Dynamic Sky

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Re: Dynamic Sky

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:14 pm

Nothing yet for Commandment through 12/28 at either Aqueduct or Gulfstream Park. There really isn't a race that would be appropriate for Commandment at those tracks on 12/26, 12/27, or 12/28. I thought that he might be in a MSW or starter race at one of those racetracks.

I don't have any idea where he will race next, or if they are giving him a freshening. Maybe Commandment will end up racing at Oaklawn, where he had his last workout. Of course, being that Commandment is still a maiden, his handlers will probably give priority to their stakes horses, and they do have their share of them. They can't race everywhere, so the majority of their horses will probably be where the best stakes races are for their stakes horses (Gulfstream and Santa Anita.). So, I don't know what Commandment's chances are of racing at Aqueduct, where it appears that the best races for him are (MSW and $50,000 starter races).

BTW, Jacques Who did end up having a stud career despite a terrible start to his career and being the poster horse for seconditis. So, maybe there is hope for Commandment.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:19 am

I think that it will be Oaklawn Park for Commandment. The meet doesn't start until 1/9/15, but it probably won't hurt Commandment to get a little break. I think that it will be Oaklawn because he not only just had a workout there, but he raced there last year. That should be good, because the purses are pretty good there, and it would be familiar ground for Commandment. Don't know if that would help him, but he may be more relaxed around familiar surroundings.

I know that it is unusual to talk about a colt like Commandment. Most horse conversations are about big time stakes winners like maybe Secretariat, Seattle Slew, Spectacular Bid, etc., but I believe that lesser racehorses can be interesting to follow.

Commandment has shown some speed in some of his races, and I think that he is a better horse than his record indicates. He seems to have seconditis. Maybe he has been unlucky. Maybe he likes to run with horses instead of in front of them. Anyway, he has my interest up.

Getting back to Oaklawn, I noticed in the condition book that there may be a $75,000. maiden claiming race for 3 and up (Commandment will be considered a 4 year old on January 1st), with a $40,000. purse. Maybe his handlers have their eye on that race. I would like to see him back in MSW races ($60,000. purses for MSW races at Oaklawn). Two things I want for Commandment: MSW races until he wins one and no gelding.

Most horses get better at 4 barring injuries, so I expect Commandment to not only win a MSW race in 2015, but also move on to allowance races and win those also. Who knows; if Commandment does improve enough, and wins a couple of allowance races eventually, then he may even end up in stakes races. It has happened before to horses with worse records than Commandment, Jacques Who for one.

So, good luck to Commandment, at Oaklawn or wherever he races. Go Commandment.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:47 pm

Commandment had another workout at Oaklawn Park this morning. I guess that it now looks like it will be Oaklawn where he will race. That is good. I should have known that his handlers would do what is best for Commandment. They know a lot more about the business than I do.

Oaklawn also has starter races for 3 and up colts that have run in $50,000. claiming races in the condition book. The purse for those races is $40,000. So, if and when Commandment breaks his maiden (in a MSW race I hope), then he maybe can race in those starter races until he wins one, before racing in the allowance conditions (like N1X).

Just like the maiden races, most of the best horses (4 and Up) have already won the first level allowance races. So, by the time that Commandment wins a maiden race (and maybe a starter race), the competition should not be as stiff as before.

I am really starting to look forward to Commandment's 2015 races.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:36 pm

Just a couple more things about Commandment.

(1) Maybe it is time for the blinkers to come off of Commandment. Commandment finished 2nd in his first two races (both MSW) without blinkers. He had an off race in his third try, and he has had blinkers on ever since. In eight more races, he really hasn't done any better than he did in his first two. Maybe the blinkers are not helping. I might try a race or two without them. JMO, for what it is worth.

(2) I said before that most of the best 4 year old colts are probably through the first level allowance conditions, so Commandment may be able to win such a race (maybe not on his first try but probably soon). Of course, the best choice is a maiden race, but if no maiden races are available for 4 year old horses, then maybe an allowance (N1X) until there are some. Probably best to wait for a MSW race, but if Commandment has to wait a month or so for an appropriate maiden race, then maybe he should try a first level allowance (N1X).

