run in either the million dollar Ricoh Mile Stakes or the 300K Northern Dancer Stales on 9/14? Maybe.

The fact that Sky Captain just had a workout on turf indicates that his stable is considering running him in one of the grass races on 9/14. Nothing to do now but wait and see.

I am guessing that Dynamic Sky will be running in the 300K Northern Dancer Stakes (G1). If that is true, then maybe Sky Captain will run in the Ricoh Woodbine Mile. That way the 2 colts won't be running against each other. But they could.

Well, this is a surprise. Apparently, the With Approval Stakes is not going to be run on 8/31 (Sunday). Sunday's entries have been posted, and the With Approval Stakes is not included in the races. Maybe the date of the With Approval Stakes has been changed to Monday (9/1) or sometime later, or maybe that race is cancelled for some reason. This is the first time I have seen this happening.

So, if the With Approval Stakes is changed to Monday or sometime after, will Sky Captain still run in it? I guess he could. If that race is sometime after, will Sky Captain still run in it and either the Northern Dancer Stakes or the Ricoh Mile? I guess that it depends on how close together the races are. If the races are only a few days apart or about a week apart, then I am sure that Sky Captain won't run in two of the races. It would be either the With Approval or one of the two turf stakes races on 9/14. If the race is Monday, then the stable could be using the With Approval as a tune up for one of the big stakes races on 9/14.

So, where does that leave Dynamic Sky? I think that he will run in the Northern Dancer Stakes. JMO.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:27 pm

The nominations have been posted today for the 300K Northern Dancer Stakes (G1) and the million dollar Ricoh Mile Stakes (also G1) at Woodbine on 9/14. Dynamic Sky and Sky Captain are both nominated to the Northern Dancer and Sky Captain is nominated to the Ricoh Mile as well.

So, Dynamic Sky looks like he will be running in the Northern Dancer (A good choice IMO. DS is still looking for his first graded stakes win, and the competition should be a little easier in the Northern Dancer Stakes. Some horses are shipping in from Europe for the Ricoh Mile and they could be very tough. Wise Dan and some other good ones are also nominated to the Ricoh Mile).

Don't know which race Sky Captain will run in. I think that the connections haven't made up their minds as yet, but I think that the Ricoh Mile is likely. Sky Captain has already won a graded stakes, so if he doesn't win, it won't be a tragedy. Besides, Sky Captain has been hot lately, and even 2nd or 3rd place money should be pretty good.

Maybe the With Approval Stakes won't be run this year. That race isn't listed as running Monday (9/1), so maybe Woodbine won't have it this year. Maybe they had trouble filling it.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:17 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:The nominations have been posted today for the 300K Northern Dancer Stakes (G1) and the million dollar Ricoh Mile Stakes (also G1) at Woodbine on 9/14. Dynamic Sky and Sky Captain are both nominated to the Northern Dancer and Sky Captain is nominated to the Ricoh Mile as well.

So, Dynamic Sky looks like he will be running in the Northern Dancer (A good choice IMO. DS is still looking for his first graded stakes win, and the competition should be a little easier in the Northern Dancer Stakes. Some horses are shipping in from Europe for the Ricoh Mile and they could be very tough. Wise Dan and some other good ones are also nominated to the Ricoh Mile).

Don't know which race Sky Captain will run in. I think that the connections haven't made up their minds as yet, but I think that the Ricoh Mile is likely. Sky Captain has already won a graded stakes, so if he doesn't win, it won't be a tragedy. Besides, Sky Captain has been hot lately, and even 2nd or 3rd place money should be pretty good.

Maybe the With Approval Stakes won't be run this year. That race isn't listed as running Monday (9/1), so maybe Woodbine won't have it this year. Maybe they had trouble filling it.

Actually, the real reason that Dynamic Sky wasn't nominated to the Ricoh Mile is probably because he would not be allowed to run in it anyway. Preference is given to graded stakes winners, and there are more than a dozen graded stakes winners nominated to the Ricoh Mile.

Even Sky Captain might not get in, which is probably why he is also nominated to the Northern Dancer Stakes, just in case. I do think that Sky Captain will get in the Ricoh Mile though.

