Sham

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Sham

Postby geowarrior » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:14 am

A work colleague watched the Secretariat movie over the weekend, and she was asking me if Sham became a good sire.

I can't say I know the answer to this. Can anyone weigh in?

jellac
Grade I Winner

Re: Sham

Postby jellac » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:01 pm

GeoWarrior - Here's a snippet from what Wikipedia has on Sham -

While Sham did not race again after the Belmont Stakes, he was not retired until July 1973. A hairline fracture of his leg was discovered while he was being prepared to meet Secretariat again at Saratoga, and his racing career officially ended.[2] Sham was first sent to stud duty at Spendthrift Farm and later to Walmac International near Lexington, Kentucky. Some of his progeny included stakes winners Arewehavingfunyet (f), Jaazeiro, and Safe Play, the dam of stakes winner Defensive Play. He died of a heart attack on April 3, 1993, at the age 23. At necropsy, his heart was found to weigh 18 pounds, about twice the size of the average Thoroughbred heart. He is buried on the Walmac farm.

sulphurfire
Allowance Winner

Re: Sham

Postby sulphurfire » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:36 pm

"The rewards, whether for winning or for losing, offer almost irresistible temptations to race a two-year-old more times than are good for them." John Hay Whitney at the annual testimonial dinner in October 1963 for the Thoroughbred Club of America