To sum up, I think that I would put Commandment in a MSW race at Oaklawn first. When he wins one, then maybe a $50,000. starter race if available, then allowance (NX1). I believe that he does better in sprints, so I would stick with sprints. I would also try blinkers off.

I am just a fan, so I may not know what I am talking about. However these suggestions make sense to me, for whatever that is worth. Maybe not much.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:50 pm

Commandment showed much promise in his first two races (both without blinkers) as a 2 year old finishing 2nd in those MSW races, first at Churchill Downs and his 2nd at Gulfstream Park. In his first, he really showed some speed at the end, but was too far back to catch the winner. Anyway, it looked like Commandment had a very bright future. Now, he is about to turn 4, and has not won in eleven tries, but has finished 2nd 5 times and 3rd twice. Anyway, take off the blinkers and I believe that Commandment will win soon, even in straight maiden (MSW) races. JMO.

Commandment is like Dynamic Sky's slightly younger brother (same sire and BM sire) sort of, that seems to be having a hard time of it. I think that he can do better, barring injury.

Commandment's dam and dam's sire were sprinters, but have won stakes at over a mile (talking about his dam, Heavenly Humor, and dam's sire, Distorted Humor). Anyway, he probably could win at over a mile, but it looks for now like his best chance is in a sprint.

Looking forward to the Oaklawn meet.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:51 pm

Dynamic Sky is entered in the San Gabriel Stakes (G2) on Saturday (1/3) at Santa Anita. The race is on turf at 1 1/8 miles, and goes off at 4 PM (Pacific time). To no one's surprise, I hope that Dynamic Sky wins there. Winning a graded stakes race at Santa Anita would be a prestigious win for my favorite horse (no longer a colt as of 1/1/15). It would also put him over a million dollars in lifetime earnings. Go Dynamic Sky.

BTW, Commandment had a 5 furlong work today at Oaklawn Park. The work was timed at 1:00:80. It was the fastest 5 furlong work at Oaklawn Park today out of 84 horses. I hope that this means that Commandment is ready to win now. Also hope he enters a straight maiden race (MSW) without blinkers.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:50 pm

6th place for Dynamic Sky today, but he really didn't run a bad race. He just got a bad trip, being blocked in the stretch. By the time he got through to make a run, it was too late. As it was, DS only finished 2 lengths behind. I think that he he might have won with a better trip. The time was 1:48 and change for the 1 1/8 furlongs. Dynamic Sky also might have won if the race was longer.

Just hope that he stays healthy, and I expect to see him win more graded stakes races this year.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:09 pm

Commandment is entered in a maiden claiming race for a tag of $25,000. on Saturday. Was kind of hoping to see him back in a straight maiden (MSW) race, but not to be. Apparently, the barn has given up on him. Too bad, but someone might get a good deal on him for only $25,000. I have a feeling that he will get claimed at that price.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:25 pm

Commandment finished 2nd (again) today at Oaklawn and was claimed, as predicted. Steven Asmussen was the claimant, and I hope that this is good news for Commandment.

Steven Asmussen is one of the leading trainers in Louisiana, and races out of that state often as well. I think that he has a pretty big outfit. Anyway, I think that he has made a good claim for only $25,000.

Three wishes for Commandment:

(1) Straight maiden races (MSW) and allowance races after he gets a win.

(2) Blinkers off.

(3) No gelding.

Steve Asmussen is a pretty successful trainer, so maybe the claim will be a good thing. We will probably find out pretty soon.

That is six 2nd places for Commandment in 12 races for him, along with 2 third places. Four of the second place finishes were in straight maiden (MSW) races at places like Churchill Downs, Gulfstream Park, and Oaklawn.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:13 pm

One reason that I think that Commandment was a good claim for Asmussen is that Commandment still has all of his conditions to go through. So, even if he keeps running in claiming races, the barn should still make money with him, although I hope to see him in allowance races.

