Itsmyluckyday

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

johnrr88
Weanling

Itsmyluckyday

Postby johnrr88 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:58 pm

He's a bit under the radar right now, but I'm looking for feedback on his foals .
He was an excellent race horse , of course, and I have a Lion Heart mare that I'm thinking of sending to him.
First yearlings are this year.
Any early buzz on this guy?
thanks, john

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Re: Itsmyluckyday

Postby Tappiano » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:32 am

Are you breeding to race or sell? There were 12 entered in the Keeneland November sale, seven were outs, three sold and two were RNA (one with no bids). As part of the Spendthrift programs, I have heard people have been reluctant to pay much for foals by those stallions. I don't know how true that is, but this is a really bad market if you're a seller and have a foal by a lower end (fee).

He covered 76 mares last year and 126 the previous year. Of the 126 there are 88 registered foals. His average for in foal mares last year was 9,200 so if you are breeding to sell you may find it really tough. He was not one of the stallions I looked at the few times I visited Spendthrift so I cannot offer up any feedback on him, but after thinking long and hard about the farm and their various programs I didn't opt to breed to one of their stallions.

While I will miss selecting stallions for my mare as I sold her, I will not miss how sad a state the market is in or how frustrating it is to watch what's going on and not be able to do a darn thing about it.

You might reach out to some of the consignors who had some of the weanlings entered in the sales. Warrandale had a few consigned, I can't imagine they wouldn't give you feedback and I know the folks at Spendthrift will tell you what they've observed as well (such and such a stallion needs leggy mares or straight legs, etc).