Hampton Court

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

wallinga
Restricted Stakes Winner

Hampton Court

Postby wallinga » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:02 pm

I see this fella is coming stateside to Spendthrift.

Haven't seen him in the flesh without a jockey up but he seemed to have a fair bit of quality on the track and for those of you in the price bracket, there isn't a better sire of sires in Australia at present than Redoute's Choice. He is a freak.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: Hampton Court

Postby Cree » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:18 pm

Don't know much about this horse, but that's a nice Canadian female family in there. I love (LOVE) seeing Vice Regent in a pedigree. All the best to him.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:14 am

It's an interesting move but not one I would have made.

Danehill has been a kiss of death in North America. There isn't a single stallion in the top 100 sires in North America in the last 3 years that has Danehill anywhere in his pedigree. The closest one to that mark is Silent Name, who got to 105 in 2014, and he's got Danehill as a broodmare sire. A few sons and grandsons of Danehill have made it over here, most of whom quietly faded into obscurity. The highest-profile stallion in NA with Danehill in his pedigree is Noble Mission, who is as beautifully bred as they come and he's up against it in North America.

wallinga
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby wallinga » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:56 pm

I think it's difficult to make a conclusion based on the sample size. North Light is probably the best Danehill stallion to retire in NA racetrack performance wise, and he had next to no impact for the Danehill line, but he was a pretty poor sire all round.
This guy is not priced to be a super sire, but plenty of Redoute's Choice's cheapies have enjoyed success. I will be interested initially to see how he is received.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:00 pm

I kinda wish his pedigree wasn't a NA female line. There are plenty of other Broken Vow, Vice Regents etc. Would have been nice to see some other AUS horses in the female fam.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Cryptic Ninja
Yearling

Postby Cryptic Ninja » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:32 am

The majority of successful Danehill stallions are sprinter/milers types. Unfortunately, Hampton Court is not that type which reflects his stallion fee despite being a G1 winner. Has the champion mare Makybe Diva And G2 winner Musket in his immediate family, but they haven't gone on to produce anything noteworthy in the breeding shed.

I don't see this guy being the one to put the Danehill line on the map for NA.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:29 am

wallinga wrote:I think it's difficult to make a conclusion based on the sample size. North Light is probably the best Danehill stallion to retire in NA racetrack performance wise, and he had next to no impact for the Danehill line, but he was a pretty poor sire all round.
This guy is not priced to be a super sire, but plenty of Redoute's Choice's cheapies have enjoyed success. I will be interested initially to see how he is received.

It's not just stallions at stud, you see it in who is buying what racing stock, who is winning, and who is showing up to be a broodmare. Despite the massive impact he made in Aus/NZ and Europe, Danehill just isn't around North America to any substantial margin. Among broodmares, you have the dams of US-bred graded stakes winners Henrythenavigator, Campanologist, Midships, Meeznah, Divine Proportions, Whipper, Minorette, Hit It A Bomb, etc. You just don't see US-bred foals out of Danehill mares with all that frequency, unless you're Juddmonte sending Banks Hill to Kingmambo.

Given that Danehill was such a sire sensation around the world, that he was only 5 years younger than Sadlers Wells, and that he had so many foals, he *should* have made inroads into North America. He didn't. Juddmonte's 3 full brothers by Danehill out of Hasili could have been an easy way to get one of them here, probably Champs Elysees who had the best performance in North America, and they kept him in Europe.

Don't get me wrong....Redoute's Choice is a superb stallion. No doubt about that. Just....Hampton Court is up against it both commercially and as a racehorse sire in North America.

wallinga
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby wallinga » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:58 pm

You make several good points