As for the Northern Dancer Stakes, preference is given to graded stakes winners of over a mile, and there are about 8 of them, including Sky Captain.

So, my guess is that it will be Dynamic Sky in the Northern Dancer and Sky Captain in the Ricoh Mile. It also could be both Dynamic Sky and Sky Captain in the Northern Dancer Stakes, but I have a hunch that Sky Captain will be in the Ricoh Mile Stakes.

I think that the 1 1/2 mile distance in the Northern Dancer is a better distance for Dynamic Sky than the mile in the Ricoh. Maybe the same for Sky Captain as well. Both Dynamic Sky and Sky Captain seem to be able to run all day.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:31 pm

Dynamic Sky is entered in the 300K Northern Dancer Stakes (G1) on Sunday. Sky Captain is not entered in either the Northern Dancer Stakes or the Ricoh Mile. I had a feeling about this when I noticed that he hasn't had a public work out since 9/1 and that work was on the all weather track rather than on the turf.

Now I am hoping that Sky Captain is not injured. I hope to see him in another graded stakes race on an all weather track in the near future, either at Woodbine or somewhere else. Trainer Casse does have a couple of horses entered in the Ricoh Mile.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:46 pm

Second place again for Dynamic Sky in the grade 1 Northern Dancer Stakes. How many times can he come so close to winning one of these graded stakes without winning one? Again, he ran a good race, but just fell short.

He went off at 24 to 1 which surprised me. I thought that he would be at least the 2nd or 3rd favorite. I imagine that the odds will be shorter the next time he races.

There was an objection and an inquiry after the race when the winner bore out in the stretch and bumped Dynamic Sky and another horse. I think that I have seen horses DQ'd for less, but that is the breaks.

Anyway, there should be no doubt that Dynamic Sky is a superior racehorse that has shown remarkable consistency. I hope that it pays off for him.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:31 pm

Third place in the million dollar (865K American) Pattison Stakes today for Dynamic Sky. He is so consistent, finishing in the money in these big graded stakes races so many times. I just wish that he would win one. Maybe next time.

DS has now won over 772K for his connections. If he races next year, then he will probably go over a million. Over $90,000. for today's 3rd place effort. Really not bad considering the horses he was in with.

BTW, stablemate Sky Captain just had a workout. Maybe a Breeders Cup race for him.
Shawklit Won.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:40 pm

Your big horse finally got his win.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:49 pm

Cree wrote:Your big horse finally got his win.

Thank you Cree. I just watched that race. I thought that he could do it. Dynamic Sky has come so close so many times in graded stakes, and I am glad to see that he finally got his graded stakes win.

Gulfstream Park next?
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:12 pm

A good question (where Dynamic Sky will race next). Maybe he is getting a freshening, but I think that he may be racing again in December or January.

Maybe he is going to stud someplace. After all, he has won stakes races on grass and on dirt, and has won a sprint stakes as well as a route stakes. And a real good pedigree IMO (not that I am any expert), being inbred 4x4 to Mr. P., 4x5 x7 to Northern Dancer, with Distorted Humor as BM sire. Seems like most of the bigs are on his pedigree (A.P. Indy, Pulpit, Buckpasser, Forty Niner, Danzig, Secretariat (5X5), Seattle Slew, etc. What more can you ask for? Oh yes, his first 2 dams are stakes winners.

Anyway, I would breed a mare to him, although I doubt that he is going to stud quite yet. Maybe next year.

Then there is Sky Captain. He was having works, but then the workouts stopped, so I wonder if he is hurt or something. If he is, then he may really be going to stud someplace. I hope he is alright and racing again soon.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:19 pm

Don't know when my favorite horse is going to race again. Evidently, DS is getting a freshening right now. Probably see him at Gulfstream in January or February'

Same for Sky Captain, but I suspect that he is injured. Hopefully not a serious one.

Then there is another Oxley/Casse horse named Commandment. Commandment is bred similar to Dynamic Sky with the same sire and BM sire (Sky Mesa, Distorted Humor), yet has been unable to win in 11 tries, his last couple in $50,000. maiden claiming races.

