Red Rocks

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

ides of ice
Maiden Special Weight

Red Rocks

Postby ides of ice » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:27 pm

I saw this on Thoroughbredreview.com. At stud for $12,500. Jason says this fee is a joke-true/?
He that lives in a glass house throws no stones.

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Re: Red Rocks

Postby Patuxet » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:54 pm

I would have to agree with Jason. Turf sires are a hard sell in this country.

The fact that no one has even bothered to add any information to his pedigree profile on this site would seem to indicates a profound lack of interest in him. That his first two crops (oldest 4YOs) have shown little whilst racing on his preferred surface in Europe is hardly encouraging. And here in the US there are better Galileo options available for less – classic winner Treasure Beach would be my preferred choice.
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:19 pm

I've noticed some of Calumet's stallions have had some odd pricing. Raison d'Etat is now $7500, but I believe he was double that last year. They were banking on his pedigree, the horse only won a MSW and an allowance.
I seem to recall Eye of the Leopard was priced at $10,000 there, but he has since moved on - he has a lovely pedigree, but his biggest wins were in the Queens Plate, which is a restricted race.
I know they tried with Americain, but he didn't prove to be extremely popular.
Maybe they think since Galileo is so popular, they can price Red Rocks there, but so far he has been rather disappointing.

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:42 pm

With advancing age the old memory Rolodex doesn't spin as fast. I only just recalled that three years ago Ashford, by comparison, offered me (by mail) a $2000 season to Cape Blanco, winner of the Irish Derby and three US turf G1s.
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

truehoncho
Suckling

Postby truehoncho » Fri May 01, 2015 7:44 am

I have seen a few of his yearlings and they were'nt great. Neeeds to be 3k in europe for a few national hunt types. He would get a few mares that way.