Tattersalls Yearling Sale Book 1 Catalogue & Paternal Lines

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

jellac
Grade I Winner

Re: Tattersalls Yearling Sale Book 1 Catalogue & Paternal Li

Postby jellac » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:17 am

Thanks for providing. It is very interesting reading in contemplating the future direction of thoroughbred breeding for flat racing in England/Europe generally. Maybe I'm just sentimental or a bit old fashioned in my thinking or out of touch with modern genetic theory/analysis as regards the importance of outcrossing in breeding among closely related lines (guilty on all counts I admit); but I am a bit saddened/perturbed by this note in the analysis of sirelines represented by this Tattersalls' catalog......

... The Indian Ridge/Ahonoora branch of the Djebel line, represented by just a single yearling by Compton Place, has almost disappeared from the catalogue..

Looking ahead when the best of this lot are proven race horses/G 1 winners....and are retired to stud/breeding careers....who will be brought to them? Their 'half sister' or 'first cousin' (so to speak, in "human" terms)? Mind you this is NOT a reference to thoroughbred breeding being 'incestuous' - but rather a concern about where future outcrossing strength will come from?

Thought about this a bit more......maybe the answer is that the females in a pedigree are the continually interwoven 'diverse' strands from various origins that 'are' strengthened when continually 'plaited' with sire line DNA strands that have been selectively bred/evolved to the extent that they largely represent variations on a theme, the Northern Dancer or the Native Dancer theme? There is something to be said in getting consistency of character - of 'type' - down such that you some predictability as to physical and performance expectations from a resulting cross. Setting "type" for selectively bred individuals has historically been based on inbreeding to the 'same' significant individual or his heirs that meet the definition/expectations of that "type-y" model being sought.

3nutmeg
Maiden Special Weight

Re: Tattersalls Yearling Sale Book 1 Catalogue & Paternal Li

Postby 3nutmeg » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:00 pm

I do agree with both of your points. Where do you think the out crosses will come from? You can find some but they don't good race records. Would you use one that didn't have a great record, but just for the diversity of genes?