I think that Commandment should stay in MSW races until he wins one. After all, the best of the 3YO maidens have graduated to races against winners, so the competition should be easier by now. Next month, Commandment, if still a maiden, will be racing against 4 year old colts that have not won a race. He should be able to win one of those races. He did finish 2nd in 4 MSW races before, when the competition was probably stiffer. Also, the purses at Gulfstream and Aqueduct are pretty good for the MSW races.

After he breaks his maiden (I am assuming he will), Commandment will be eligible for some starter races. I noticed a possible one coming up at Aqueduct for horses that have raced in a $50,000. claiming race that would have a purse of $50,000. Starter races are a boon to horses that have raced in claiming races, but may have a tough time competing in allowance company. Starter races could give a horse like Commandment time to develop more and not worry about being claimed while still being competitive. Starter races won't count in allowance conditions either.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:25 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:Don't know when my favorite horse is going to race again. Evidently, DS is getting a freshening right now. Probably see him at Gulfstream in January or February'

Same for Sky Captain, but I suspect that he is injured. Hopefully not a serious one.

Then there is another Oxley/Casse horse named Commandment. Commandment is bred similar to Dynamic Sky with the same sire and BM sire (Sky Mesa, Distorted Humor), yet has been unable to win in 11 tries, his last couple in $50,000. maiden claiming races.

I think that Commandment should stay in MSW races until he wins one. After all, the best of the 3YO maidens have graduated to races against winners, so the competition should be easier by now. Next month, Commandment, if still a maiden, will be racing against 4 year old colts that have not won a race. He should be able to win one of those races. He did finish 2nd in 4 MSW races before, when the competition was probably stiffer. Also, the purses at Gulfstream and Aqueduct are pretty good for the MSW races.

After he breaks his maiden (I am assuming he will), Commandment will be eligible for some starter races. I noticed a possible one coming up at Aqueduct for horses that have raced in a $50,000. claiming race that would have a purse of $50,000. Starter races are a boon to horses that have raced in claiming races, but may have a tough time competing in allowance company. Starter races could give a horse like Commandment time to develop more and not worry about being claimed while still being competitive. Starter races won't count in allowance conditions either.

Concerning Commandment, I think that I might opt to run him at Aqueduct during the winter meet. The purses are very high there. Even the maiden claiming races ($40,000. claiming price) have purses of $41,000., which is more than double the purses that he ran for in his last couple of races. The straight maiden races (MSW) at Aqueduct have purses of $60,000.

I hope that Commandment does race in the MSW races again, and then maybe the starter races mentioned above after he is done with maiden races. Maybe at Aqueduct where the purses are the highest for Maiden and allowance races (I think). Depends on how his connections feel about having some of their horses racing in New York during the winter. They just might rather race in Florida regardless of the purses.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:41 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:
Shawklit Won wrote:Don't know when my favorite horse is going to race again. Evidently, DS is getting a freshening right now. Probably see him at Gulfstream in January or February'

Concerning Commandment, I think that I might opt to run him at Aqueduct during the winter meet. The purses are very high there. Even the maiden claiming races ($40,000. claiming price) have purses of $41,000., which is more than double the purses that he ran for in his last couple of races. The straight maiden races (MSW) at Aqueduct have purses of $60,000.

I hope that Commandment does race in the MSW races again, and then maybe the starter races mentioned above after he is done with maiden races. Maybe at Aqueduct where the purses are the highest for Maiden and allowance races (I think). Depends on how his connections feel about having some of their horses racing in New York during the winter. They just might rather race in Florida regardless of the purses.

Another thing. Once that Commandment turns 4 on January 1st, there won't be as many straight maiden (MSW) races for him.. It is almost like if a colt doesn't win by 4, then he is only fit to run in claiming races. At Gulfstream , the condition book has only one MSW race on dirt for 4 and up on the 9th of January and another on the 19th of that month. At least at Aqueduct, there could also be those $50,000. starter races that Commandment would be eligible for. Also, the maiden claiming races of $40,000. claiming price and above have purses of over $40,000.

Commandment is not in the same class as Dynamic Sky or Sky Captain as a racehorse, but I think that he is at least a worthwhile racehorse. He has finished 2nd in MSW races at Gulfstream Park, Churchill Downs (twice), and Keeneland. It's not like he is finishing up the track in $5,000. claiming races.

