Lucky Pulpit

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Lucky Pulpit

Postby Joltman » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:17 pm

OK - 5 questions: answer any!

1. Where does he stand next year?
2. For how much?
3. How many mares go his way?
4. Would you go to him?
5. What kind of mare?

just wondering...

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Re: Lucky Pulpit

Postby Mahubah » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:47 pm

1) So far, everything I've heard suggests that he will remain at Harris Farms. His owners are very supportive of California breeding.
2) His fee was raised to $10,000 this spring per the Paulick Report. It might go a bit higher but I would doubt more than $15,000 (nothing official there though).
3) He had 124 or 125 mares this year, probably about the maximum he will be allowed.
4) If I had a mare I thought would be well suited by him, I'd certainly consider it.
5) A mare returning Buckpasser or other War Admiral/*La Troienne cross strains would be high on the list. His other two black type stakes winners are out of mares from the male line of Deputy Minister, and I doubt he has seen many of those. He has enough bone and substance to be a good choice for a refined, feminine type of mare.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Re: Lucky Pulpit

Postby kimberley mine » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:31 pm

5. What sort of mare?

Pulpit and Tapit both have been going lights out with Wild Again mares. Worth a try. As Mahubah said, Salt Lake and Deputy Commander mares in California.

As far as him leaving, between the recent pensionings and deaths of Bertrando, Cee's Tizzy, Salt Lake, In Excess, Benchmark, and Tribal Rule, and the fact that stalwarts Unusual Heat and Stormin Fever are getting up there in age, Harris Farms has the opportunity to make their horse one of the top in the state. In Kentucky, Lucky Pulpit would be competing with the likes of Tapit, Sky Mesa, and the young but beautifully-bred Power Broker, plus Tapizar. If he's that good, the good mares will come to him, just as the dam of Musical Chimes went to California to In Excess.