Apparently, Commandment has seconditis, based on the fact that he has finished second 6 times in 12 races; 4 times in straight maiden (MSW) races. The 4 MSW races were at Churchill Downs (twice), Gulfstream Park, and Keeneland, and a 3rd place in a MSW race at Oaklawn Park. Commandment continued to finish 2nd and 3rd when entered in maiden claiming races. So, it doesn't seem to matter what level of maiden race that Commandment is in, he still seems to be able to finish 2nd. Better to finish 2nd for $60,000. than $20,000., I would think.

Anyway, good luck to Commandment in his new home.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:53 pm

Right after I got done posting here, I found out that Commandment had been gelded. I don't particularly like it, but I can understand it. Commandment had two chances to be a stallion, slim and none. Now it's none.

The good news is that Commandment is entered in a MSW race at Oaklawn Park with a purse of $60,000. on the 29th of January. I would not be surprised to see Commandment win it or at least finish in the money.

As a gelding, Commandment will probably keep racing until he breaks a leg or something. So, he could race until he is 8 or 9 or even longer, and if he races that long, he will probably end up being claimed a few more times before he is through.

Just hope that Commandment ends up in a happy home when his racing days are over.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:57 pm

Commandment finally won a race today; a straight maiden (MSW) race. His winnings were over $36,000. for the win, which easily covers the claiming price (25K) that Steve Asmussen paid for him. I knew that Asmussen would make money on Commandment. It was a great claim by him.

I wish that Commandment wasn't gelded, but he probably wouldn't have been a stallion anyway. I doubt that he will ever win a stakes race, but you never can tell.

Commandment's time in his win today was a not particularly impressive 1:40 and change for the mile race. I think that he has raced better in some of his 2nd place performances.

Now, being a gelding and barring injury, he will probably end up in claiming races up the road and may end up being claimed a few more times before his racing days are over. Just hope that Commandment winds up in a nice home when he is through racing.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:27 am

Commandment's win yesterday was in part because the 4 year old maiden ranks have been sort of depleted by now, although there are sometimes good horses that have not gotten a win yet due to getting a late start due to injuries or whatever. True, there were some 3 year old colts in that race, but at this stage of development, a 3 year old colt should not be able to compete with a 4 year old colt, everything being equal. In February, a 3 year old should be clearly a superior horse to be able to beat a 4 year old.

By the same token, Commandment should now have no trouble competing with other 4 year old colts and most 3 year old colts in an allowance (N1X) race, or an entry level allowance race at any track. Not that Commandment would be a sure winner in such a race, but he should be competitive.

I think that the Oxley/Casse team are interested mostly in stakes level horses, and they probably figured that Commandment would never reach that level, and thus gave up on him. I wonder if they gave up on Commandment too soon?
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:17 am

I thought that I was through writing about Commandment for now, but I thought of something else. Commandment is still eligible for those lucrative starter races at Oaklawn. The nice thing about those races is that he has a chance to make some good money without using up his allowance conditions if he wins. Also, he doesn't have to be at risk for being claimed. That claim by Asmussen really was a win win for Steven Asmussen. I believe that some of those starter races have purses of $50,000.

Meanwhile, Dynamic Sky and Sky Captain have both raced this year and raced well, IMO, but had bad trips, getting blocked in the stretch. I believe that both of those horses can win more graded stakes races, but have to get clear runs in the stretch.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:39 pm

Commandment is entered in a starter race, as I suggested, on Saturday (3/7) at Oaklawn Park. I doubt if the barn did it because of my suggestion, but I think it is a smart move. The purse is $29,000. It should be a good race for Commandment because he is racing against claimers. I would not be surprised if he is the favorite. Only bad thing is that Commandment is high weight carrying 124 lbs. All others are under 120 except for one carrying 121 lbs.

Bigger news is that Dynamic Sky is racing in the "Big Cap" Saturday. I hope that he does well. He will have some tough competition, including Shared Belief. I would love to see him win this one.

Sky Captain is racing Friday at Gulfstream in an allowance race. So, a big weekend for me. Some of my 3 year olds from my virtual stable are also in stakes races this weekend. So, looking forward. Hope that they all do well. Trouble is, some of my 3 year oldss are racing against each other in the same race.
Shawklit Won.