Anyway, good luck to Commandment, no matter where he races next.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:36 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:
Shawklit Won wrote:

Another thing. Once that Commandment turns 4 on January 1st, there won't be as many straight maiden (MSW) races for him.. It is almost like if a colt doesn't win by 4, then he is only fit to run in claiming races. At Gulfstream , the condition book has only one MSW race on dirt for 4 and up on the 9th of January and another on the 19th of that month. At least at Aqueduct, there could also be those $50,000. starter races that Commandment would be eligible for. Also, the maiden claiming races of $40,000. claiming price and above have purses of over $40,000.

Commandment is not in the same class as Dynamic Sky or Sky Captain as a racehorse, but I think that he is at least a worthwhile racehorse. He has finished 2nd in MSW races at Gulfstream Park, Churchill Downs (twice), and Keeneland. It's not like he is finishing up the track in $5,000. claiming races.

Anyway, good luck to Commandment, no matter where he races next.

1973 was the year that the legendary Secretariat won the triple crown, set a couple of world records, and also some track records. There was another horse that year that was kind of a legend for different reasons. His name was Jacques Who. Jacques Who is famous for finishing 2nd in 13 races out of his first 20 races. He also did not win any of those races. He is probably the most famous horse for having "seconditis," or continually finishing in second place.

Jacques Who was really a good racehorse, and did eventually win not only some races, but at least one stakes race. He ended up having about 116 races, so he was a pretty tough horse.

I wonder if Commandment is this type of horse. I don't expect him to have over 100 races, or finish 2nd in 13 of his first 20 races without winning. In 11 races, he has finished 2nd five times and 3rd twice. So, Commandment has been in the money 7 times in 11 races without a win. His last couple of races were $50,000. maiden claiming races. His first 9 were MSW races at major tracks.

I hope to see Commandment in MSW races again and maybe big money starter races. Maybe, like Jacques Who, he will end up being a stakes horse sometime in the future, and even end up winning one or more like Jacques Who did.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:34 pm

Oops! I got that wrong. Jacques Who was 13 second places in 20 races in 1973, but he was 0 for 10 in 1972 with not even being in the money for that year. That means that Jacques was 13 seconds in his first 30 races without a win. Jacques Who had a terrible juvenile season, but improved a lot in his sophomore racing season, but still could not win.

So, at this point in his career, Commandment is not doing so bad compared to Jacques Who at the same point. I hope that he gets his first win soon, and I hope it is in a straight maiden race (MSW) or a $50,000. starter race.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:13 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:Oops! I got that wrong. Jacques Who was 13 second places in 20 races in 1973, but he was 0 for 10 in 1972 with not even being in the money for that year. That means that Jacques was 13 seconds in his first 30 races without a win. Jacques Who had a terrible juvenile season, but improved a lot in his sophomore racing season, but still could not win.

So, at this point in his career, Commandment is not doing so bad compared to Jacques Who at the same point. I hope that he gets his first win soon, and I hope it is in a straight maiden race (MSW) or a $50,000. starter race.

It might seem unusual to post so much about a maiden colt like Commandment, but what the heck.

I noticed that on Friday (12/26), There is a $50,000. starter race at Gulfstream Park, according to the condition book, but of course, that could change. The purse is $32.000. and it is for 3 year old colts and geldings (maybe fillies too) that have raced in a $50,000. or less claiming race.

Maybe that was the plan for Commandment all along. Putting Commandment in $50,000. maiden claiming races may have been a very smart move by the Casse team. After all, Commandment was 0 for 9, so they had a good chance to get away with having him in those claiming races without him being claimed. Now he is eligible for those $50,000. starter races at Gulfstream and Aqueduct. If that was the plan, then it worked, and was clever planning. That starter race is listed in the condition book for 7 furlongs.

There may also be a MSW race for 3YO horses at Aqueduct (inner track)with a purse of $60,000. (condition book) on Friday. I think that it may be a good race for Commandment to enter if it is run. There should be $50,000. starter races with a $50,000. purse during Aqueduct's winter meet, so that might be the ideal place for Commandment to spend the winter. There is not that much in the way of races at Gulfstream for Commandment. JMO for what it is worth.
Shawklit Won.