Nicking vs. pedigree analysis

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

da hossman
Allowance Winner

Re: Nicking vs. pedigree analysis

Postby da hossman » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:22 am

OK folks, came across a very nice Candy Ride colt in the sale (#396) that is a "D" nick....his 2nd dam is by Storm Cat, and Storm Cat mares have been very successful with Candy Ride (Shared Belief, Sidney's Candy, Capt. Candyman Can, Evita Argentina, Looking Cool, Sweet Swap, Candyman E, Ride n Reed, etc). This historical success is so obvious I had to pull up a nick rating as I was mystified with the "D" rating - and remember I am no fan of nicks (kind of like taking a single shot pistol to war). Looking further at the nick results one sees that the nick rating follows the 1st dam's sireline, so it is considering only the Fappiano sireline and not considering the Storm Cat influence.

This colt is physically reminiscent of Storm Cat more than the Fappiano line, but because he has a "D" nick those that adhere to the nicks will not consider him.

Would you throw him out based upon his "D" nick rating? I sure as hell will not!
A difference of opinion is what makes horse racing and missionaries.

Will Rogers

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:39 am

The nick rating is based on the sireline over the damsire. Period. Nicks are historical rather than predictive. If you think that horse is a good one and prove it, the nick will adjust accordingly to an A. For After. After that horse wins he will be an A nick.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

da hossman
Allowance Winner

Postby da hossman » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:54 pm

My client and I tried valiantly to purchase #396 but could not hang with Mark Casse - in fact we were not even the immediate underbidder. Final purchase price $450,000 for a "D nick" - it would appear the nick rating was not a consideration :shock:
A difference of opinion is what makes horse racing and missionaries.

Will Rogers

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:30 am

da hossman wrote:My client and I tried valiantly to purchase #396 but could not hang with Mark Casse - in fact we were not even the immediate underbidder. Final purchase price $450,000 for a "D nick" - it would appear the nick rating was not a consideration :shock:

http://apps.keeneland.com/sales/Sep14/pdfs/396.pdf

Looks like you dodged a bullet there.

http://bloodstock.racingpost.com/dam/da ... geny_sales

$48,790 in earnins for savings account from 3 pricey horses and only 1 to hit the track.

If you look at the nick of savings account
http://www.truenicks.com/free-reports/h ... ld%20Hoots

Instead of 2 SW there are also 10 SP or better some G1SP.
This I would see not as a D nick but a higly successful Nick.

Lets follow this horse to see if he gets to the track and can win a race, my bet he will end up running in low level claimers.
Edited by Moderator

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:26 pm

I've mentioned elsewhere that I follow nicks, not as a sole criterion, but just page through the Bloodhorse some time and see what percentages of the graded winners are A and up. Lots. It's far from the whole story, but part of the story.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.